What's Most Important From Armstrong?

Mavric

Our backup QB's couldn't be a third stringer on any other team in the Big Ten? Did I just read that right?

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Ryker is #2 & he is terrible.

He is a D2 trying to play D1.

Did SouthLincoln Husker just reply to himself????

Our backup QB's couldn't be a third stringer on any other team in the Big Ten? Did I just read that right?

Did SouthLincoln Husker just reply to himself????

Just adding to why I feel this way. I have been watch him play since HS and have seen very little improvement. The kid has character & grit, but if Tommy gets hurt we have little backup choices. If Ryker is #2, the 2 RFr are not ready to step up yet.

Regardless of whether that's true or not, he IS the likely back up. It doesn't mean he's the most talented - it likely just means he's the most reliable, comfortable option the coaches have back there. This "D2" player has proven himself over all these coveted younger QB's and you're insulting the kid. Is that really necessary?

Let the best players play - it doesn't matter if they're from somewhere you don't think is worthy or if you think they suck. Apparently, he's not "terrible" if he's in the position he is in.

• Fire 3

I am anticipating a bumpy first few games from Tommy. A little learning curve. Both games still winnable. I would like to see him mature into a quarterback with his decision making and accuracy. He already has leadership skills and is full of confidence. If he improves, we will have a nice year. If he doesn't steadily improve from game to game....

We place a different value on experience and familiarity. I'm fine with that.

I think it's pretty valuable. That fact that a lot of those guys have very few receptions in games make me wonder how it will go when they get out there. Combinethe lack of familiarity and experience at WR with a coaching transition and a new offensive system, and I think this is an issue that will show itself during games.

While you'd certainly like more experienced veterans in your group, we're not exactly depraved of experience.

Burtch, Reilly, Hovey, Allen and Jamal all have plenty of live game experience against quality teams. Obviously Westy is the number one guy, and Stanley Morgan looks to be pushing for an inevitable role as a contributor as a true frosh, and you've got a solid 7 guys with varying degrees of experience, but with experience nonetheless. We've also got two solid tight ends that have plenty of experience under the lights.

I think individual great players matter way less than mental toughness on great teams. I'm certain the sky had completely fallen on OSU fans when Braxton was out for the season, and then again when Barrett went down against Michigan.

ZhUraf.gif

One play BrB and LOMS. One play destroyed any chance we had of defeating the #5 team in the country in the AP final poll. Two inexperienced WR's.

There will be plays like this in the future and we can only hope they don't impact the entire program like this single play did last year. We make this play, continue this drive, and score a touchdown, and Bo Pelini is still the HC at Nebraska.

5dwUZz.gif

This is important for Tommy as well.

How about some damn organization and a level headed demeanor on the sideline.

This is after Alonzo Moore makes a huge catch to keep our possible comeback drive alive. MSU takes a timeout, they are in panic mode.

Yet, we look like the ones in panic mode. The emotions have clearly overcome everybody. This is just a 12 second GIF, but if you watch the video of the game, the amount of confusion on our sideline is clear.

Too many people talking. Poor communication. Tommy is overwhelmed by three different coaches doing God knows what during this timeout instead of having a guy on the sideline explaining the plan in a calm manner.

Ganz is talking, Westerkamp is in Tommy's ear, Pelini comes up and says something. They kind of jog out there no huddle, the team never really huddles up and gets on the same page.

Good lord. MSU called the timeout guys! You've got time to regroup and execute whatever you want. Instead, Moore and Pierons El damn near run directly beside each other down the sideline, they are nearly covering each other's routes up. Moore nearly makes a miraculous catch off a back footed throw by Tommy, an accurate throw still, but man what an ugly play out of a gifted timeout from them.

We place a different value on experience and familiarity. I'm fine with that.

I think it's pretty valuable. That fact that a lot of those guys have very few receptions in games make me wonder how it will go when they get out there. Combinethe lack of familiarity and experience at WR with a coaching transition and a new offensive system, and I think this is an issue that will show itself during games.

While you'd certainly like more experienced veterans in your group, we're not exactly depraved of experience.

Burtch, Reilly, Hovey, Allen and Jamal all have plenty of live game experience against quality teams. Obviously Westy is the number one guy, and Stanley Morgan looks to be pushing for an inevitable role as a contributor as a true frosh, and you've got a solid 7 guys with varying degrees of experience, but with experience nonetheless. We've also got two solid tight ends that have plenty of experience under the lights.

I think individual great players matter way less than mental toughness on great teams. I'm certain the sky had completely fallen on OSU fans when Braxton was out for the season, and then again when Barrett went down against Michigan.

ZhUraf.gif

One play BrB and LOMS. One play destroyed any chance we had of defeating the #5 team in the country in the AP final poll. Two inexperienced WR's.

There will be plays like this in the future and we can only hope they don't impact the entire program like this single play did last year. We make this play, continue this drive, and score a touchdown, and Bo Pelini is still the HC at Nebraska.

Who says it's not important? My comments were based on the choice of words "Deck stacked against them". Those four words really don't pertain to this.

They need to work hard and get familiar with the offense and playing with each other. This happens every year in a large number of programs and that is what fall camp is about.

We have a new staff with more experience and a totally different personality. I firmly believe that if we end up in the same situation the demeanor on the side lines will be totally different and our players will have more confidence in what they can do. And ultimately, they will have more instruction and knowledge of the what is expected.

Interestingly, I have been now it two conversations in the last month about this play. The last one was with someone wanting to blame the entire INT on Armstrong because he should have never thrown the ball. Now, I'm in a conversation (more correct) using this play to explain the importance of having players that know what they are supposed to do on every play on the field.

And, I will say this. One play does not hold as much importance as you put on this play. We should have never been down to that one play meaning everything. If our O line would have pulled their heads out of the collective asses earlier in the game or if the coaches would have done the same with the clapping/snap count issue, we would have never been down to this one play in the first place.

Even though I wish we would have won this game, I'm not sad it helped cause Bo to get fired.

I agree the demeanor will be different. All I'm saying is that is important.

Whether we "should" be down to that play meaning everything or not really has no bearing on the conversation. Looking purely at facts, this play ended up costing Nebraska a chance at what was becoming a program changing comeback. This would have been a huge victory for Nebraska and for Bo Pelini.

I'm not glad we lost, but I too am glad the dummy is gone. I'm simply giving a very good example of how the lack of experience at WR ultimately had a large impact on much more than just one play. As I said in my original point, I place an extremely high value on experience. This play is one of the best illustrations of why that is.

KB - gone

AA - gone

DPE - gone 6-8 weeks

JW - 13 games played 44 receptions last year

JT - 2 games played- 4 receptions last year

BR - 7 games played - 6 receptions last year

AM - 11 games played - 10 receptions

TA - 12 games played - 8 receptions

LH - 12 games played - 5 receptions

CC - 9 games played - 6 receptions

SC - 13 games played - 3 receptions

Here I am making excuses for Tommy before the season even starts. That's what some will say. Facts are facts. If Tommy overcomes the odds to be successful this season, it will be a credit to him and to this coaching staff, and these inexperienced WR's, because right now the deck is stacked against these guys.

The deck is not stacked against these guys. Every team loses major contributors every year. We had a good team last year (not great and not to the level we strive for, but good). I see no reason why we won't have a good team this year with the chance of improvement on that. It's not like the guys you listed have never played football before. They are here because they are very good athletes and are good at what they do.

Seeing True's post listing the receivers who are gone made me wonder just how many guys we have left who can catch the ball. Turns out we have 28 WRs and TEs on the rosters. 28! Sure, that includes a lot of practice players who won't likely ever see the field. But holy crap, 28! That's a lot.

28 WR's and TE's! Minus Jordan Westerkamp's 44 catches and DPE for 6-8 weeks, there's 53 combined receptions made by any other WR or TE last season, that will be on the roster this year.

So 53 total receptions last year made by the entire WR and TE roster not named Westerkamp and DPE.

Geez that's like an average of 2 receptions per WR/TE! Gah! What is anyone so worried about? That's plenty.

28 WR's and TE's! Minus Jordan Westerkamp's 44 catches and DPE for 6-8 weeks, there's 53 combined receptions made by any other WR or TE last season, that will be on the roster this year.

So 53 total receptions last year made by the entire WR and TE roster not named Westerkamp and DPE.

Geez that's like an average of 2 receptions per WR/TE! Gah! What is anyone so worried about? That's plenty.

Yeah, I was shocked that there's that many. I mean, how many have more than a handful of receptions during the season. Maybe 8 or 10? Fewer?

I would trade half a dozen of those guys for one Kenny Bell or Quincy Enunwa.

Yeah, I was shocked that there's that many. I mean, how many have more than a handful of receptions during the season. Maybe 8 or 10? Fewer?

I would trade half a dozen of those guys for one Kenny Bell or Quincy Enunwa.

Give me JW, Enunwa, DPE, and KB back this season and you can have all 26 of those other guys.