Bo Pelini had to go and Mike Riley had to be hired

I know I credit Bo and staff for recruiting DPE, it took his staff half a season to figure it out maybe they ought to utilize him and how to do so. Obviously Riley and staff have the benefit of knowing what they have in DPE but I think they will discover and utilize other mismanaged talent on this roster as well.

Yes and no. He was returning punts from the first game of the season. He didn't get a lot of looks in the offense until later in the season but It's not like we were short of talent at WR and no matter how good you are there is some adjustment time for a true freshman who just showed up in the fall. Some positions are easier to step into than others but WR is one of the slower curves. RB is a much faster curve and Leonard Fournette was one of the hightest-rated recruits of the last decade and an absolute monster and he still didn't really take over the LSU RB spot until about halfway through the season.

I know I credit Bo and staff for recruiting DPE, it took his staff half a season to figure it out maybe they ought to utilize him and how to do so. Obviously Riley and staff have the benefit of knowing what they have in DPE but I think they will discover and utilize other mismanaged talent on this roster as well.

Yes and no. He was returning punts from the first game of the season. He didn't get a lot of looks in the offense until later in the season but It's not like we were short of talent at WR and no matter how good you are there is some adjustment time for a true freshman who just showed up in the fall. Some positions are easier to step into than others but WR is one of the slower curves. RB is a much faster curve and Leonard Fournette was one of the hightest-rated recruits of the last decade and an absolute monster and he still didn't really take over the LSU RB spot until about halfway through the season.

Reilly, Hovey, Moore and Allen were just as unproven as DPE at that point and I'm gonna venture to say none of them looked as athletic as D'Mornay in practice.

I'm not saying you teach the freshman the whole offense in a month, but I am saying you design some plays around him, you get him in where you feel comfortable and you utilize him as much as possible.

That shouldn't take half a season.

I like how Coach Riley, Langsdorf and Williams have pretty much already said as much.

Reilly, Hovey, Moore and Allen were just as unproven as DPE at that point and I'm gonna venture to say none of them looked as athletic as D'Mornay in practice.

Nice try but no. You might not have known who they were but Reilly and Hovey had both been in the system for two years and played the year before. Allen had been here for three years and played in multiple games the previous two years. They'd all had plenty of time to prove themselves. Much more than someone who'd been through three weeks of practice. Not to mention that those aren't the guys who had to come off the field to get DPE snaps. That would be Bell, Westerkamp and Turner.

And simply being more athletic doesn't mean you're more help to the team, despite what many like to claim. It definitely gives you an advantage but doesn't trump everything else.

And you continue to ignore the fact that they were getting him on the field quite a bit. He was returning punts and caught a TD in the first game. He was the B1G Special Teams Player of the Week in Week 3. He was getting worked onto the field from Day 1.

It seemed completely fair that DPE wasn't getting playing time early on as a true freshman receiver. Even now, we're sort of projecting him to break out, when he hasn't quite done so -- as a receiver -- just yet. Though he did come on stronger at the end of the year. He was always in a position where he had to emerge, and it's to his credit that he did.

Now they're trying to take him from "emergent" to "breakout." That's a big leap that not many can successfully make.

I think people just want to counter the "no one can win at Oregon St" argument so they use Erickson who had two good seasons WITH Riley's players. Just a lame argument.

I'd be careful about calling it "lame". A key reason for hiring Riley is his alleged ability at player development.......yet you're agreeing another coach had a better season than Riley ever did "WITH Riley's players". And yes, Erickson showed it is very possible to win at Oregon State.

This isn't necessarily directed at you two but I'm just curious....

If Riley has a really good year in the the next 2-3years - 11 wins, conference championship or something along those lines - will it be because he did it with Pelini's players?

I think the only way that's viable is if there's a decline in results after Bo's guys are gone, which I don't foresee.

Also, Reilly missed the first six games of the season so he wasn't one of the guys playing ahead of DPE. But it's fun to try to make up arguments out of thin air.

Well, we saw it differently that's all, and I was aware of how long those guys have been in the program. I said they were unproven. It's not the same thing.

I'm glad you can't just disagree with me without trying to be insulting, it makes me feel better about doing it to you.

It looks like our discussions will continue this way, I find it harder and harder to appreciate anything you say as each day passes. Especially with all your "expectations" garbage.

I think people just want to counter the "no one can win at Oregon St" argument so they use Erickson who had two good seasons WITH Riley's players. Just a lame argument.

I'd be careful about calling it "lame". A key reason for hiring Riley is his alleged ability at player development.......yet you're agreeing another coach had a better season than Riley ever did "WITH Riley's players". And yes, Erickson showed it is very possible to win at Oregon State.

Riley showed that is was possible to win there before Erickson did. Your argument is LAME and DORKY and really serves no purpose other then to stir sh#t up. We have been down this road with the Erickson B.S a couple of times.

Riley did not have a winning season in his first stint at Oregon State. And there are many topics we go down the same road on.....it's an internet message board.

He didn't have a winning season but the 5 wins he posted in 1998 were the most since 1971. 2 of the losses were by a point and another was on a last minute TD against UCLA. The next year when Erickson took over, they went 7-5 and I have no doubt that riley could have posted that mark also.

He also has a losing record the past 5 years (29-33) and after 14 years at Oregon St was only 13 wins above .500.

And he is still the winningest coach out of 28 in Oregon State history.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-10381-1327463703-1.

Also, Reilly missed the first six games of the season so he wasn't one of the guys playing ahead of DPE. But it's fun to try to make up arguments out of thin air.

Well, we saw it differently that's all, and I was aware of how long those guys have been in the program. I said they were unproven. It's not the same thing.

I'm glad you can't just disagree with me without trying to be insulting, it makes me feel better about doing it to you.

It looks like our discussions will continue this way, I find it harder and harder to appreciate anything you say as each day passes. Especially with all your "expectations" garbage.

tumblr_noys8mkgT11s0my1wo1_250.gif