Prepping For "Nebraska Week": Miami's Expectations

NUance

Prepping For "Nebraska Week" and Expectations

By NOVAcane  @emdegee89 on Sep 15, 2015, 9:05p

<snip>

After FAU last week, Canes fans are "circling the wagons" as Chris Berman would say. Miami cruised the first week of the season against 1AA opponent Bethune-Cookman but struggled in the first half against the FAU Owls last week until putting on the jets in the second half for a comfortable 20+ point victory. Now with Nebraska coming to town the fan base has a number of emotions coming to ahead.
The first emotion is probably a sense of uneasiness. If the Canes come out against the Cornhuskers like they did initially against the Owls then the game will be a bludgeoning, simple as that. Make no mistake, the Cornhuskers are a very well coached team and although they don't have the personnel to run what coach Mike Riley prefers (west coast system) they will put up points as they did last week.
Sounds like there is some trepidation among Canes fans. Too.
I hope it's justified.

I have no idea how this game goes, I like what I have seen so far from the team and the coaching staff. Miami is always going to compete athletically with anyone in the country, but it is only when they get good coaching do those athletes really become a team.

I watched some of Miami's game vs. FAU and wasn't overly impressed, they may have just been flat for the game or FAU may be better than I think they are or Miami may not be that good. It was probably a little of all three.

I just like the demeanor of the team. I like the way MR carries himself on the sideline I like the looseness/confidence I see from the team. I just don't know if that translates to a win against Miami. I think it will. I think NU will be able to put up some points on their defense. I think the key defensively is shutting down their run game. Keep Miami under 100 rushing and we win the game. I say something like 31-21 Nebraska.

• Fire 2

I think we win this game and look better than some people outside Nebraska expect us to look. Yes, I'm a complete homer/scarlet glasses kind of guy.

Seriously though, If the team continues to improve off of last week, I don't see why we shouldn't win by two TDs. The main area of concern for me is our D backfield and there have been some comments out of Lincoln this week indicating there may be solutions on the way. If we can do that while maintaining our good run defense, this game looks like a W.

I also like the ability of our coaches to get the team in the right mindset and maintain that throughout the game. I don't expect to see panic or melt downs on the field. If we lose, it's because Miami simply played better than us. That's obviously possible. But, I don't expect it.

I think we see a sloppy first half from both sqauds. Whoever comes out crisper after the half wins the game, I think it's gonna be us.

That's possible.

However, I would add, I think our offense will look good the first one or two drives. If it is sloppy, it will be after that.

Why, If I may ask. NU hasn't come out of the gate in its first 2 games and looked sloppy. The offense has looked really crisp. I know it is a small sample size, but I see no indication that will happen.

I think we see a sloppy first half from both sqauds. Whoever comes out crisper after the half wins the game, I think it's gonna be us.

That's possible.

However, I would add, I think our offense will look good the first one or two drives. If it is sloppy, it will be after that.

Why, If I may ask. NU hasn't come out of the gate in its first 2 games and looked sloppy. The offense has looked really crisp. I know it is a small sample size, but I see no indication that will happen.

FYI....if this question is towards me, I suggest asking 1995.

I believe they will look crisp at the start of the game. In fact, I think they will look pretty crisp throughout the game. My comment was....IF they (at some point) look sloppy, it will be after the first one or two series.

If the OL can get some push especially early, we'll be in great shape. If they play like they did against BYU, we're in trouble. Defensively, we need the LBs to finally show up for a game.

What about the linebacker play has looked so bad to you? I think they have played pretty well all things considered.

That's possible.

FYI....if this question is towards me, I suggest asking 1995.

I believe they will look crisp at the start of the game. In fact, I think they will look pretty crisp throughout the game. My comment was....IF they (at some point) look sloppy, it will be after the first one or two series.

This is their first road game, expect some sloppy play.

This is Miami's first true test, expect them to be a bit sloppy. They looked sloppy against FAU.

We came out from half against BYU much crisper so I think we fix first half mistakes. Golden's Cane's have yet to prove they can consistently fo that.

If the OL can get some push especially early, we'll be in great shape. If they play like they did against BYU, we're in trouble. Defensively, we need the LBs to finally show up for a game.

Yeah, that's true. And it's a big IF. The O-line is the part of the team that concerns me the most. Even more than our LBs or CBs. Even though we have two games under our belt I still can't figure out just how good (or not) our O-line is. This game will go a long ways towards answering that question.

OTOH, the type of offense Langsdorf seems to like to call--combined with Tommy's mobility--will mask a lot of issues on the O-line.