NU comes up short in big situations

That sums up my feelings very well. It only took 1 game under Riley for NU to experience a loss that has happened for the past 10-15 (almost 20) years. That's what is concerning, and that is really the biggest thing that Riley has to change.

So coming back after being down 10 at half time and being in position to the win the game with a team in their first year of a new offensive scheme and new defensive scheme against some decent competition that also is playing well is meaningless? (I'd really like to hear an answer on this, because that was my biggest take away from the game, I refuse to lump this loss in with 2012 Big Ten championship game, and 2006 Texas, as well as all of those other ones)

I didn't say the come back was meaningless. But, Bo's teams also had some decent comebacks in his tenure. Let's not like every time NU got behind under Bo, they folded up the tents. Also, BYU was a couple plays from being ahead by 3 TD's. They missed plays that NU had no bearing on.

Where my biggest concern came in, was even after the comeback (which did impress me), was the way the 4th quarter unfolded. When I was watching the 4th quarter, I thought "Oh crap, Riley is going to go all NFL on us". I do give Langsdorf/Riley credit for coming up with that nice pass play call to Brandon Reilly that took NU down to the BYU 30. That big gain should have sewn up the game. But, the clock was mismanaged when the ball was snapped with a number of seconds left on the clock, the 3rd down fly-sweep to the short side was a terrible play call, and Riley should have wound the play clock down to zero and called a timeout before Brown attempted the FG (please don't tell me he would have been icing his own kicker). All of that stuff happened to create a situation that left the door open for BYU.

So your concern is with game management. Which is understandable. I was actually impressed by the fact that we still had timeouts left. But why not start a thread regarding game management? Which, I think is better than starting one that generally lumps this loss with all the other ones?

That sums up my feelings very well. It only took 1 game under Riley for NU to experience a loss that has happened for the past 10-15 (almost 20) years. That's what is concerning, and that is really the biggest thing that Riley has to change.

So coming back after being down 10 at half time and being in position to the win the game with a team in their first year of a new offensive scheme and new defensive scheme against some decent competition that also is playing well is meaningless? (I'd really like to hear an answer on this, because that was my biggest take away from the game, I refuse to lump this loss in with 2012 Big Ten championship game, and 2006 Texas, as well as all of those other ones)

I didn't say the come back was meaningless. But, Bo's teams also had some decent comebacks in his tenure. Let's not like every time NU got behind under Bo, they folded up the tents. Also, BYU was a couple plays from being ahead by 3 TD's. They missed plays that NU had no bearing on.

Where my biggest concern came in, was even after the comeback (which did impress me), was the way the 4th quarter unfolded. When I was watching the 4th quarter, I thought "Oh crap, Riley is going to go all NFL on us". I do give Langsdorf/Riley credit for coming up with that nice pass play call to Brandon Reilly that took NU down to the BYU 30. That big gain should have sewn up the game. But, the clock was mismanaged when the ball was snapped with a number of seconds left on the clock, the 3rd down fly-sweep to the short side was a terrible play call, and Riley should have wound the play clock down to zero and called a timeout before Brown attempted the FG (please don't tell me he would have been icing his own kicker). All of that stuff happened to create a situation that left the door open for BYU.

So your concern is with game management. Which is understandable. I was actually impressed by the fact that we still had timeouts left. But why not start a thread regarding game management? Which, I think is better than starting one that generally lumps this loss with all the other ones?

Game management was just one reason that NU lost. Here are the negatives that I saw from the game: poor O-line play, poor running game (other than jet sweeps), too many penalties, terrible D in the first half (although adjustments were made in the 2nd half), poor game management (from a VETERAN coaching staff), no pass rush generated.

Game management was just one reason that NU lost. Here are the negatives that I saw from the game: poor O-line play, poor running game (other than jet sweeps), too many penalties, terrible D in the first half (although adjustments were made in the 2nd half), poor game management (from a VETERAN coaching staff), no pass rush generated.

You missed two missed kicks, too.

You missed two missed kicks, too.

I wasn't down on Brown as much as others. Yes, I would have liked the FG's to be made, but it's not something the coaches can "control". Either the kicker makes it or misses it. Although, the coaches did talk about Brown struggling from the right hash-mark. Then on the last 3rd down play, the coaches called a play to the right side on 3rd down, so that Brown was forced to kick from the right hash on 4th down.

I wasn't down on Brown as much as others. Yes, I would have liked the FG's to be made, but it's not something the coaches can "control". Either the kicker makes it or misses it. Although, the coaches did talk about Brown struggling from the right hash-mark. Then on the last 3rd down play, the coaches called a play to the right side on 3rd down, so that Brown was forced to kick from the right hash on 4th down.

I'm always down on kickers. They have one job. Ever since 1994 Orange Bowl. Call me bitter.

• Fire 1

Despite this being a mostly seasoned coaching staff, anyone believe that maybe the "moment" was too big for the staff? I know some of these guys coached in the NFL, but having awe/reference of a place like NU (as some of the staff indicated) perhaps caused some tentative game management(?).

That's a great point!! If Riley and his staff make those mistakes in Corevallis, there is a write-up in the paper the next day. When it happens in Lincoln, NU fans all across the world have their days ruined by the loss, and then it turns into days and weeks of breakdowns by countless coaches sitting on the couch.

Despite this being a mostly seasoned coaching staff, anyone believe that maybe the "moment" was too big for the staff? I know some of these guys coached in the NFL, but having awe/reference of a place like NU (as some of the staff indicated) perhaps caused some tentative game management(?).

That is interesting...I don't think so.