Hittin' the links: Golf talk

I'm very mediocre at golf but I golfed a "loose" 54 this morning over 9.

Loose? Might be a loose nut on the end of the shaft. :lol:

Hey! Leave my fellow duffer alone!

Duffers?? I thought we were hackers. :lol:

macgregor-vip-v-foil.jpg

Curious what kind of irons do you'all hit. I've been playing with these MacGregor VIP Tourneys. I love the look and feel of them. But they're not the easiest club to hit. (Although they're easier to hit than my previous MacGregor PMB Tourneys. lol)

I been thinking about getting a set of Bridgestone J40s. Also a nice looking club. They look a lot like my VIPs, but are more forgiving. They are actually a cavity back club rather than a muscle back like the VIPs. I've seen Bridgestone J40 combo sets with the 4/5/6 irons in Bridgestone's dual pocket design, which are even more forgiving that the Bridgestone J40 cavity back.

The huge windstorm on Monday blew down several dozen trees on my regular golf course. Will be closed for a week or so. Unfortunately it didn't blow down the huge oak tree that gives me fits about 190 yards out on the right side of the dogleg right 9th fairway. :hmmph

macgregor-vip-v-foil.jpg

Curious what kind of irons do you'all hit. I've been playing with these MacGregor VIP Tourneys. I love the look and feel of them. But they're not the easiest club to hit. (Although they're easier to hit than my previous MacGregor PMB Tourneys. lol)

I been thinking about getting a set of Bridgestone J40s. Also a nice looking club. They look a lot like my VIPs, but are more forgiving. They are actually a cavity back club rather than a muscle back like the VIPs. I've seen Bridgestone J40 combo sets with the 4/5/6 irons in Bridgestone's dual pocket design, which are even more forgiving that the Bridgestone J40 cavity back.

Unless you are a lower handicapper, you probably shouldn't be playing muscle back/blade irons. The cavity back irons are just more forgiving, which most amateur players need. I think you and I probably are in the same boat where we like the thin view of a blade/muscle back, but need the forgiveness of a cavity back iron. Those can be tough to find.

• Fire 1

Unless you are a lower handicapper, you probably shouldn't be playing muscle back/blade irons. The cavity back irons are just more forgiving, which most amateur players need. I think you and I probably are in the same boat where we like the thin view of a blade/muscle back, but need the forgiveness of a cavity back iron. Those can be tough to find.

Yeah, that's the conclusion I've reached. And that's why I'm looking at the Bridgestones. I've played muscleback MacGregors for about 15 years. First Macgregor Tourney PMBs, then the VIPs. I still like them a lot, but could probly improve my distance consistency with something a bit more forgiving. So I'm switching over to a set of Bridgestone J40 combos. Project X regular flex rifle shafts with forged heads that get progressively more forgiving through the set. LINK LINK2

Yeah, that's the conclusion I've reached. And that's why I'm looking at the Bridgestones. I've played muscleback MacGregors for about 15 years. First Macgregor Tourney PMBs, then the VIPs. I still like them a lot, but could probly improve my distance consistency with something a bit more forgiving. So I'm switching over to a set of Bridgestone J40 combos. Project X regular flex rifle shafts with forged heads that get progressively more forgiving through the set. LINK LINK2

Look like a nice set of irons. I would love to update/upgrade my set of irons, but I just don't play enough to justify the cost. I am playing once or twice a month right now, and don't anticipate playing more as my kids activities ramp up.

Anyone know anything about the Taylormade Speed Blade HL irons? Have been shopping around and saw these the other day. $399 gets you a new set. Didn't have time to hit them at all. Was wondering if anyone on here plays them or not.

They're a nice looking iron. I played with Taylormade woods for several years. But not their irons. Not sure I know anyone who plays the Speed Blade HL irons.

Anyone know anything about the Taylormade Speed Blade HL irons? Have been shopping around and saw these the other day. $399 gets you a new set. Didn't have time to hit them at all. Was wondering if anyone on here plays them or not.

They're a nice looking iron. I played with Taylormade woods for several years. But not their irons. Not sure I know anyone who plays the Speed Blade HL irons

I have an older set of Taylormade irons now. Really like the way they feel. Just need to upgrade them as they are getting outdated.

Had a chance to play 18 this evening at Miracle Hills here in Omaha. Not the toughest course ever. Found out I'm better off being 120-150 out as opposed to 50-70. Apparently full AW-9iron is a good distance for me. Only had 13 putts on the back and shot 78. Not going to complain with that.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My 5 year old kid participated in a kid's golf program at a golf course near our house this morning. There was a mix up on the info about the last day's session today, and when we showed up we found out that a parent needed to play with him for two hours. (Woo hoo--I "have" to play hooky for a couple hours so I can play golf with my boy!) The only problem was, we had driven my wife's car and I didn't have any clubs. I asked the club pro if there were any clubs I could borrow. I figured he'd have some old practice clubs laying around someplace. Instead, he goes down to the club storage area and brings up his own full set of clubs. He hands me his clubs, pulls out a couple of Pro-V1Xs from his bag, and says, "have fun." Wow, just wow! Is that going beyond the call of duty or what? :lol:

btw, His stiff shaft Titleist driver was much harder for me to hit than my own Ping driver with regular flex. The stiff shaft and 9.5 loft on his driver had me hitting everything low, about half the height of my normal tee shots. But I actually hit his 54 degree Ping wedge much better than I hit my own 52 degree Vokey.

• Fire 1

The Web.com Tour is in Kansas City this weekend, only about a mile from my office. I went out there yesterday afternoon and followed around a few groups, including Husker Scott Gutschewski. They tear this course up, and he was struggling only shooting E 71. It looks like he's got it going a little this morning, -2 thru 5.

The Web.com Tour is in Kansas City this weekend, only about a mile from my office. I went out there yesterday afternoon and followed around a few groups, including Husker Scott Gutschewski. They tear this course up, and he was struggling only shooting E 71. It looks like he's got it going a little this morning, -2 thru 5.

For the Web.com Tour events, it's a total birdie-fest. The guys that want to be in contention in the weekend need to shoot very low scores. It's like that for at least 1/2 of the PGA Tour events too.

For the Web.com Tour events, it's a total birdie-fest. The guys that want to be in contention in the weekend need to shoot very low scores. It's like that for at least 1/2 of the PGA Tour events too.

For sure, it helps to get fans out there too. There have already been two 62s this week. :ahhhhhhhh