Nebraska Toss Up Games in 2015

I didn't read the OP's article, or most of the replies.

However the toss up games for me are every single game with the exception of South Alabama and Southern Miss.

We have NO idea how this team will come out and look week to week. We have no accurate picture to look at from Oregon State history with Riley considering the athlete/resource difference.

Granted, we know not what to expect from this team in 2015. However, a lot of these players are at least familiar with the opposition so even if the staff is new to them the players need to step up in areas to help. That could smooth the transition.

Cant concur with your friend

Iowa and Northwestern with NU isnt in the gimmie folder

Yes Miami he has about right

Us beating Wisconsin- not happening

Overly optimistic about MSU and Minny. The MSU game wasnt as close as score said last year.

It's an 7-6 to 9-4 season

NU isnt going undefeated

I care little about "in game adjustments" right now and much more about mental toughness, culture and discipline

How is Nebraska beating Wisconsin "not happening"

The game is at home. Wisconsin lost there stud RB. They have a new coach as well.

I think it is the definition of a toss up game.

MSU beats Nebraska, me thinks.

Minnesota will be VERY tough.

Miami played us close last year, but i think they are so poorly coached that we can win.

New coach. new team.. dont know what to expect.

Wisconsin beat NU by 35 points- could have been more if they wanted it. Took starters out late 3rd quarter. Keep starters in- they win by 50++

Is NU 50 points better than last year? No

Wisconsin has 1,000 yard rusher back- Gordon wasnt their whole team

We are much worse off losing Ameer, than they are for losing Gordon- not even close

They have 8 returners back on D including all of very tough secondary

Last time Wisconsin changed coaches, they didnt miss a beat and this guy is a Wisconsin guy

The writer suggesting we will win all our games is laughable IMO

NU will be very fortunate to play MSU even close. Great fundamental team, well coached, Great D, GREAT QB

Minny has identity, kids play hard, well coached, very possible 3 wins in a row, They are over the hump of not knowing how to win. Our new D scheme helps us against this team, but Kills gets the most out of the little talent he has.

BYU and Miami could go either way. If nothing really odd happens we probably go 1-1 in that one

Riley and NU have consistently lost one they shouldnt so a Northwestern/Iowa/Illinois could very likely take one from us

I think you underestimate the impact of both teams having new coaches. I think you underestimate our talent under an experienced staff. I think you underestimate our home field advantage and dislike for Wisconsin.

And where in the article did it say we would go undefeated? Did you even finish it?

As a season ticket holder for 4 decades and attending many away games, our home field advantage is very over rated. It isnt loud or hostile, compared to many/most big name programs,

Ive talked to several opposing players, they loved playing here. NU has stubbed our toes so many times at home over the last decade, it's not worth talking about.

Dislike for opponents like Wisconsin or Texas is very overrated and counterproductive- dont yield real results, now or in the past.

The article said NU would beat them all- WIsconsin and MSU, with a possible loss to Minnesota

Very homer rose colored glass outlook, not realistic at all

You can bet the farm NU will not be a 14-0, 13-1, 12-1 team next year except in the minds of impressionable 9 year olds wearing the corn cob hats and foam #1 fingers :hmmph

To think that NU will win the Wisconsin game because of a yet to be proven defensive "facemelter" scheme is a bit much

Oregon States defenses of late havent been much to brag about. The DC was on the hotseat there by many accounts

Wisconisn has dominated NU of late, lots of big blowouts

Just because its the "Home opener for conference games and we will have a lot to play for this game" means so very little. This team has had a lot to play for and at home and got blown out in the past- with regularity. [/size]

Scheme is such a small part of the equation[/size]

Im more concerned about:[/size]

Discipline, Basic Fundamentals, Focus, Base Execution, Everyone getting on same page, Ball Security[/size]

Without those, scheme means very little. If my kids cant get the above right, scheme matters little and this is an unproven scheme with this group of kids. [/size]

The author of that blog says NU should win them all, that is crazy talk reserved for 9 year old kids, who are allowed to say such things due to the privilege of youth

Beating Wisconsin will be a long shot at best, but that's why they play the games.

I hope we win, however expect not to be favored and to lose

Everyone is talking about NUs defense here, but look at the defenses OSU produced of late

How are we going to score consistently? Wisconsin has 8 guys back including all of a top secondary. If we end up being the OSU pass first, offense many expect to see with Tommy at the helm, it could be a very long day for our offense.

With the right coaching, Nebraska SHOULD win every game. You would say the same about Alabama.

Nobody said beating Wisconsin would be easy, but to say it is impossible is just silly. For all your knowledge of the game you seem to lack the basic concept of chance. Any team can be beaten on any day. We have found that out the very hard way for 7 years now.

Just because Jen Bielma's meal ticket and Gary Anderson had Bo Pelini's number, does not mean squat when Mike Riley hosts Pitt's leftovers.

Gary Anderson kept pretty true to the historical Wisconsin template, dont expect Wisconsin man Chryst to go away from that

Chryst had better numbers than Riley- and Anderson left Wisconsin for the job Riley left OSU for. With Rileys coaching accumen in the Big 10 still unproven, I dont see the coaching changes as a huge win for NU

Chryst knows the Big 10, so do a number of his staff.

HIghly unlikely- not happening is where I would continue to rate this game right now

Sure Iowa State beat NU on a 9 turnover day, anything can happen, but Wisconsin is clearly in the better position right now

NU should win every game with the right coaching? Las Vegas will definitely not be agreeing with that one

With Bamas track record of success, coaching track record, recruiting and player development, they might be worthy of that conversation- NU would not. WAY too many question marks, which the 9 year old koolaid drinkers would of course not bother trying to consider.

Overly optimistic about MSU and Minny. The MSU game wasnt as close as score said last year.

NU isnt going undefeated

I care little about "in game adjustments" right now and much more about mental toughness, culture and discipline

The game is at home. Wisconsin lost there stud RB. They have a new coach as well.

Miami played us close last year, but i think they are so poorly coached that we can win.

Wisconsin beat NU by 35 points- could have been more if they wanted it. Took starters out late 3rd quarter. Keep starters in- they win by 50++

We are much worse off losing Ameer, than they are for losing Gordon- not even close

Last time Wisconsin changed coaches, they didnt miss a beat and this guy is a Wisconsin guy

NU will be very fortunate to play MSU even close. Great fundamental team, well coached, Great D, GREAT QB

Minny has identity, kids play hard, well coached, very possible 3 wins in a row, They are over the hump of not knowing how to win. Our new D scheme helps us against this team, but Kills gets the most out of the little talent he has.

BYU and Miami could go either way. If nothing really odd happens we probably go 1-1 in that one

Riley and NU have consistently lost one they shouldnt so a Northwestern/Iowa/Illinois could very likely take one from us

I think you underestimate the impact of both teams having new coaches. I think you underestimate our talent under an experienced staff. I think you underestimate our home field advantage and dislike for Wisconsin.

And where in the article did it say we would go undefeated? Did you even finish it?

This is important. Riley should be an upgrade at HC. Chryst is not an upgrade over Anderson.

Should- no one really knows that

Chryst is taking over for a guy who left Wisconsin to take Rileys old job with terrible facilities, recruiting, fans etc

No one knows until we see what happens in real life

I didn't read the OP's article, or most of the replies.

However the toss up games for me are every single game with the exception of South Alabama and Southern Miss.

We have NO idea how this team will come out and look week to week. We have no accurate picture to look at from Oregon State history with Riley considering the athlete/resource difference.

This.

To think that NU will win the Wisconsin game because of a yet to be proven defensive "facemelter" scheme is a bit much

Oregon States defenses of late havent been much to brag about. The DC was on the hotseat there by many accounts

Wisconisn has dominated NU of late, lots of big blowouts

Just because its the "Home opener for conference games and we will have a lot to play for this game" means so very little. This team has had a lot to play for and at home and got blown out in the past- with regularity.

Scheme is such a small part of the equation

Im more concerned about:

Discipline, Basic Fundamentals, Focus, Base Execution, Everyone getting on same page, Ball Security

Without those, scheme means very little. If my kids cant get the above right, scheme matters little and this is an unproven scheme with this group of kids.

The author of that blog says NU should win them all, that is crazy talk reserved for 9 year old kids, who are allowed to say such things due to the privilege of youth

Beating Wisconsin will be a long shot at best, but that's why they play the games.

I hope we win, however expect not to be favored and to lose

Everyone is talking about NUs defense here, but look at the defenses OSU produced of late

How are we going to score consistently? Wisconsin has 8 guys back including all of a top secondary. If we end up being the OSU pass first, offense many expect to see with Tommy at the helm, it could be a very long day for our offense.

It is all about scheme. BP run fits were complicated to say the least. He refused to commit to stopping the run against teams that run the ball great and have below average passing games. His run defense put too much pressure on the safeties to be in the right place all the time. If they were late because they were worrying about the six other reads that had to make then it breaks down. if they got caught up in the wash they got burned.

Run defense sometimes is simply about having equal number or superior numbers committed to stopping the run. That was BP fatal flaw he felt so strongly that his style was superior that he refused to adjust. He was so worried about having sound pass defense that he was willing to be unsound against the run. Because he felt if everyone did things exactly like they were suppose to than he would be fine stopping the run. That may happen for a while, but not over the coarse of a whole game against a great running team like Whisky or Minnesota.

Did you watch the Wisconsin/Minnesota game? I did, both teams literally had all 11 guys within 7 yards of the LOS on every play that was not a sure passing down. Most the time they had 8-9 in the box.

Wisconsin's coaches had to look at film of Nebraska and say there is no way they are going to play us this way. This will be too easy. Guess what, it was too easy.

I don't know if NU's new scheme will allow them to beat Wisconsin or Minnesota, but I am pretty sure they are going to really commit to stopping the run.

Much of that is true, Bo loved his matchup 2 high pattern read zone AND the defense was very complicated

But to say Bo never adjusted isnt true

Bo would bring a S down many times- it didnt matter much

In any event many times NU players:

Pursued poorly

tackled poorly

didnt rally to the ball well

didnt block destruct well- not counting the 2 gap players OR situations on zone runs where the DTs were attempting to break the chain and hold onto the climbing player, while occupying the other

Fundamentally- NU has to get much better

Mentally NU has to get much tougher

NU has to clear the very first hurdle of being a good football team- not beating yourself

OSUs defensive stats shouldnt be any cause for rejoice

By most reports the DC was on the hot seat there

Time will tell

NU isnt going undefeated

This is important. Riley should be an upgrade at HC. Chryst is not an upgrade over Anderson.

Should- no one really knows that

Chryst is taking over for a guy who left Wisconsin to take Rileys old job with terrible facilities, recruiting, fans etc

No one knows until we see what happens in real life

Yeah, Chryst is taking over a spot for a guy who took our coaches old mediocre gig.

Me thinks Wisconsin may not be the world beater you talk them up to be. Maybe Anderson knows something we don't.

NU isnt going undefeated

As a season ticket holder for 4 decades and attending many away games, our home field advantage is very over rated. It isnt loud or hostile, compared to many/most big name programs,

Ive talked to several opposing players, they loved playing here. NU has stubbed our toes so many times at home over the last decade, it's not worth talking about.

Dislike for opponents like Wisconsin or Texas is very overrated and counterproductive- dont yield real results, now or in the past.

The article said NU would beat them all- WIsconsin and MSU, with a possible loss to Minnesota

You can bet the farm NU will not be a 14-0, 13-1, 12-1 team next year except in the minds of impressionable 9 year olds wearing the corn cob hats and foam #1 fingers :hmmph

I honestly started chuckling out loud as soon as I got halfway through the first sentence.

Yes calling the writer a 9 year old corn head is "super funny" but doesn't do much to convince me we don't fare a lot better beating them here than in Camp Randall.

Much of that is true, Bo loved his matchup 2 high zone AND the defense was very complicated

Pursued poorly

tackled poorly

didnt block destruct well- not counting the 2 gap players OR situations on zone runs where the DTs were attempting to break the chain and hold onto the climbing player, while occupying the other

NU has to clear the very first hurdle of being a good football team- not beating yourself

Time will tell

You're not wrong, but at some point we have to ask ourselves when we put "many times" and "players" together when discussing issues with the D, when do we ask "why is that?" We saw all these issues come up many times from multiple players over many games. It was easy for us and coaches to name all these issues and place the blame on individual players.

However, I think now more than ever, I have been able to look at the situation and just say "maybe they were poorly coached". In this case, they were coached poorly when it came to run fits. I've seen guys fight and claw their way to get to their gap, only to meet the gap with the blocker face to face. In most situations you want to fill the gap with his shoulder pad brushing the blocker. That forces the runner to the outside. It seems like they were more concerned about gap responsibility, which is only part of it.

Were these guys just plain poorly coached? I know a lot of people are going to yell "YES!!!" but it's more than just "Bo's a bad coach", but the staff may have not been the best assembled staff to coach kids properly. And it showed.

Heck, even on offense, I would talk about Beck and needed a better set of eyes to clean up his scheme to make it crazy dangerous. Unfortunately for him, it's not like an ex-golf coach, a preacher, and a 2nd year OL coach can give him much incite. He did have Barney who had OC experience, but that's it. And you could argue all you want about if Barney was the best guy to help Beck out.

Bo did adjust, in game, week to week, and so on. Just watch the many things he does to utilize Gregory as a weapon. But we almost always saw the same issues, the list you just stated. In my eyes and my opinion, that comes down to coaching. Bo may have had the greatest scheme ever, but he didn't do himself any favors with the staff assembled.

The question is: does our current staff give us confidence in us being better? I think we had a major step up on the offensive side of the ball, when it comes to the staff. Do we have that staff step up on the defensive side of the ball? I think the answer is yes.

Much of that is true, Bo loved his matchup 2 high zone AND the defense was very complicated

Pursued poorly

tackled poorly

Time will tell

You're not wrong, but at some point we have to ask ourselves when we put "many times" and "players" together when discussing issues with the D, when do we ask "why is that?" We saw all these issues come up many times from multiple players over many games. It was easy for us and coaches to name all these issues and place the blame on individual players.

However, I think now more than ever, I have been able to look at the situation and just say "maybe they were poorly coached". In this case, they were coached poorly when it came to run fits. I've seen guys fight and claw their way to get to their gap, only to meet the gap with the blocker face to face. In most situations you want to fill the gap with his shoulder pad brushing the blocker. That forces the runner to the outside. It seems like they were more concerned about gap responsibility, which is only part of it.

Were these guys just plain poorly coached? I know a lot of people are going to yell "YES!!!" but it's more than just "Bo's a bad coach", but the staff may have not been the best assembled staff to coach kids properly. And it showed.

Heck, even on offense, I would talk about Beck and needed a better set of eyes to clean up his scheme to make it crazy dangerous. Unfortunately for him, it's not like an ex-golf coach, a preacher, and a 2nd year OL coach can give him much incite. He did have Barney who had OC experience, but that's it. And you could argue all you want about if Barney was the best guy to help Beck out.

Bo did adjust, in game, week to week, and so on. Just watch the many things he does to utilize Gregory as a weapon. But we almost always saw the same issues, the list you just stated. In my eyes and my opinion, that comes down to coaching. Bo may have had the greatest scheme ever, but he didn't do himself any favors with the staff assembled.

The question is: does our current staff give us confidence in us being better? I think we had a major step up on the offensive side of the ball, when it comes to the staff. Do we have that staff step up on the defensive side of the ball? I think the answer is yes.

That is my point

I WASNT blaming the players or the scheme

MANY times it was poor fundamental skills like:

Pursuit, tackling, block destruction- not to mention all the very important "soft skills" that were absent like mental toughness and focus.

Can the new coaching staff do a better job?

They have more years of experience. Maybe they are better teachers and motivators, no one knows. Nice guys finish last and first, jerks finish last and first. Being "nice" doesnt matter in the W/L dept- it isnt a predictor.

Im certainly glad to see the "Frat House" time schedules or lack thereof are gone. Im very happy the old guard is gone etc

BUT the new guys don't have a consistent track record of excellent results, especially on defense. Remember OSU fans had the DC on the hotseat.

Time will tell

NU isnt going undefeated

I honestly started chuckling out loud as soon as I got halfway through the first sentence.

Yes calling the writer a 9 year old corn head is "super funny" but doesn't do much to convince me we don't fare a lot better beating them here than in Camp Randall.

If you think playing in Lincoln is intimidating you just havent traveled much for away games

These places were much harder to play than Lincoln, my personal observation games Ive seen live- not all NU games:

Texas A&M

LSU

Alabama

Washington

Kansas State- yes tiny stadium, but they rock it

Wisconsin

Iowa

Michigan

South Carolina

Only a handful of away games werent- like Iowa State, Kansas etc

That is my point

I WASNT blaming the players or the scheme

MANY times it was poor fundamental skills like:

Pursuit, tackling, block destruction- not to mention all the very important "soft skills" that were absent like mental toughness and focus.

Can the new coaching staff do a better job?

They have more years of experience. Maybe they are better teachers and motivators, no one knows. Nice guys finish last and first, jerks finish last and first. Being "nice" doesnt matter in the W/L dept- it isnt a predictor.

Im certainly glad to see the "Frat House" time schedules or lack thereof are gone. Im very happy the old guard is gone etc

BUT the new guys don't have a consistent track record of excellent results, especially on defense. Remember OSU fans had the DC on the hotseat.

Time will tell

I know, I was mainly pointing the thumb there. I have been guilty of blaming the players on numerous occasions, despite knowing that what I see tells a different story. I always seem to see more being a few months removed from it and re-watching things.

It's no secret that Memorial Stadium is a pretty docile environment compared to several SEC Venues, Big House, Horseshoe, Camp Randall or even Texas stadiums. We are hospitable to our guests and will even applaud the opposition.

Yet we still get loud when their offense takes the field and we make them uncomfortable.

Lincoln may not be Autzen Stadium or The 12th man, but I like our chances of beating Wiscy in our own sea of red.