Scott Baldwin. RIP

I was in high school when I met Scott Baldwin after he had a treatment session with Dr. Stark. He shot some hoops with is for a few minutes before leaving. I was too young to fully comprehend what he did to that young woman in Lincoln and Baldwin's battle with mental illness. It's sad that he is leaving this world at a relatively young age.

The night he was shot and paralyzed. He attended a UNO football game with other guys. That was 10:00 pm . The crowd sort of buzzed as he was "out" after the beating of the young woman in Lincoln. It was quite a shock for us to read 9 hours later what happened in North Omaha. Does any one know whatever happened to the woman attacked in Lincoln?

This is a pretty good descripiton of what happened. Such a sad deal. My uncle knew him from school and hasm entioned what a nice guy he was. We lose far too many good people to mentali illness.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ne-supreme-court/1071585.html

Wow...I had never read such a complete description of what happened.

Sad situation.

Why would two police officers physically unable to handle the situation be teamed together? And since they were teamed together, why would they attempt to subdue him knowing that they couldn't both handle him if he turned on them—which was likely given his mental illness?

Sure the shooting incident was largely due to Baldwin not taking his psych meds. But the Omaha police did not use very good judgment in the way they handled it, given that they knew he was mentally ill when they responded.

The dude was running around naked and resisting arrest

I'm guessing you don't know a whole lot about mental illness. In Baldwin's state of mind he was most likely incapable of following police orders. Granted, his state of mind was his own fault for not taking his meds but that doesn't change the fact that he was most likely incapable of following orders at the time he was shot. Evidence of this is when the officer had a gun behind his ear and threatened to shoot him and he failed to respond.

All Baldwin had to do was keep taking his meds. Ultimately, his choice to stop taking them led to him being shot.

This is a pretty good descripiton of what happened. Such a sad deal. My uncle knew him from school and hasm entioned what a nice guy he was. We lose far too many good people to mentali illness.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ne-supreme-court/1071585.html

Wow...I had never read such a complete description of what happened.

Sad situation.

Why would two police officers physically unable to handle the situation be teamed together? And since they were teamed together, why would they attempt to subdue him knowing that they couldn't both handle him if he turned on them—which was likely given his mental illness?

Sure the shooting incident was largely due to Baldwin not taking his psych meds. But the Omaha police did not use very good judgment in the way they handled it, given that they knew he was mentally ill when they responded.

I'm not going to judge what happened that night. It's clear that Baldwin was out of control and possibly going to harm someone. He was obviously trying to break through a glass door. The police may have decided they needed to do something quick so that he didn't get into the building and possibly hurt someone in the building.

All that is possibilities and I'm not going to sit here in 2015 and make judgement calls on what happened that night.

• Fire 1