2015 Game 3 “Expert” Picks: Nebraska @ Miami

Saunders

I think this is a game where we play keep away on offense to win. Miami will throw the ball, and do it well. Our pass D ranks near the bottom of the country in just about every statistical category, and we haven't really played a team that can run the ball (or has running backs). We have to win the TOP battle, and limit Miami's drives.

On the positive, this is the third week in a row playing a 3-4 defense, so it should only help our OL and offense overall.

I can totally see us losing. This is offense on offense. Our offense has looked good, although they had some struggles against BYU. Miami may be worse than BYU on defense. They'll need to be, because their offense is multithreat. If we can shut down the run and limit them to low percentage throws, that's one thing. But we have to stop this Yearby guy first and I'm not sure about that.

A high scoring affair with pressure situations...I don't know, might favor the home team. Kaaya has shown poise and the Huskers of late are more familiar with meltdowns than staying calm. However, the coaching edge should go to NU. Let's hope we can put some distance before the 4th quarter.

ABC map:

nu-miami-2015-coverage-map.0.0.png

ABC/ESPN have announced the coverage map for the Huskers game against Miami...and for most of the country, it'll be on ESPN2. ABC will be showing Ohio State and Northern Illinois to most of the country, though areas around Nebraska and Florida will be getting the Huskers and Hurricanes.

http://www.cornnation.com/2015/9/17/9347049/nebraska-vs-miami-2015-coverage-map

Damnit espn! Why would you show the Northern Illinois game in Illinois?? There are way more Husker fans here than Norther Illinois fans. :ahhhhhhhh

Oh, maybe there are some tOSU fans here too. :hmmph

ABC map:

nu-miami-2015-coverage-map.0.0.png

ABC/ESPN have announced the coverage map for the Huskers game against Miami...and for most of the country, it'll be on ESPN2. ABC will be showing Ohio State and Northern Illinois to most of the country, though areas around Nebraska and Florida will be getting the Huskers and Hurricanes.

http://www.cornnation.com/2015/9/17/9347049/nebraska-vs-miami-2015-coverage-map

Yellow = Nebraska on ESPN2

Blue = Nebraska on ABC

I think this is a game where we play keep away on offense to win.

This is a good point that is being overlooked a bit when people are talking about Kaaya putting up ridiculous numbers.

I could be wrong and maybe he torches us, but I just don't see it. Our offense has shown the ability to sustain drives. Kaaya won't have as many opportunities in my opinion.

Also, when looking at Kaay's numbers last year, people need to look at the YAC like I mentioned above. There we a lot of bad angles, and some very poor tackling that attributed to many of those passing yards for Kaaya.

Combine less time of possession, better angles and tackling, and the likelihood of bringing more blitzes and pressure on Kaaya, and I don't see him having a HUGE day. Maybe somewhere right around what he's been averaging so far.

Combine less time of possession, better angles and tackling, and the likelihood of bringing more blitzes and pressure on Kaaya, and I don't see him having a HUGE day. Maybe somewhere right around what he's been averaging so far.

I'd say the positive of those things is countered by the negative of a worse pass defense overall, and they're essentially a wash imo.

• Fire 1

https://twitter.com/mitchsherman/status/644519962715930628

24.4% win percentage according to ESPN's FPI. (40.1% versus Illinois chuckleshuffle)

If you would've told me we had a 40% chance to beat Illinois i would have called you crazy. Not sure what the FPI takes into account but something can't be right if they actually think Illinois has a 60% chance to beat us. Even if it is in Champaign

Illinois probably be 70% chance to beat us after they upset North Carolina..

I'd say the positive of those things is countered by the negative of a worse pass defense overall, and they're essentially a wash imo.

I just feel like we are better than we have shown to be.

Taysom Hill could/would destroy anybody.

Southern Alabama just had that one damn guy that was really good, and man that QB put those deep balls on the money. Those were tough throws. Even then, if Davie get's his hands up, he knocks them down or shields the receiver in the least.

Long story short, not to derail things, but I think we step things up a bit defensively and guys get into their rhythm a little bit better in this third game of the year, that includes the front four.

Maybe this is hope and my Big Red Sunglasses on.

Its gonna be a good game.

Southern Alabama just had that one damn guy that was really good, and man that QB put those deep balls on the money. Those were tough throws. Even then, if Davie get's his hands up, he knocks them down or shields the receiver in the least.

Long story short, not to derail things, but I think we step things up a bit defensively and guys get into their rhythm a little bit better in this third game of the year, that includes the front four.

I hope so, but as long as I can remember being on this board, we've done this a lot, where we convince ourselves certain things (that we haven't actually seen) are true about our team while kind of sweeping any nuance or unrealized potential of our opponent under the rug, and then we end up shocked that somehow we could lose.

The number of times, "I can't believe people are actually picking us to lose this game" has been followed by "God we are awful we'll be lucky to make it to a bowl game" has been way way way too high here for the last 10 years haha. I keep my hopes high with my expectations low.

• Fire 2

I hope so, but as long as I can remember being on this board, we've done this a lot, where we convince ourselves certain things (that we haven't actually seen) are true about our team while kind of sweeping any nuance or unrealized potential of our opponent under the rug, and then we end up shocked that somehow we could lose.

The number of times, "I can't believe people are actually picking us to lose this game" has been followed by "God we are awful we'll be lucky to make it to a bowl game" has been way way way too high here for the last 10 years haha. I keep my hopes high with my expectations low.

Yeah, you're not wrong. Hard to disagree. I'll give it a little bit longer in the season and maybe a few let downs in that span before I approach the games with anything but excitement and hope.

Trust me, I totally understand the cautious optimism and reigning in the emotions, but I have a hard time doing that. I even let Pelinis teams fool me and I have far more confidence in this staff than I did with his.

I think this is a game where we play keep away on offense to win.

This is a good point that is being overlooked a bit when people are talking about Kaaya putting up ridiculous numbers.

I could be wrong and maybe he torches us, but I just don't see it. Our offense has shown the ability to sustain drives. Kaaya won't have as many opportunities in my opinion.

Also, when looking at Kaay's numbers last year, people need to look at the YAC like I mentioned above. There we a lot of bad angles, and some very poor tackling that attributed to many of those passing yards for Kaaya.

Makes me remember the Texas Tech game in 2008. The game where we had the ball for 40 minutes, and Tech had it for 19 minutes.

If we could do that and win the game I would love it!

24.4% win percentage according to ESPN's FPI. (40.1% versus Illinois chuckleshuffle)

If you would've told me we had a 40% chance to beat Illinois i would have called you crazy. Not sure what the FPI takes into account but something can't be right if they actually think Illinois has a 60% chance to beat us. Even if it is in Champaign

Illinois's offense will likely give Nebraska troubles, especially if their pass defense doesn't improve.