Incoming Freshmen Loving Their New Jerseys

So what the heck is going to happen with Zack Darlington? He's #2 currently. I assume we can't have two guys with the same number on the same side of the ball. OR can we, as long as we manage them not being on the field at the same time?

You can't have two with the same number on the field at the same time. So it's possible but I'm sure Darlington is switching to some other number.

I don't think Darlington is moving...

So what the heck is going to happen with Zack Darlington? He's #2 currently. I assume we can't have two guys with the same number on the same side of the ball. OR can we, as long as we manage them not being on the field at the same time?

You can't have two with the same number on the field at the same time. So it's possible but I'm sure Darlington is switching to some other number.

This shows they have the same number so far.

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=22&SPSID=4&DB_OEM_ID=100

Official roster numbers will probably be released at the start of fall camp. I wouldn't make a big deal about duplicate numbers at this point. Maybe Stevenson promised Darlington a 12 pack of beer for his #2.

Apparenlty Burtch and Broekemeier are both #9 which I'd never noticed. Don't think there's a lot of chance for Broekemeier to be on the field.

Darlington was #6 in high school but Bush already has that number. #5, 12, 14, 16 and 18 are all QB-type numbers that are available.

Are they able to do like 02 vs 2?

Similar to 00 and 0 are different?

Apparenlty Burtch and Broekemeier are both #9 which I'd never noticed. Don't think there's a lot of chance for Broekemeier to be on the field.

Darlington was #6 in high school but Bush already has that number. #5, 12, 14, 16 and 18 are all QB-type numbers that are available.

Are they able to do like 02 vs 2?

Similar to 00 and 0 are different?

No. In basketball you can have either 0 or 00 but not both.

Same thing with Daishon Neal and #9

Well, not really but Sam Burtch and Tyson BroekeMeier both wear #9.

Also Three #26's (Kicker, WR, LB)

three #27's (Punter/RB/S)

I think the rule is that each segment can have a player with the # and cant be on the official roster. So if they dress both Darlington and Stevenson, i believe one would have a different #.

Not fully sure how it works though.

This makes sense. I guess it's not unheard of.

For the record, I'm not making a big deal out of it, just merely curious what happens. The answer, considering the #9, just comes down to managing who's on the field. Looks like we'll never see Stevenson and Darlington on the field at the same time.

Another question.. so lets say we get in to a situation during the season where Stevenson is on the field and Armstrong gets hurt and Darlington is our backup.... Do they switch jerseys with someone else or what do they do?

Could they ban them from both playing?

Wouldnt shock me to see Stevenson go to #22 after Ameer. EDIT: total brain fart here-- not sure why i thought Ameer was 22..... Good lord

Nevermind.. just saw Ozigbo is #22...

Curious on the retired numbers side. a list below is the retired numbers, but many are used.... so could Stevenson take #20?

Retired jerseys:

Another question.. so lets say we get in to a situation during the season where Stevenson is on the field and Armstrong gets hurt and Darlington is our backup.... Do they switch jerseys with someone else or what do they do?

Could they ban them from both playing?

Wouldnt shock me to see Stevenson go to #22 after Ameer.

Nevermind.. just saw Ozigbo is #22...

Curious on the retired numbers side. a list below is the retired numbers, but many are used.... so could Stevenson take #20?

Retired jerseys:

Years ago, NU stopped retiring #'s, and started to retire jerseys instead, for players who won major college awards.

I think the only numbers that are officially retired are #60 for Tom Novak and #64 for Bob Brown (I could be wrong on Brown though).

Years ago, NU stopped retiring #'s, and started to retire jerseys instead, for players who won major college awards.

I think the only numbers that are officially retired are #60 for Tom Novak and #64 for Bob Brown (I could be wrong on Brown though).

You are correct on this. #60 and #64 are the only two not in use anymore.

It took me awhile to figure out but that's why those two numbers are in red on the face of North Stadium while all the other "retired jerseys" are in black.