Hittin' the links: Golf talk

Honestly, I think you are making too much about the specific rules of the game. Yes, we should all aspire to play within the rules, but if you or your friends are freaking out over a specific drop that you are taking, then you are probably taking it too seriously. Do your best to make a proper drop, but you aren't on the PGA Tour, nobody should really care if you are taking an improper drop or not.

It is imperative to know the rules if you are ever going to play in any type of competitive golf. Ignorance, or "this is how me and my buddies do it during beer league," is not an excuse.

I agree that you should know the rules if you have any type of competitive golf, but is the OP talking about competitive golf? I don't know his specific situation, but he just seems like a casual player for now.

Yes, if he enters a tournament, he should do his best to follow the rules of golf. But, PGA pros don't know every rule they play by. They have walking officials helping them out all the time.

Heck, I've even played in tournaments that aren't that strict on this rule. Yes, if it goes out of bounds (in a tourney) you should go back and hit from your original position. But, if you are dropping....meh....agree with your competitor what line it when into the crap, go back to find a decent spot, drop the ball and play.

Heck, I've even played in tournaments that aren't that strict on this rule.

Tournament golf not strict on proper drop is surprising.

By the letter of the law, I think are correct NUance. Of course, I'm not telling to abide in all situations. Good on you for trying to know the proper procedure though. :wasted

Honestly, I think you are making too much about the specific rules of the game. Yes, we should all aspire to play within the rules, but if you or your friends are freaking out over a specific drop that you are taking, then you are probably taking it too seriously. Do your best to make a proper drop, but you aren't on the PGA Tour, nobody should really care if you are taking an improper drop or not.

It is imperative to know the rules if you are ever going to play in any type of competitive golf. Ignorance, or "this is how me and my buddies do it during beer league," is not an excuse.

I agree that you should know the rules if you have any type of competitive golf, but is the OP talking about competitive golf? I don't know his specific situation, but he just seems like a casual player for now.

Yes, if he enters a tournament, he should do his best to follow the rules of golf. But, PGA pros don't know every rule they play by. They have walking officials helping them out all the time.

Heck, I've even played in tournaments that aren't that strict on this rule. Yes, if it goes out of bounds (in a tourney) you should go back and hit from your original position. But, if you are dropping....meh....agree with your competitor what line it when into the crap, go back to find a decent spot, drop the ball and play.

A couple weeks ago, I was playing this local course that I have played numerous times through the past 15 years. #9 is a short par 4, but it's really tight. There is a creek with trees along the left and huge trees on the right of the fairway. The creek area on the left was marked OB forever, until I played there this year. I hit my tee shot down the left side, and I noticed that hazard was marked with red stakes. I asked my playing partner "when did they switch that to red stakes". He responded, "the men's club made them change it to a lateral hazard because they hated having to go back to the tee box when it was OB". I also hate the "lost ball" rule if you hit it in an area, but you just can't find it. Yes, you are supposed to take stroke and distance, but I don't have a bunch of marshalls and a gallery trying to help me out and find my ball like the pros do. If I am playing casually (which I almost always am), I just take a penalty stroke and drop it where I think the ball is.

If I am reading it right, you are correct.

So I can stand where ever I want to drop it (outside or inside the point of relief), so long as the ball lands within the club-length of the nearest point of relief. That makes sense, too.

I asked my buddy who is a rules official. He said your club length radius circle is at the point of nearest relief and you can stand wherever so long as the ball lands within the circle and the ball can roll up to two club lengths before you have to re-drop.

So yeah, you and Q got it.

Heck, I've even played in tournaments that aren't that strict on this rule.

Tournament golf not strict on proper drop is surprising.

By the letter of the law, I think are correct NUance. Of course, I'm not telling to abide in all situations. Good on you for trying to know the proper procedure though. :wasted

When I say..."not that strict" I mean, they aren't standing there gauging if the ball is within one club length from a certain spot putting out tees like you see the Pro's do when they have to drop. It's find a spot within the rules of where you should drop and drop the ball and go on.

Been away for a while but finally have a chance to post on here from my round at Torrey Pines.

A buddy of mine and my brother an I played the South Course. I picked one hell of a day to bring my F- golf game to the course. Couldn't hit anything straight and I think I only hit 1 fairway all day. Now as frustrated as I wanted to be with how I was playing it is really hard to around that place. Every hole brings a different challenge and the holes along the ocean are absolutely breathtaking.

I've never spent as much as I did there on a round but it was absolutely worth every penny of it if you ask me.

Best part of the day was that I was trailing my brother by 3 strokes with 3 to play and found a way to end up tied. He still can't claim that he's beat me in a round of golf.

Unreal course with some unbelievable views. If i'm ever back in the area I will definitely be playing it again. I need some revenge.

Torrey Pines is every bit as spectacular in person as it is on TV. We were out there in February, my sister was got married in San Diego and took the short jaunt up to Torrey. The only unfortunate thing that happened was the marine layer rolled in while we were still on the course and made it really difficult to play holes 17, 18, 1, and 2. But it cleared up just in time for the final hole of the day, the short little Par 3 3rd.

Been away for a while but finally have a chance to post on here from my round at Torrey Pines.

A buddy of mine and my brother an I played the South Course. I picked one hell of a day to bring my F- golf game to the course. Couldn't hit anything straight and I think I only hit 1 fairway all day. Now as frustrated as I wanted to be with how I was playing it is really hard to around that place. Every hole brings a different challenge and the holes along the ocean are absolutely breathtaking.

I've never spent as much as I did there on a round but it was absolutely worth every penny of it if you ask me.

Best part of the day was that I was trailing my brother by 3 strokes with 3 to play and found a way to end up tied. He still can't claim that he's beat me in a round of golf.

Unreal course with some unbelievable views. If i'm ever back in the area I will definitely be playing it again. I need some revenge.

Torrey Pines is every bit as spectacular in person as it is on TV. We were out there in February, my sister was got married in San Diego and took the short jaunt up to Torrey. The only unfortunate thing that happened was the marine layer rolled in while we were still on the course and made it really difficult to play holes 17, 18, 1, and 2. But it cleared up just in time for the final hole of the day, the short little Par 3 3rd.

That might be the most intimidating tee shot I've ever stood over. You don't realize till you're down on the green that theres a little more room than there seems to be. Pin for us was about 8 steps over the bunker on the right. Crazy tough pin if you ask me.

That might be the most intimidating tee shot I've ever stood over. You don't realize till you're down on the green that theres a little more room than there seems to be. Pin for us was about 8 steps over the bunker on the right. Crazy tough pin if you ask me.

They'd just finished the Farmer's Insurance Open there before we played, so I'm guessing the pins were in their Sunday location (maybe not). So for us, the pin was tucked behind the bunker short left and maybe 5 paces from the back and a few paces from the left. Wicked pin position really, asks you to really dial in your distance if you're going for the pin.

They'd just finished the Farmer's Insurance Open there before we played, so I'm guessing the pins were in their Sunday location (maybe not). So for us, the pin was tucked behind the bunker short left and maybe 5 paces from the back and a few paces from the left. Wicked pin position really, asks you to really dial in your distance if you're going for the pin.

I'd LOVE to play greens set up for a PGA tourney someday. Probly the most convenient one would be the TPC Deere Run in Silvis, Illinois. It's a public venue according to the web site.

I played TPC Deere Run last fall while returning from Chicago for work. Other than the insane pace of play that particular day, I really enjoyed it. It is a Tour track that mortals can still enjoy, very forgiving. It is a beautiful property with great facilities.

• Fire 1

I'd LOVE to play greens set up for a PGA tourney someday. Probly the most convenient one would be the TPC Deere Run in Silvis, Illinois. It's a public venue according to the web site.

Most of the TPC courses are public venues. It would be near impossible to play in near tournament conditions, because I think they typically shut down the course a number of weeks in advance of the tournament. You might be able to get on after the tournament, but they probably let the greens get back to normal speed fairly quickly.

My wife once worked at a country club that had the Senior Open. (Not in Nebraska). I had certain golf privileges because I was married to an employee. Well, for about a year, they left the course set up like they did for the Open.

That was awesome. Even though it was the Senior Open, those guys play on courses that are WAAAYYYY different than what the normal golfer plays.

My wife once worked at a country club that had the Senior Open. (Not in Nebraska). I had certain golf privileges because I was married to an employee. Well, for about a year, they left the course set up like they did for the Open.

That was awesome. Even though it was the Senior Open, those guys play on courses that are WAAAYYYY different than what the normal golfer plays.

The courses that the "pros" play are ridiculously tough.

I always find it funny when a guy is a scratch golfer and thinks that he can "could probably make it on the tour". The pros are playing crazy hard courses with high rough, fast greens, and a ton of pressure. I heard that Tiger Woods handicap is currently a +5 or +6. That's with him playing "crappy" golf on tour. When Tiger was kicking ass all over the place in the early 2000's, his handicap was around a +10.

Long-story short, the guys on the tour are way better than the best golfers at the local muni or country club on a Saturday morning.

I always find it funny when a guy is a scratch golfer and thinks that he can "could probably make it on the tour". The pros are playing crazy hard courses with high rough, fast greens, and a ton of pressure. I heard that Tiger Woods handicap is currently a +5 or +6. That's with him playing "crappy" golf on tour. When Tiger was kicking ass all over the place in the early 2000's, his handicap was around a +10.

Long-story short, the guys on the tour are way better than the best golfers at the local muni or country club on a Saturday morning.

Agree.

At the tourney I mentioned, we went to a practice round and followed Palmer, Chichi and Gary McCord around for a while. I would stand behind them on the tee box and (even at their age) they would absolutely crush the ball farther than i could dream of. It would look like an absolute beautiful shot in the fairway and they would turn around mumbling under their breath because it didn't do exactly what they wanted.

Their entire game/thought process/view of what they want to do is totally different than ours.

Agree.

At the tourney I mentioned, we went to a practice round and followed Palmer, Chichi and Gary McCord around for a while. I would stand behind them on the tee box and (even at their age) they would absolutely crush the ball farther than i could dream of. It would look like an absolute beautiful shot in the fairway and they would turn around mumbling under their breath because it didn't do exactly what they wanted.

Their entire game/thought process/view of what they want to do is totally different than ours.

Yeah. The U.S. Open shows how much better PGA pros are as compared to club pros. Every so often a club pro will play his way into the Open. I can't remember the last time one made the cut. And the PGA Championship reserves about 20 spots for PGA members. With that many in the field I'm sure one makes the cut once in a while. But not many.