Texas Cop, "Police Brutality", Black kids.

Thanks LoMS, you're a shining beacon. I'd say go back even further to 40-50 years ago. I'd be even younger Yeehaww. yup white hetero and YOUNGER BABY But looking back must be a bad thing, right? I mean, the civil rights movement, space program, etc. all bad. Just sayin', cause everyone knows nuthin' good ever came of the good ol days.

GBR

All those things came about because of a recognition of, "Where we're at is not good. We need to move forward and progress." Not lamenting an age before that that was better.

The same could be said for today's times also. The problem is that people don't want to move forward and progress, they would rather bitch and moan and have a reason to point the finger at someone.

But alternatively, not all progress is good. Once again.

Of course not. The point is that our country is a much better place to live in across the board for all demographics than it was 30-40-50-60-70 years ago, and the longing for the time when America was awesome and pure is a myth.

• Fire 1

But alternatively, not all progress is good. Once again.

Of course not. The point is that our country is a much better place to live in across the board for all demographics than it was 30-40-50-60-70 years ago, and the longing for the time when America was awesome and pure is a myth.

And if you think that was the point of my statement you missed the point, but that's not surprising. I never said I long for the days where women were oppressed, minority's were treated badly/unfairly, etc. You simply took my statement and twisted it to fit what you think I meant. I'm not explaining it further than I already have because I thought the points I was talking about were clear.

And it's hilarious you even mention treating gays fairly when the religious folks refuse to accept gays for who they are.........people that deserve the same rights anyone else enjoys.

And if you think that was the point of my statement you missed the point, but that's not surprising. I never said I long for the days where women were oppressed, minority's were treated badly/unfairly, etc.

I thought the point of your statement was that America used to be great, and now it is not. It's hard to get any other point from, "this country is a shell of it's former great self."

And it's hilarious you even mention treating gays fairly when the religious folks refuse to accept gays for who they are.........people that deserve the same rights anyone else enjoys.

Why is this hilarious? I don't get it.

And if you think that was the point of my statement you missed the point, but that's not surprising. I never said I long for the days where women were oppressed, minority's were treated badly/unfairly, etc.

I thought the point of your statement was that America used to be great, and now it is not. It's hard to get any other point from, "this country is a shell of it's former great self."

Why is this hilarious? I don't get it.

I clarified my statement several posts later since people seemed to be offended by what I said.

You know what I mean by hilarious, I'm just shaking my head that you mention gays not being treated fairly when the religious folks won't accept them. Maybe you do, but the religion still doesn't at this point.

You know what I mean by hilarious, I'm just shaking my head that you mention gays not being treated fairly when the religious folks won't accept them. Maybe you do, but the religion still doesn't at this point.

Ah ok, I figured it was something to do with me identifying as a 'religious person', but I wanted to make sure that was what you were getting at.

You know how you take it personally and think it's "cop hating" in these threads with ignorant citizens criticizing what they think is police brutality?

I don't do that when people criticize the church. In fact I would agree with you; the Christian community has a horrendous track record, we need to do better, and we need to be forgiven. I have a lot of dear gay friends that I love to death, but I am also included in this. I need to do better.

So what you did was take my statement, read into it, assume I meant something and went with it. RE: racism, equality, etc. So you can see my frustration with that.

That's not what I meant, like I said earlier it's in reference to active shooters, working hard, people taking offense in literally everything they read/see, constant belittling the police at every turn, etc.

When the pope basically says, "who am I to judge, I'm not God." I still can't understand why religious folks wouldn't listen to him. I know there are differences in religions. But the pope is as close as you can get to God on earth based on my minimal understanding of religion in depth. I think I'd listen to him. I'm not saying you aren't, I'm just saying.

To be fair, the nature of your post was such that anything and everything could be read into it. It's the type of statement politicians use all the time. "Let's make America great again. I have no idea how I'm going to do that or what specifically is bad about it now compared to what it was before, but let's make it great again." They could literally be talking about anything. The key to being a politician is to be vague enough that you don't alienate anyone.

This thread makes me sad.

This entire country and what it's coming to is making me sad! It's a shell of its former great self unfortunately.............

For clarification, BRI, I certainly didn't take your statement that way at all.

I feel it's quite normal to look at things happening right now and think everything is falling apart. To that end I thought it was just fair to provide some historical context. Things have never been all that rosy, but that didn't mean it was all going to hell, either. Just as it isn't now: there's good and there's bad.

For what it's worth, I do believe today's police are likely, as a whole, more professional and more judicious than they have ever been before. And there's not enough recognition of that. At the same time, when there are cases of abuse, I do think a light should be shined brightly upon it. First, that reflects how seriously we take civil liberties here in this country. And, that drive is part of what makes the police force (on the whole) so professional and outstanding to begin with.

High standards in anything means relatively little tolerance when those standards aren't met, right?

And you are an outstanding (and conscientious) public servant. That is pretty clear :)

And you are an outstanding (and conscientious) public servant. That is pretty clear :)

Hear, hear. I think we all understand that you are an example of "the good guys" BRI, and you have always had the respect of people on this board, not only for what you do but also because of your leadership here.

It may not always come across this way, but I think pretty much everyone at HuskerBoard, and everyone in this conversation is on the same side. We're just making different points about different things.

• Fire 1

Thanks for the kind words. I take the job seriously, I want to change people's perceptions of law enforcement one interaction at a time, if possible. I take things personally because the job IS that important to me and I hate lumping anything into one single category or under one label. I will not sacrifice my integrity for a bad cop, period end of story. The bad ones need exposed, but not all cops should feel the wrath of that officers stupidity or poor choices.

We are at a crossroads in law enforcement where changes are coming. Several times in the past we've had to change who we are and how we do things. But the path ISN'T as clear as its been in the past. It'll be VERY hard to change the mindset of the law enforcement old guard from the warrior mindset to the guardian/de-escalation mindset. This is something's that's coming, but is naturally met with some resistance, I'm still not sure where I stand at this point, I believe they both have their place. The key will be to be able to flow between those areas seamlessly without hesitation and that takes A LOT of training and use in the field before you become successful at that. Some agencies have already begun this type of training and your new officers will have no issues picking this up because this is all they'll know.

• Fire 2