ESPN's FPI Loves Them Some SEC

Mavric

Would could their argument possibly be for having MSU at 16? They lost to Oregon and Ohio State. That's it!

After some thorough research I discovered why. If you look closely at Michigan States field, it lacks something that say Tennessee's field has. There are 3 painted letters missing that seem to give teams a magical boost in the polls.

Would could their argument possibly be for having MSU at 16? They lost to Oregon and Ohio State. That's it!

After some thorough research I discovered why. If you look closely at Michigan States field, it lacks something that say Tennessee's field has. There are 3 painted letters missing that seem to give teams a magical boost in the polls.

ESPN?

Ok, its the south where "ejucashun iz king"

ESPN?

Ok, its the south where "ejucashun iz king"

Hold on a SECond
  • Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

FPI is kind of hilarious. Just another made up stat that ESPN totes around like it's the bible. Kind of like their QBR. I'm from Georgia and I don't even believe it. I feel sorry for Ole Miss though. I think TCU would have won no matter what, they were on a mission but a good portion of the starting defense was injured, Treadwell had a broken leg. They're not as bad as they looked or are made out to be.

• 2 weeks later...

They still love them some SEC but not quite as much.

Based on FPI’s pregame projections, which accounts for the strength of opponents faced and game site, the SEC underachieved more than any Power 5 conference in its non-conference games in Week 2 (1.2 fewer wins than expected).

As a result, the SEC fell more than any other conference in the Conference Power Rankings, and the gap between the SEC and the rest of the conferences is closing.
As a quick refresher, the Conference Power Rankings are a formula that equally weighs the rankings from the Associated Press poll and ESPN’s Football Power Index (FPI) to determine the best and worst conferences in the country. The AP Poll is designed to capture the strength at the top of the conference, while FPI is intended to capture conference depth.

1 - SEC - 92.4

2 - Big 12 - 86.2

3 - Pac-12 - 81.0

4 - Big Ten - 70.2

5 - ACC - 65.8

Link