Bo Pelini had to go and Mike Riley had to be hired

TheSker has a point.

There's a lot of enthusiasm around here for Mike Riley, perhaps more than his actual record would warrant.

And If 7 seasons of 9 plus wins wasn't good enough for Bo Pelini, why are we suddenly reducing expectations and win totals for Mike Riley?

That's a valid question.

But here's where TheSker is wrong:

1) Mike Riley was a great choice to be Nebraska's new head coach.

2) Go Big Red.

I'm not seeing a lot of enthusiasm really. People seem cautious or skeptical. I'd say there's even three members here trying to prop up the former staff for a triumphant return.

As far as the lowering expectations comment, I can't stress this enough. 9-10 wins wasn't the issue. 4 losses and sometimes the embarrassing manner in which the team lost, that was the issue. Expectations aren't being lowered. Of Riley's staff loses like that, they'll feel the heat too, I guarantee it. Fact is, right now we know nothing. Also, I think its fair to say that if Riley and staff does lose four but keep them close, competitive, all while being some of the most likeable people in the state, then they may be cut a bit more slack than the last staff.

Who is Bo Pelini?

And what is the best way to cook a ribeye steak?

Bo? some guy who worked in Lincoln, fiery Italian fella with a large beak and a cat. Ribeyes are a easy cook,simple seasoning salt and pepper maybe some Lawreys. medium rare, if you go rare you will have some chewy sinew between the muscles, don't grill it like a sirloin. I like to crank the heat the last minute or 2 to get a char on the fat.quality charcoal or wood. propane is for kids and old folks.GBR

I expect around 9 wins. But that doesn't mean I'll be pissed at less than that. Coaching transitions do not always go smoothly. If we win 7 I will still be optimistic about Riley as a coach as long as our losses were hard fought games. Now in year 2-3 if we are still only winning 7-8 games, my optimism will be gone.

Lots of people over the years have asked, would you rather have 9 wins every season or have 11+ win seasons where we play for (and sometimes winning) conference champions but also a couple crappy 7 win seasons sprinkled in. I would prefer the 11-win seasons + some crappy seasons option. So I'm okay if Riley wins 7 games the first season. That doesn't mean I expect that to happen.

• Fire 2

I expect around 9 wins. But that doesn't mean I'll be pissed at less than that. Coaching transitions do not always go smoothly. If we win 7 I will still be optimistic about Riley as a coach as long as our losses were hard fought games. Now in year 2-3 if we are still only winning 7-8 games, my optimism will be gone.

Lots of people over the years have asked, would you rather have 9 wins every season or have 11+ win seasons where we play for (and sometimes winning) conference champions but also a couple crappy 7 win seasons sprinkled in. I would prefer the 11-win seasons + some crappy seasons option. So I'm okay if Riley wins 7 games the first season. That doesn't mean I expect that to happen.

Whoa! This makes WAAAAYYYY too much sense. Stop it.

Back to the basement fight...how was the "friend of the program" filming WKU practices and/or spring game?

Also, could that have been a violation for NU...having someone film another teams practice, which the spring game technically is?

I have just heard about this basement thing for so long and I know it is true I just don't totally understand what it was about.

This "board" had some legit connections on the staff as well as many player connections. Not to mention a few Admin connections. Basically Bo decided to flip sh#t because a guy had inside sources and Bo didn't like it. I know for a fact that Bo had guys in the admin dept keep tabs on message boards. Basically if a board stepped out of line he could attempt to cut them off. Ask Sean Callahan about his conversations behind closed doors.

Ahhhh I get it! I thought the fight had to do with the film...never mind, my bad!

I don't totally know what people mean when they say leeway or perhaps people don't know what they mean when they say leeway.

We have been lucky enough to hire a head coach that was wanted by Bama and USC all within the last 10 years...a head coach that is clearly respected and that has about 30 years of coaching experience at the college and pro levels. Mix that in with a staff that has pro and college experience and a combined 100 years of coaching/playing experience.

I could see "leeway" if we hired a guy that never was a head coach (like we did with Bo some 7 years ago) but we hired a guy like Riley NOT to worry about leeway. We hired a top shelf, well respected super experienced coach that took his time and put together a top shelf, well respected super experienced staff.

We as Husker fans should be thrilled that we bypassed the "give it time" and "leeway" stage and hired a coach that knows what he is doing.

• Fire 2

I don't totally know what people mean when they say leeway or perhaps people don't know what they mean when they say leeway.

We have been lucky enough to hire a head coach that was wanted by Bama and USC all within the last 10 years...a head coach that is clearly respected and that has about 30 years of coaching experience at the college and pro levels. Mix that in with a staff that has pro and college experience and a combined 100 years of coaching/playing experience.

I could see "leeway" if we hired a guy that never was a head coach (like we did with Bo some 7 years ago) but we hired a guy like Riley NOT to worry about leeway. We hired a top shelf, well respected super experienced coach that took his time and put together a top shelf, well respected super experienced staff.

We as Husker fans should be thrilled that we bypassed the "give it time" and "leeway" stage and hired a coach that knows what he is doing.

Agreed. Couple this with fans saying they're okay with a 7 win season means that we really have lowered expectations. We sound like Iowa. And it makes me sad.

• Fire 2

Agreed. Couple this with fans saying they're okay with a 7 win season means that we really have lowered expectations. We sound like Iowa. And it makes me sad.

Totally agreed with that! Screw lowered expectations, screw "close losses" This is Nebraska.

• Fire 1

I don't necessarily care for the word leeway either.

Riley gets no more "leeway" than any other first year HC. It can be a difficult transition and slapping expectations on a first year HC is silly and shows a sense of entitlement.

Lets see what we got, learn a few things about what the plan is going forward as far as depth chart and offensive/defensive systems, and move forward from there with our "expectations".

(see above for entitlement)

Folks, I gotta tell ya, this is Nebraska but this ain't your daddy and granddaddy's Nebraska. Until proven otherwise, we are an annual 9-4 team. Let's not jump the gun with the "Nebraska's back, and we're here to stay" stuff again. It didn't work the first time I heard it.

• Fire 1

I don't necessarily care for the word leeway either.

Riley gets no more "leeway" than any other first year HC. It can be a difficult transition and slapping expectations on a first year HC is silly and shows a sense of entitlement.

Lets see what we got, learn a few things about what the plan is going forward as far as depth chart and offensive/defensive systems, and move forward from there with our "expectations".

I get what you are saying...this might sound bad I am glad that Husker fans have a sense of entitlement, we have been fortunate enough to have so many great teams. I can't wait to get back to it.

I think Riley has been around the block enough to know there are expectations, big ones, at NU and I think he knows he can reach them.