This particular sideline shot from game made me fee really good

mwj98

I dont know if you all caught it, bit it was the play jamal turner didnt step to ball in a screen play. It was almost a pick. But when he went to sideline, there was no yelling, in your face, wtf smack talk. Recievers coach told him what he ahould have done. It looked like turner knew it and took responsibility. That stuck out to me. It shows what type of coaches we have. These kids will respond and take on demeanor of their coach.

Now, letd go back in time.....was it northwestern game when bo got on someone (safety I think) and it turned into shouting match. That was embarassing. Also, didnt he get into with stafford ?

My whole point is sometimez kids respond better with different coaching styles. I think we have a good staff. Plus, it was good to see steve taylor at a practice. The whole damn atmosphere feels better.

GBR!

• Fire 1

Yea, funny thing is, this is an issue with Turner that was specifically mentioned in fall practice. He was not coming back to the ball. Very first live game pass to Turner, and the issue shows itself.

Problem is, on that kind of throw, if the defensive back jumps the route at all, he has a great opportunity to snatch it from the air and there's nobody between him and six points.

She something like that happens and it does become a pick six, every fan in the country says "damnit Tommy, why did you throw that effin ball! Bench Tommy! Fire Riley! Kill a puppy!"

Reality is, that the more intelligent fans among us will recognize that an interception like that, and many others, are the result of the receiver being undisciplined. In this offense, it became apparent Saturday that timing will be a huge key to this offense, even more than last season. If we aren't doing those little things, it will result in turnovers. There are plenty of examples last season.

Yeah, it was really nice not seeing coaches losing their minds as players came off the field. Riley kept his composure during some really bad calls. Didn't spit on anyone. Didn't hit a ref with his hat. The team looked a lot more composed, which was evident in the third quarter comeback.

Composure....thats it

There was another moment that stuck out to me. I believe it was an illegal procedure penalty on us. Instead of coaches yelling at each other, we got a sideline shot of Riley and Williams talking and figuring out who and what caused the penalty.

Sure, that is great and all but they had 12 penalties. When the number is a dozen does it really matter how the coaches are reacting?

Now...if next week it is half of that...I will be happy and it will show that their reactions could be helping.

Riley said that 10 of the 12 penalties are easily correctible. Let's hope that's true, because his teams were a bit penalty prone at Oregon State.

The worst shot of the day... was when you saw HCMR watching the Hail Mary. Absolute gut punch, and you could see it hurt him just as bad as us. :hmmph

See, that is what I hope...correct them now.

The coaches were very professional on the sideline and that's refreshing to see. I loved seeing the teaching moments taken advantage of that's for sure instead of turning those moments into scream sessions.

This. We'll never see a red-faced Coach Riley spraying our starting QB with spit as he comes off the field. On the other hand, he's also not comatose on the sideline like Kirk Ferentz and calmly making out his grocery list on his note pad while his team falls to pieces all around him.

Coach Riley has fire, but he's also an adult. I'm glad he's on our sideline representing DONU, and nothing that happened on Saturday changed that opinion. With all that said, he's very clearly got his work cut out for him this season.

Yep, comes from being a nice guy. But his 'niceness' if you, will is a reflection of what's going on inside of him. He is able to stay calm in chaotic situations and that calm transfers to the players.

I loved the way actual coaching was happening on the sidelines. That's what needs to happen every game. I'm sure most of the time the players knew what they did wrong but I'm sure that they liked hearing someone tell them how to fix the problem so that they would improve their play for next time and to encourage them to hang in there.

There was another moment that stuck out to me. I believe it was an illegal procedure penalty on us. Instead of coaches yelling at each other, we got a sideline shot of Riley and Williams talking and figuring out who and what caused the penalty.

Sure, that is great and all but they had 12 penalties. When the number is a dozen does it really matter how the coaches are reacting?

Now...if next week it is half of that...I will be happy and it will show that their reactions could be helping.

This.