NU comes up short in big situations

I think maybe its the perspective we look at it. I myself watched football in the 90s but really didnt start watching until about 05. Some of the posters may get frustrated in loosing the games we should win and getting blown out on the ones they should at least be competative where in the past they would win the ones they should of and either one or kept it somewhat close for the others.

This isn't new to Nebraska. Up until 1994, Nebraska came up short on a lot of big situations under Osborne. Solich and Callahan had their fair share as well.

Osborne won plenty of "big games" along the way too. I didn't go to include the Solich years, but the Callahan years are shown too.

Considering he didn't win a championship for 22 years, i would say at least one time every year before 1994, he came up short in a big situation.

Yes, but my list showed "multiple" games in numerous situations throughout the year. It wasn't done to show every time NU has come up short in big situations. I lived through the Osborne losses in the 80s and early 90s, but TO had plenty of big wins to go along with those big losses. Recently, the big wins really haven't been there.

Well, just looking at my college years:

85 = 1-3 against ranked teams.

86 = 2-1 against ranked teams and also lost to unranked CU

87 = 3-2 against ranked teams

89 = 0-2 against ranked teams

90 = 0-3 against ranked teams

Between 1980 and 1994, Nebraska was 4-10 in bowl games.

Yes, TO went through a period where he struggled in big situations.

Don't forget that before 1994 that 4-10 bowl game record included losing 7 straight
I'm not forgetting those. But, the TO years were still a LOT better than the past 10+ years. TO's teams were at least competitive in many of those games. Yes, he came up short a number of times, but he also produced big wins in that time period.

As a whole they were. I you put all 25 years of TO together, of course they were better than the last 10 years. However, take the years I have pointed out and I would claim that those weren't much better if any.

They were better in the perspective that TO wasn't giving up 50-70 points in his losses and not getting blown out of the stadium. He lost, but they were "closer' games.

Oh...I agree. However, think back to some of those bowl games against Miami, FSU...etc. where we basically got blown out and weren't really in the game.

1986 LSU = lost 30-15.

1988 Miami = lost 23-3

1989 FSU = lost 41-17

1990 GT = lost 45-21

1991 Miami - lost 22-0

These were games we never were in and basically got blown out. Did those teams score 50-70 points? No. But, a couple were close.

NU beat LSU in the 1986 Sugar Bowl. I hear what you are saying. There were a number of years where TO's teams were not competing against top teams in the country. Look at the teams that NU were losing to? They were teams consistently in the National Championship conversation.

The reason for my post was that NU can't carry forward positive momentum or even build positive momentum. It's always 2 steps forward and 1 step back (or even worse).

The reason for my post was that NU can't carry forward positive momentum or even build positive momentum. It's always 2 steps forward and 1 step back (or even worse).

This, I would agree with. It's been a maddening decade or two.

This makes a lot of sense. It is not that NU is terrible, because they are not, they have not reached that pinnacle even once since 2001.

This makes a lot of sense. It is not that NU is terrible, because they are not, they have not reached that pinnacle even once since 2001.

And they've had chances to climb the ladder, but it's like ColoradoHusk said - one step up, one step back (paraphrasing). We've been languishing in this tire-spinning phase for a long time. That's probably why so many people took the Hail Mary loss to BYU so hard. There were a lot of positives in that game, but with yet another loss, it's easy to see why those thoughts of "we're going nowhere" come in.

Just gotta fight those things. Especially with a regime change. Patience isn't easy, but it's all we've got right now.

• Fire 1

It's gonna be hard to please you when you say, "NU needs to start WINNING these games under Riley" and "But when do we find the right coach to find our mojo?"

Both of your statements are unfair. We only played one game and your view is we need to start winning. Well, unfortunately, with only one game being played ... we just can't meet your expectation. Second, it appears you had concluded before or after this one game that we have not found the right coach.

You might actually be "spot on" on your view. I hope not. We have fallen so far I don't know with Nebraska's geography and our attachment to the B1G if we will ever find our way to the promise land. However, I think Coach Riley will put a product on the field that I can be happy with. I just don't think we are gonna see near the glory we once enjoyed.

I agree that those statements are probably unfair, and one game is way too early to make a decision on Riley. However, the small things that led to NU's loss are very concerning. Is that a one game blip, or is it something we will continue to see?

Your just completely overacting. I would give MR at least half of the season before I get super concerned.

The big problem is that you have no respect for BYU as a football team. I knew they would be a decent team that played hard physical football. They were actually better than I thought they would be. Lets see how they look over their next three games. They play BSU, Michigan and UCLA on consecutive weekends. After those games they may not be challenged the rest of the year.

If NU loses on a Hail Mary to ASU or Arkansas or S. Carolina you wouldn't be nearly as concerned because you have more respect for those teams.

How do you know I don't have any respect for BYU? I know exactly who they are and who they were before the game. I knew it would be a tough game and it would probably go down to the wire. But, in a big game as Riley's first game as head coach, NU didn't play all that well. Even despite not playing all that well, NU was in position to win, and poor game management/poor coaching left the door open for a loss.

...and why did you think this? What you predicted happened and you are still complaining... Sometimes when other teams play well, they can make the other team look bad.

And they've had chances to climb the ladder, but it's like ColoradoHusk said - one step up, one step back (paraphrasing). We've been languishing in this tire-spinning phase for a long time. That's probably why so many people took the Hail Mary loss to BYU so hard. There were a lot of positives in that game, but with yet another loss, it's easy to see why those thoughts of "we're going nowhere" come in.

Just gotta fight those things. Especially with a regime change. Patience isn't easy, but it's all we've got right now.

That sums up my feelings very well. It only took 1 game under Riley for NU to experience a loss that has happened for the past 10-15 (almost 20) years. That's what is concerning, and that is really the biggest thing that Riley has to change.

It's gonna be hard to please you when you say, "NU needs to start WINNING these games under Riley" and "But when do we find the right coach to find our mojo?"

Both of your statements are unfair. We only played one game and your view is we need to start winning. Well, unfortunately, with only one game being played ... we just can't meet your expectation. Second, it appears you had concluded before or after this one game that we have not found the right coach.

You might actually be "spot on" on your view. I hope not. We have fallen so far I don't know with Nebraska's geography and our attachment to the B1G if we will ever find our way to the promise land. However, I think Coach Riley will put a product on the field that I can be happy with. I just don't think we are gonna see near the glory we once enjoyed.

I agree that those statements are probably unfair, and one game is way too early to make a decision on Riley. However, the small things that led to NU's loss are very concerning. Is that a one game blip, or is it something we will continue to see?

Your just completely overacting. I would give MR at least half of the season before I get super concerned.

The big problem is that you have no respect for BYU as a football team. I knew they would be a decent team that played hard physical football. They were actually better than I thought they would be. Lets see how they look over their next three games. They play BSU, Michigan and UCLA on consecutive weekends. After those games they may not be challenged the rest of the year.

If NU loses on a Hail Mary to ASU or Arkansas or S. Carolina you wouldn't be nearly as concerned because you have more respect for those teams.

How do you know I don't have any respect for BYU? I know exactly who they are and who they were before the game. I knew it would be a tough game and it would probably go down to the wire. But, in a big game as Riley's first game as head coach, NU didn't play all that well. Even despite not playing all that well, NU was in position to win, and poor game management/poor coaching left the door open for a loss.

...and why did you think this? What you predicted happened and you are still complaining... Sometimes when other teams play well, they can make the other team look bad.

Yes, BYU played well, especially on offense. But, even with NU not playing all that well, NU was in position to win the game. There was very bad clock management at the end of the game, and that's on the coaches. Then, on the biggest play of the game, it seems like everyone on the defense didn't do their job.

This isn't new to Nebraska. Up until 1994, Nebraska came up short on a lot of big situations under Osborne. Solich and Callahan had their fair share as well.

Osborne won plenty of "big games" along the way too. I didn't go to include the Solich years, but the Callahan years are shown too.

Considering he didn't win a championship for 22 years, i would say at least one time every year before 1994, he came up short in a big situation.

Yes, but my list showed "multiple" games in numerous situations throughout the year. It wasn't done to show every time NU has come up short in big situations. I lived through the Osborne losses in the 80s and early 90s, but TO had plenty of big wins to go along with those big losses. Recently, the big wins really haven't been there.

Don't forget that before 1994 that 4-10 bowl game record included losing 7 straight
I'm not forgetting those. But, the TO years were still a LOT better than the past 10+ years. TO's teams were at least competitive in many of those games. Yes, he came up short a number of times, but he also produced big wins in that time period.

As a whole they were. I you put all 25 years of TO together, of course they were better than the last 10 years. However, take the years I have pointed out and I would claim that those weren't much better if any.

They were better in the perspective that TO wasn't giving up 50-70 points in his losses and not getting blown out of the stadium. He lost, but they were "closer' games.

Oh...I agree. However, think back to some of those bowl games against Miami, FSU...etc. where we basically got blown out and weren't really in the game.

1986 LSU = lost 30-15.

1988 Miami = lost 23-3

1989 FSU = lost 41-17

1990 GT = lost 45-21

1991 Miami - lost 22-0

These were games we never were in and basically got blown out. Did those teams score 50-70 points? No. But, a couple were close.

NU beat LSU in the 1986 Sugar Bowl. I hear what you are saying. There were a number of years where TO's teams were not competing against top teams in the country. Look at the teams that NU were losing to? They were teams consistently in the National Championship conversation.

Thanks for the correction. I saw an "L" in the column and I made the mistake. That was for the OU game right above the LSU game. Yes, we lost to NC contenders. But, did you also notice in my lists the games against unranked teams we lost to or tied?

I agree with your last sentence and I think that is all that needs to be said then look forward. What is done is done. All we know is where Riley is starting at. That is all the BYU game showed us. We are a team in the first game of this year that is very even with BYU. Now, none of us know where we will go from here and I am very optimistic about where we have the chance of going.

If you divorce you wife because she won't have sex with you for the last 7 years and you meet a new woman who seems to have the potential to be very nice but she doesn't put out on the first date, do you get all pissed off because once again you didn't get any and go home and cry in your beer because your wife was so horrible you didn't get any sex for 7 years? No, you acknowledge it would have been nice and look forward to the future possibilities.

• Fire 2

1986 LSU = lost 30-15.

1988 Miami = lost 23-3

1989 FSU = lost 41-17

1990 GT = lost 45-21

1991 Miami - lost 22-0

Thanks for the correction. I saw an "L" in the column and I made the mistake. That was for the OU game right above the LSU game. Yes, we lost to NC contenders. But, did you also notice in my lists the games against unranked teams we lost to or tied?

I agree with your last sentence and I think that is all that needs to be said then look forward. What is done is done. All we know is where Riley is starting at. That is all the BYU game showed us. We are a team in the first game of this year that is very even with BYU. Now, none of us know where we will go from here and I am very optimistic about where we have the chance of going.

If you divorce you wife because she won't have sex with you for the last 7 years and you meet a new woman who seems to have the potential to be very nice but she doesn't put out on the first date, do you get all pissed off because once again you didn't get any and go home and cry in your beer because your wife was so horrible you didn't get any sex for 7 years? No, you acknowledge it would have been nice and look forward to the future possibilities.

That is classic chuckleshuffle

That sums up my feelings very well. It only took 1 game under Riley for NU to experience a loss that has happened for the past 10-15 (almost 20) years. That's what is concerning, and that is really the biggest thing that Riley has to change.

So coming back after being down 10 at half time and being in position to the win the game with a team in their first year of a new offensive scheme and new defensive scheme against some decent competition that also is playing well is meaningless? (I'd really like to hear an answer on this, because that was my biggest take away from the game, I refuse to lump this loss in with 2012 Big Ten championship game, and 2006 Texas, as well as all of those other ones)

So coming back after being down 10 at half time and being in position to the win the game with a team in their first year of a new offensive scheme and new defensive scheme against some decent competition that also is playing well is meaningless? (I'd really like to hear an answer on this, because that was my biggest take away from the game, I refuse to lump this loss in with 2012 Big Ten championship game, and 2006 Texas, as well as all of those other ones)

I didn't say the come back was meaningless. But, Bo's teams also had some decent comebacks in his tenure. Let's not like every time NU got behind under Bo, they folded up the tents. Also, BYU was a couple plays from being ahead by 3 TD's. They missed plays that NU had no bearing on.

Where my biggest concern came in, was even after the comeback (which did impress me), was the way the 4th quarter unfolded. When I was watching the 4th quarter, I thought "Oh crap, Riley is going to go all NFL on us". I do give Langsdorf/Riley credit for coming up with that nice pass play call to Brandon Reilly that took NU down to the BYU 30. That big gain should have sewn up the game. But, the clock was mismanaged when the ball was snapped with a number of seconds left on the clock, the 3rd down fly-sweep to the short side was a terrible play call, and Riley should have wound the play clock down to zero and called a timeout before Brown attempted the FG (please don't tell me he would have been icing his own kicker). All of that stuff happened to create a situation that left the door open for BYU.

• Fire 2

I didn't say the come back was meaningless. But, Bo's teams also had some decent comebacks in his tenure. Let's not like every time NU got behind under Bo, they folded up the tents. Also, BYU was a couple plays from being ahead by 3 TD's. They missed plays that NU had no bearing on.

Where my biggest concern came in, was even after the comeback (which did impress me), was the way the 4th quarter unfolded. When I was watching the 4th quarter, I thought "Oh crap, Riley is going to go all NFL on us". I do give Langsdorf/Riley credit for coming up with that nice pass play call to Brandon Reilly that took NU down to the BYU 30. That big gain should have sewn up the game. But, the clock was mismanaged when the ball was snapped with a number of seconds left on the clock, the 3rd down fly-sweep to the short side was a terrible play call, and Riley should have wound the play clock down to zero and called a timeout before Brown attempted the FG (please don't tell me he would have been icing his own kicker). All of that stuff happened to create a situation that left the door open for BYU.

#Roasted