What's Most Important From Armstrong?

Mavric

I love that people are giving teach a hard time, when he's just repeating what has been posted here for the last 9 months.

I know! It seems like as the season gets closer the attitudes are changing a bit!

I think you both have misunderstood the discussion from the very beginning.

Negative. The discussion was very clear. We've been hearing for 9 months how awful everything was with the last staff, comments like "Beck'd", and how everyone on the staff is an upgrade.

I'm buying in, like teach, and expecting that to translate to the field.

KB - gone

AA - gone

DPE - gone 6-8 weeks

JW - 13 games played 44 receptions last year

JT - 2 games played- 4 receptions last year

BR - 7 games played - 6 receptions last year

AM - 11 games played - 10 receptions

TA - 12 games played - 8 receptions

LH - 12 games played - 5 receptions

CC - 9 games played - 6 receptions

SC - 13 games played - 3 receptions

Here I am making excuses for Tommy before the season even starts. That's what some will say. Facts are facts. If Tommy overcomes the odds to be successful this season, it will be a credit to him and to this coaching staff, and these inexperienced WR's, because right now the deck is stacked against these guys.

The deck is not stacked against these guys. Every team loses major contributors every year. We had a good team last year (not great and not to the level we strive for, but good). I see no reason why we won't have a good team this year with the chance of improvement on that. It's not like the guys you listed have never played football before. They are here because they are very good athletes and are good at what they do.

We place a different value on experience and familiarity. I'm fine with that.

I think it's pretty valuable. That fact that a lot of those guys have very few receptions in games make me wonder how it will go when they get out there. Combinethe lack of familiarity and experience at WR with a coaching transition and a new offensive system, and I think this is an issue that will show itself during games.

We will agree to disagree and move on.

I do agree that those are talented guys and high level athletes. To make it sound as if I was trying to say they've never played football before is pretty well boneheaded, no other way to put that. I've heard plenty about how well some of these guys perform in practice. What I haven't seen is how well they perform on the field. Jamal Turner, Brandon Reilly, and Alonzo Moore have not lived up to the hype that's surrounded them. Nor have they really gotten a whole lot of opportunities to do so. Hence, the experience factor and why I think it's important.

Two pages and nobody has the answer yet.

Tommy Armstrong, what is most important?

"To crush your enemy. To see them driven before you. To hear the lamentation of their women."

He said that about their women? Oh boy, this is way worse than the flip phone thing.

Why would he want to laminate their women anyway?

JamieYewUnderWraps.jpg

KB - gone

AA - gone

DPE - gone 6-8 weeks

JW - 13 games played 44 receptions last year

JT - 2 games played- 4 receptions last year

BR - 7 games played - 6 receptions last year

AM - 11 games played - 10 receptions

TA - 12 games played - 8 receptions

LH - 12 games played - 5 receptions

CC - 9 games played - 6 receptions

SC - 13 games played - 3 receptions

Here I am making excuses for Tommy before the season even starts. That's what some will say. Facts are facts. If Tommy overcomes the odds to be successful this season, it will be a credit to him and to this coaching staff, and these inexperienced WR's, because right now the deck is stacked against these guys.

The deck is not stacked against these guys. Every team loses major contributors every year. We had a good team last year (not great and not to the level we strive for, but good). I see no reason why we won't have a good team this year with the chance of improvement on that. It's not like the guys you listed have never played football before. They are here because they are very good athletes and are good at what they do.

I think it's pretty valuable. That fact that a lot of those guys have very few receptions in games make me wonder how it will go when they get out there. Combinethe lack of familiarity and experience at WR with a coaching transition and a new offensive system, and I think this is an issue that will show itself during games.

We will agree to disagree and move on.

I do agree that those are talented guys and high level athletes. To make it sound as if I was trying to say they've never played football before is pretty well boneheaded, no other way to put that. I've heard plenty about how well some of these guys perform in practice. What I haven't seen is how well they perform on the field. Jamal Turner, Brandon Reilly, and Alonzo Moore have not lived up to the hype that's surrounded them. Nor have they really gotten a whole lot of opportunities to do so. Hence, the experience factor and why I think it's important.

Maybe we have different definitions of "deck stacked against them". That tells me they are set up to fail from the start and that simply isn't true. Sure, we haven't seen the production on the field from this group yet. But, for many, that's simply because they haven't had that opportunity yet. Some have shown flashes of ability when given the opportunity.

What you are describing is simply unfamiliarity the fans have with this group and I would agree with this. We simply don't know what we have yet. I guess I don't call that "deck stacked against them". It's simply exciting for me to see who is going to come out of this group and produce. Last year at this time, we really didn't know who DPE was either.

While you'd certainly like more experienced veterans in your group, we're not exactly depraved of experience.

Burtch, Reilly, Hovey, Allen and Jamal all have plenty of live game experience against quality teams. Obviously Westy is the number one guy, and Stanley Morgan looks to be pushing for an inevitable role as a contributor as a true frosh, and you've got a solid 7 guys with varying degrees of experience, but with experience nonetheless. We've also got two solid tight ends that have plenty of experience under the lights.

I think individual great players matter way less than mental toughness on great teams. I'm certain the sky had completely fallen on OSU fans when Braxton was out for the season, and then again when Barrett went down against Michigan.

• Fire 1

When does a season go by that players and coaches don't get heat during and after games!

Is this a question or a Jeopardy answer?

Either way, I don't know the answer, you tell me. When does a season go by that players and coaches don't get heat during and after games?

I meant: Every season players and coaches get the heat during and after games in losses or squeak a win out against lesser talent. Is that better True? Sorry for the confusion brain fart.

While you'd certainly like more experienced veterans in your group, we're not exactly depraved of experience.

Burtch, Reilly, Hovey, Allen and Jamal all have plenty of live game experience against quality teams. Obviously Westy is the number one guy, and Stanley Morgan looks to be pushing for an inevitable role as a contributor as a true frosh, and you've got a solid 7 guys with varying degrees of experience, but with experience nonetheless. We've also got two solid tight ends that have plenty of experience under the lights.

I think individual great players matter way less than mental toughness on great teams. I'm certain the sky had completely fallen on OSU fans when Braxton was out for the season, and then again when Barrett went down against Michigan.

I don't know that anyone should be using what Ohio State did last year as some sort of standard example. What Ohio St. was able to accomplish with their 3rd string QB last year was AMAZING, to say the least.

As I said, if Nebraska's offense comes out looking like a well composed unit, able to execute at a highly efficient rate, I think that is a huge credit to the hard work of Tommy, the WR's and this staff. Maybe "deck stacked against them" was the wrong term, but they've definitely got an uphill battle. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks sloppy sometimes. Hopefully the coaches philosophy of finding what they do and sticking to it proves to be enough, but surely it will be harder to find what they do well, at least for awhile, with the lack of experience for some of these guys. Hard to know what these guys do well. Haven't seen a whole lot of them.

Completion percentage is nice and I would like to see it go up, but it is a little over ratied when looking at statistics of a QB. Conner Cook is considered one of the best QB in the BIG and sure fire pro prospect. His completion percentage last year was 57% not the magical 60% everyone wants for TA. His TD/INT ratio was very good though, something like 26/6 while TA was 22/12.

Throwing fewer INTs while increasing the TDs is way more important than completion %. Yards per attempt is also a good indicator.

Good example. Cook was 75th nationally in completion percentage and 9th in yards per attempt. I think most people would consider him closer to the 9th best QB than the 75th best QB in the nation.

7th best sound fair?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr/_/year/2014

That works too haha. That's a lot of stuff. As far as basic stats go, yards per attempt is the best quick and easy way to get a general idea of how well a QB played.

The fundamental problem with completion percentage is it counts 25 yard completions and -3 yard completions as equal. Which is of course nonsense.