New Coaches, Season Predictions

There was a time when Mike Riley, Jim Harbaugh, and Paul Chryst were featured on the same NFL team. Now, each enter their first season at the helm of a B1G team.

Considering their coaching prowess and what their current teams look like, of the three, who is the favorite to have a breakout season? Will someone have a slow start (e.g., losing record)? Which coach will have the best record finishing their first season as a B1G HC?

Edited by Thanks_Tom RR
Mav corrected me that Harbaugh was the QB not a coach on the 1999 San Diego Chargers
  • Fire 2

Not to nit-pick (OK, it's nit-picking) but Harbaugh was a player on that team. That's still quite a collection though.

I think Harbaugh might have the easiest time making a jump. He *should* have the most talent on the roster. They do have both tOSU and MSU to play but other than that there's nothing too overwhelming.

Wisconsin has a tough test to start out in Bama but they will likely be favored in every other game this year with the possible exception of playing in Lincoln.

But it's not out of the question that the Huskers will be favored in every game this year. Our toughest 3-4 games will all be at home. We should be favored in the first five games. If we've looked good up to that point, we might be favored over Wisconsin. Then three more winnable games before MSU shows up. We have the talent that, if we clean up ourselves, we should have every chance to win each game. That doesn't mean we do, but we should be in all of them.

• Fire 1

I think Harbaugh ends up having the worst year of all of them though.

Michigan could very easily lose 6 this year, but I'd say 4 losses is minimum for them. Ohio St, Penn St., Mich. St., and Minnesota being those four losses. Then possible two more between Utah, BYU, Oregon St., and Indiana.

Wisconsin will probably do the best. They have 1 loss I see as an almost certain loss. That one loss being Alabama to start the year. They have maybe 2 other possible losses between Nebraska and Minnesota. Their schedule is pathetic really.

Nebraska may be the middle man here. I see 3 probable losses on our schedule. Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan St. I see another 1 possible at Miami.

I'd love to see Harbaugh and Michigan choke on a fatty this year honestly.

I think Harbaugh ends up having the worst year of all of them though.

Michigan could very easily lose 6 this year, but I'd say 4 losses is minimum for them. Ohio St, Penn St., Mich. St., and Minnesota being those four losses. Then possible two more between Utah, BYU, Oregon St., and Indiana.

Wisconsin will probably do the best. They have 1 loss I see as an almost certain loss. That one loss being Alabama to start the year. They have maybe 2 other possible losses between Nebraska and Minnesota. Their schedule is pathetic really.

Nebraska may be the middle man here. I see 3 probable losses on our schedule. Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan St. I see another 1 possible at Miami.

I'd love to see Harbaugh and Michigan choke on a fatty this year honestly.

I think Michigan will have a bad year too (or maybe mediocre). I know you can't tell a lot from spring games but 7-0? That'd scare the crap out of me if I was a Michigan fan, especially given how bad their offense was last year. 13th in the Big 10 in Scoring Offense.

Yeah, I'd say out of the three BIG schools with new coaches I think Michigan does the worst in regular season.

My prediction:

Wisconsin- Loses against Alabama and either Minnesota or Nebraska . Chryst has great familiarity at Wisconsin and their schedule is easy. 2 Losses.

Nebraska- One potential non-conference loss to either BYU or Miami. Loss to Michigan St. Probably one more loss to another BIG school. Coaching should be a nice upgrade this season leading to more consistency and fewer mistakes. 3 losses.

Michigan losses against OSU, Michigan St., Minnesota or Penn State. Also one loss to either BYU or Utah. I somehow think a round peg in a square hole will occur here. - 4 losses

I still think we have a decent shot at winning the west. Hopefully we will have found our identity by the time Wisconsin comes to town.

I don't think Michigan is going to have a good year. Just a feeling. A bunch of hype with a HC that has a crappy personality. Blaaaa....

Wisconsin has similar talent as Nebraska but I like our staff. Admittedly, I don't know much about their staff. I just like ours and think they are going to do a great job.

Nebraska has the best record of the three.

Harbag and Michigan will still be the bigger story because the media will get more and more tired of his act and won't let it die.

Nebraska does the best here, followed by Wisconsin and then Michigan. I think Harbaugh needs to change the whole attitude of the team. It took him two years to turn Stanford into a winning program. Not saying Michigan was as big a wreck as Stanford was, but I think it takes at least a year.

What I am not understanding is why will the coaching change be a huge problem for NU but not for Wiscy? I get that Chryst was there before as the OC, but it is still a change. Without a doubt the best record will be between NU and Wiscy. Michigan will take a year or two to get back, maybe more. But I have to say that I think we are poised for a big year. So I will go with this order NU, Wiscy, and Michigan.

• Fire 1