Shatel: Excelling at basics is job one for '15

zoogs

Not even one game in and so many people have all these expectations. Entitled bunch of brats. Let the guy coach maybe one game, or let's see how the team looks halfway through the year. Does it look like they're coming together, having fun and playing good football? I'll be happy because I know with all those things, the wins eventually take care of themselves.

Expectations lulz. Why anyone thinks that anyone else gives a pico-shi* about his/her expectations is a mystery to me.

ESPN runs a "bottomline" across the bottom of the screen pretty much all day long. If all you're interested in is the wins and losses, aside from being a sad existence and missing the fun of the game, you can simply check there after it's all over.

Multicast_BCSCoaches.jpg

Not that wins and losses don't matter. They do matter, to all involved, but the how and why is usually a pretty big part of the discussion too. A lot goes into the how and why.

Well Sker I am one that has made the statement a million times. Because improvement is what I look for, wins will come with improvement of basic skills, basic coaching and development of the players.

I see us winning 9 games this year, maybe more, but I also see us playing better. I hope to see a team on the sidelines that is involved, yearning for the next play. Similar to what we saw with the USC game. That game showed me with out a doubt where the real problem of this team was, and why it was eliminated.

And yes I would take a season like MSU had, playing strong, guided, on a mission to improve, than what we saw here for the last 7 years.

Mike has a tough job ahead of him, as some here see talent that is not there and fail to see talent at other places, we have to play.

Coach Riley is our coach, let him lose some games before you are sure he will. He maybe the biggest bust we have ever had, who knows, but I want to see what he puts on the field, how he explains what he is doing, and how if there are short falls, how he plans to fix it. I doubt we will hear some of the asinine remarks made by his predecessor.

• Fire 1

Why do people get so upset when someone's expectations dont match theirs In the short term of one year?

The long term goal of winning championships is the goal. This year will happen how it happens no matter what we think or what type of expectations.

So, thesker, why not just chill out and enjoy the season? You are all uptight because you think fans aren't demanding enough. Really??? My expectations on this season should mean nothing to you other than an interesting conversation. Instead, you act all pissed at the world.

So, thesker, why not just chill out and enjoy the season? You are all uptight because you think fans aren't demanding enough. Really??? My expectations on this season should mean nothing to you other than an interesting conversation. Instead, you act all pissed at the world.

If you're referring to me......don't worry, it doesn't.

Nobody is giving the staff a free pass like you and a few others keep saying.

Um...

What’s the Huskers’ record? I don’t know. And, frankly, don’t care.

Then what do you call that?

Is that the same thing as giving the team a free pass? I don't know, you tell me. He talks the whole article about expecting improvement on fundamentals, technique, and overall quality of football. Doesn't sound like a free pass to me? Just sounds like he's more focused on quality of football over quantity of wins in this first season, but you can and will make whether you want out of one sentence in an article instead of hearing the poi t of the article as awhile. It is you're right to do so and from your stance on things, I'm not surprised that you did.

Bo's gone folks. He ain't comin' back, and soon I think you'll be glad of that, just not soon enough.

First, you can quit with the Bo lover fallacy. Just because people aren't 100% drinking the Kool-aid doesn't mean they want Bo back. It weakens your argument.

Second, this isn't a rebuilding job (or season) and any expectation or approval of such is in fact, a "free pass" for the season. I expect the offense to be top 20 offense (if TCU can bring in a new OC and jump 101 spots, we can stay top 20), and the defense to be top 40 (goodbye Bo). With this schedule, I think 10 regular season wins and a trip to the CCG should be in order.

How about your "we can't fire a 9 win coach" fallacy. You were the captain of that train.

Actually, what I said, was that it wouldn't go over well in the national media, and that people would question whether or not the fanbase would have realistic expectations. If you had spent any time on the board in the last 7 months, you'd know my thoughts on firing Pelini.
That's bs. You stated outright many times it wasn't going to happen to a nine win coach until the Wisconsin debacle part tres. I remember someone asking you pre-Iowa game about your opinion of firing him if we won because of your long held stance of the sacred 9. You said something to the effect of there's no way NU was going to win that game.

And still some believe the wins and losses had something to do with the firing of the past coach. It did not. 9 wins are good enough anywhere to keep a coach that does the job right. This was about a coach that did not fit Nebraska in any way, had no desire to be the head coach and looked at it as a stepping stone. Had he conducted himself in a reasonable manor he would still be here.

Going into the game, I did not see a way that Bo was going to be fired if he won against Iowa. I was already resigned to another shot, another year and it wouldn't necessarily be so bad, either -- again, before the "9 wins, celebration" changed my mind on it.

Some folks are proud to be level-headed enough not to be caught up in the kool-aid right now. I suppose that's fair. There's a certain level of irrationality, but when you're a fan, there always is. Nothing else explains my support for Bo's continued tenure as NU coach over the past few years for example -- if it has to happen, may as well try to get behind it.

But as for me right now, how can you not just enjoy the honeymoon period a little? No stress, guys. We can start setting "lines" and hard expectations after a few seasons of being tired of Riley's act. Personally, I don't plan on getting tired of it. After the last several seasons, I could use a lifetime of this. :wasted

• Fire 1

I expect to finish 2nd in the division. Not particularly high expectations, but an improvement over the last couple years, despite losing our best players on each side of the ball.

I expect us to play better as a team so we won't have to rely on freaks like Ameer and Randy to cover up as many deficiencies.

I expect Mike Riley to outcoach Jerry Kill.

Nobody is giving the staff a free pass like you and a few others keep saying.

Um...

What’s the Huskers’ record? I don’t know. And, frankly, don’t care.

Then what do you call that?

Is that the same thing as giving the team a free pass? I don't know, you tell me. He talks the whole article about expecting improvement on fundamentals, technique, and overall quality of football. Doesn't sound like a free pass to me? Just sounds like he's more focused on quality of football over quantity of wins in this first season, but you can and will make whether you want out of one sentence in an article instead of hearing the poi t of the article as awhile. It is you're right to do so and from your stance on things, I'm not surprised that you did.

Bo's gone folks. He ain't comin' back, and soon I think you'll be glad of that, just not soon enough.

First, you can quit with the Bo lover fallacy. Just because people aren't 100% drinking the Kool-aid doesn't mean they want Bo back. It weakens your argument.

Second, this isn't a rebuilding job (or season) and any expectation or approval of such is in fact, a "free pass" for the season. I expect the offense to be top 20 offense (if TCU can bring in a new OC and jump 101 spots, we can stay top 20), and the defense to be top 40 (goodbye Bo). With this schedule, I think 10 regular season wins and a trip to the CCG should be in order.

How about your "we can't fire a 9 win coach" fallacy. You were the captain of that train.
Actually, what I said, was that it wouldn't go over well in the national media, and that people would question whether or not the fanbase would have realistic expectations. If you had spent any time on the board in the last 7 months, you'd know my thoughts on firing Pelini.
That's bs. You stated outright many times it wasn't going to happen to a nine win coach until the Wisconsin debacle part tres. I remember someone asking you pre-Iowa game about your opinion of firing him if we won because of your long held stance of the sacred 9. You said something to the effect of there's no way NU was going to win that game.

Not exactly.

I expect to finish 2nd in the division. Not particularly high expectations, but an improvement over the last couple years, despite losing our best players on each side of the ball.

I expect us to play better as a team so we won't have to rely on freaks like Ameer and Randy to cover up as many deficiencies.

I expect Mike Riley to outcoach Jerry Kill.

Yup, I'd be down with that. We should at least be playing meaningful games the last couple weeks of the season. Will be a nice change.

Going into the game, I did not see a way that Bo was going to be fired if he won against Iowa. I was already resigned to another shot, another year and it wouldn't necessarily be so bad, either -- again, before the "9 wins, celebration" changed my mind on it.

Some folks are proud to be level-headed enough not to be caught up in the kool-aid right now. I suppose that's fair. There's a certain level of irrationality, but when you're a fan, there always is. Nothing else explains my support for Bo's continued tenure as NU coach over the past few years for example -- if it has to happen, may as well try to get behind it.

But as for me right now, how can you not just enjoy the honeymoon period a little? No stress, guys. We can start setting "lines" and hard expectations after a few seasons of being tired of Riley's act. Personally, I don't plan on getting tired of it. After the last several seasons, I could use a lifetime of this. :wasted

Even though many were hoping for change, few saw it happening after the team beat Iowa (that's how bad you suck Iowa, we win and still fire the coach). So, it came as a surprise when it was announced, both locally and especially nationally.

I'm drinking the kool-aid while also hoping/expecting improvement. For the life of me, I can't understand why people are upset about it. I don't really see anyone drawing a line in the sand, so I don't get why having expectations is a bad thing.

• Fire 1