America's Changing Religious Landscape

This seemed like a timely thread to start. Pew Research Center just released an important study looking at the continuing trends in American religions. The results are a little surprising to me. Not because of the trends they show, but because of how rapidly the temperature change is happening nation-wide. Another thing to consider is that this is what people will say when asked direct questions on a survey. It's hard to imagine the hits more real-world things like church attendance and engagement in religious activity in general have taken.

The Christian share of the U.S. population is declining, while the number of U.S. adults who do not identify with any organized religion is growing, according to an extensive new survey by the Pew Research Center. Moreover, these changes are taking place across the religious landscape, affecting all regions of the country and many demographic groups. While the drop in Christian affiliation is particularly pronounced among young adults, it is occurring among Americans of all ages.

To be sure, the United States remains home to more Christians than any other country in the world, and a large majority of Americans – roughly seven-in-ten – continue to identify with some branch of the Christian faith.1 But the major new survey of more than 35,000 Americans by the Pew Research Center finds that the percentage of adults (ages 18 and older) who describe themselves as Christians has dropped by nearly eight percentage points in just seven years, from 78.4% in an equally massive Pew Research survey in 2007 to 70.6% in 2014. Over the same period, the percentage of Americans who are religiously unaffiliated – describing themselves as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” – has jumped more than six points, from 16.1% to 22.8%.

Link

Interesting that evangelical numbers are rising even though Christian numbers overall are falling pretty fast.

We've seen many mainline denominations 'compromising' on issues - not much different than the culture at large on may issues - no longer 'the salt of the earth'. I also think in a world of uncertainty, many look for solace & guidance in the 'old time religion' of Bible based faith.

The overall survey doesn't surprise me with the increase secularization of our society at large.

Here is another interesting result from that same poll:

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Christians-decline-opposite-trend/2015/05/13/id/644474/

First line quoted here:

A survey showing a sharp decline in the number of Christians in the United States also reveals a surprising opposite trend: nearly half of everyone raised with no religion has since become religious.

Knapp, I wasn't called either!!

I think most people here know that I'm no immediate defender of anything just because it has the label of 'Christian', and I'll celebrate truth and good things regardless of what package they come in.

That said, the trend away from faith/religion in our country worries me, not really even necessarily because "oh the heathen gays are gonna burn repent the end is near" but the health of our country through the last however long, especially as it relates to whole families where kids grow up safe and stable and with both parents, seems to be inexorably linked to this trend at least in part. I know correlation doesn't equal causation, but they don't seem to be isolated from each other per my perspective.

Landlord I would agree. Even if one doesn't 'believe' there are societal benefits of religion that many overlook. I know of many non-believers who have sent their kids to church or to a private Christian school just for the moral upbringing it gives the children.

To quote George Washington (and not to bring up the 'was he a Christian or Deist debate) The following quotes don't mean that non-religious people cannot be moral and virtuous only that religion aids in the development of virtues :

Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to emplore His protection and favor.

Of all the dispositions and habits which lead tp political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great Pillars.

No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the Invisible Hand which conducts the affairs of men, more than the people of the United States. Every step by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation seems to have been distinguished by some token of Providential agency.

"Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government."

John Adams

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

Abraham Lincoln:

Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right.

I am much indebted to the good christian people of the country for their constant prayers and consolations; and to no one of them, more than to yourself. The purposes of the Almighty are perfect, and must prevail, though we erring mortals may fail to accurately perceive them in advance. We hoped for a happy termination of this terrible war long before this; but God knows best, and has ruled otherwise. We shall yet acknowledge His wisdom and our own error therein. Meanwhile we must work earnestly in the best light He gives us, trusting that so working still conduces to the great ends He ordains. Surely He intends some great good to follow this mighty convulsion, which no mortal could make, and no mortal could stay.
Letter to Eliza Gurney on September 4, 1864 (CWAL VII:535)

In regard to this Great Book, I have but to say, it is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book. But for it we could not know right from wrong. All things most desirable for man's welfare, here and hereafter, are to be found portrayed in it.
Reply to Loyal Colored People of Baltimore upon Presentation of a Bible on September 7, 1864 (CWAL VII:542)

I think most people here know that I'm no immediate defender of anything just because it has the label of 'Christian', and I'll celebrate truth and good things regardless of what package they come in.

That said, the trend away from faith/religion in our country worries me, not really even necessarily because "oh the heathen gays are gonna burn repent the end is near" but the health of our country through the last however long, especially as it relates to whole families where kids grow up safe and stable and with both parents, seems to be inexorably linked to this trend at least in part. I know correlation doesn't equal causation, but they don't seem to be isolated from each other per my perspective.

I'm not sure we can make the argument that countries become more worrisome places to live the less Christianity plays a role. A couple of charts from Wikipedia say that some of the best places to live (quality of life index) aren't very Christian.

The Where to be Born Index

k7NJIdM.png

Theism in Europe

tFoBhio.jpg

It's hard to draw any conclusion that Christianity = happiness or safety

• Fire 2

I'm not sure we can make the argument that countries become more worrisome places to live the less Christianity plays a role. A couple of charts from Wikipedia say that some of the best places to live (quality of life index) aren't very Christian.

The Where to be Born Index

k7NJIdM.png

Theism in Europe

tFoBhio.jpg

It's hard to draw any conclusion that Christianity = happiness or safety

That's not really what I mean. At least I don't think so. I know that Christianity doesn't equal happiness, but over the last 300 years American Christianity, because it was such a monopoly and wove it's way into the fabric of so many different institutions and practices, has a lot attached to it in our country, and as the country embraces Christianity less and less, people are going to have to figure out how to not embrace the religion while still embracing things that have been packaged together with it but that aren't actually essential to it.

Like, as a micro example, I work in a church. My faith is the central part of my job, but my job is not mandatory to my faith. If I decided tomorrow that I was no longer a Christian, I would be jobless, not because Christianity = having a job, but because in my Christian experience I tied something to it and when I let go of Christ I also let go of the things tied together.

I was not called to participate in this survey. Harrumph.

Well let's see. There are ~300,000,000 people living in the USA today. They polled about 35,000. That means your chances are (crunch tap tap crunch) . . . .000116.

Better luck next year.

But the major new survey of more than 35,000 Americans by the Pew Research Center finds that the percentage of adults (ages 18 and older) who describe themselves as Christians has dropped by nearly eight percentage points in just seven years,

Thanks Obama. :hmmph

• Fire 1

But the major new survey of more than 35,000 Americans by the Pew Research Center finds that the percentage of adults (ages 18 and older) who describe themselves as Christians has dropped by nearly eight percentage points in just seven years,

Funny that a place called Pew Research Center did a religious study

• Fire 1

:laughpound

Front or back pew I wonder. :dunno

Ha ha! It took a minute (sadly) but I finally got it. :lol: