Appreciation for Tommy's Stats

Why is the entire narrative around Taysom Hill so much different than around Tommy Armstrong?

Here is how they faired this game:

Tommy

24-41 (58.5%), 1 INT, 319 yards, 3 TDs, 3 sacks

Taysom

21-34 (61.7%), 1 INT, 268 yards, 1 TD, 3 sacks

They both ran 9 times and Taysom out yarded him. However, for some reason Tommy didn't run on some plays that he could have made major gains.

I believe when Taysom went out of the game, Nebraska was leading.

If Taysom wasn't out for the season, everyone would be talking about how great he is and how he should still be in the Heisman race and how he can take over a game...bla bla bla....

Meanwhile, the talk around Tommy is constantly about what he does wrong, throwing off his back foot, throwing INTs...etc. After this game, there was some talk about him having a better game and improving. But, it always goes back to what he needs to do to get better because "we will never win a championship with him".

Why?

Edited by NUance
Great point, BRB. This DOES deserve its own thread. So I made one for you. ;-)
  • Fire 4

Tayson Hill is the #10 ranked QB in this article: LINK. Tommy is ranked #37. But look at this quote of Outdoorsman from the BYU thread comparing Tommy's stats to Tayson's stats:

I found this interesting...world beater Taysom Hill's sophomore passing stats.

2ev3xj8.png

They look oddly similar to Tommy's sophomore stats.

2ev6ux5.png

I've linked to the full stats for both guys. Taysom had a lot more rushing yards but mostly because he had 100 more rushing attempts.

Hill's sophomore stats weren't so great, but he really took a huge step up his junior year (last year), and was playing amazing in the game against us. Good runner, but every pass was right on the money as well.

That being said, Tommy played a great football game. With the exception of the very ugly 2nd quarter (two intentional groundings is not a good look), which was due in large part to a sudden surge of pressure from BYU's front 3-4, Tommy played as good as he ever has throwing the ball and managing a game.

• Fire 1

Did Tommy really throw ten or so of his incompletions in the second quarter? That's a pretty sharp look for the rest of the game. I understand that we're running some screen passes that are effectively runs....but if we're able to do that and get great passing numbers out of Tommy, I'd say that is skills well leveraged.

Did Tommy really throw ten or so of his incompletions in the second quarter? That's a pretty sharp look for the rest of the game. I understand that we're running some screen passes that are effectively runs....but if we're able to do that and get great passing numbers out of Tommy, I'd say that is skills well leveraged.

Actually 12 incompletions in the 2nd quarter:

1st: 10-12, 156 yards, 2 TDs

2nd: 3-15, 45 yards

3rd: 8-11, 80 yards, TD, INT

4th: 3-3, 38 yards

The rest of the game he was 21-26 (80.7%)

• Fire 4

They both ran 9 times and Taysom out yarded him.

That is a very nice way of leaving out the difference between 8.0 yards per carry and 0.2 (and 2 TD and zero).

One defense also had one of the worst secondaries in the nation, the other did not.

Tommy also had two elementary school intentional groundings that were costly.

• Fire 2

That is a very nice way of leaving out the difference between 7.0 yards per carry and 0.2.

One defense also had one of the worst secondaries in the nation, the other did not.

Elementary school?

One was due to the fact that it didn't reach the LOS, but it was the correct decision. We are also leaving out the fact that some BYU DL's made it into the backfield unblocked. Also, how our RB's seriously need to work on their pass pro. To me, those two things are a lot more worrisome than Tommy being forced to throw a ball away awkwardly.

• Fire 3

That is a very nice way of leaving out the difference between 8.0 yards per carry and 0.2 (and 2 TD and zero).

And, then you leave off the explanation for that. He didn't pull it down and run for some reason on some plays that he could have gained major yards. The best guess is that he was told not to for some reason, possibly to try to keep him healthy.

Using this message board's preferred pass defense stat, BYU had the 66th ranked pass defense last year. Mediocre, but not one of the worst in the nation. Not sure how that translates into one of the worst secondaries in the nation this season.

Which one is that, whatever makes the poster's point look better? :lol:

I saw another post talking about their secondary ranked roughly 110th in the nation. If they were mediocre instead of terrible, that changes everything!

• Fire 1

Theres just a couple handfuls of people on this board that really, really don't want to see Tommy succeed.

There is a difference between criticism and really not wanting Tommy to succeed. Can you tell the difference?
Its an appreciation for Tommy Armstrong thread.

I don't think Tommy did a terrible job by any means. I think he was about on par with what we've seen from him in the past. Some really good, a cannon for an arm, some really bad, and questionable decision-making.

These are your comments.

We can all criticize. Its the guys who have never acknowledged anything the guy does well, that's who I have an issue with.

You did say he has a cannon for an arm. My bad...that changes everything.

For a minute I thought you just came in here to debunk any positives said about the guy.

• Fire 4

Theres just a couple handfuls of people on this board that really, really don't want to see Tommy succeed.

There is a difference between criticism and really not wanting Tommy to succeed. Can you tell the difference?

It's pretty difficult to tell, but then again, maybe I'm not one of the "smart Husker football fans" that the media and other opponents always talk about.