Are you suprised?

Highway6

Most Nebraska fans agree that it was time for Bo to go.

Agreed.

I think Bo was the first to decide he wasn't going to be coaching here in 2015, so there never was any choice between keeping Pelini or firing him. Pelini wasn't going to quit (and lose a couple of million) and he wasn't going to let Eichorst and the Regents keep him in Nebraska.

So I don't think anyone made a mistake in firing Pelini. Pelini left Eichorst with no other choice. If knocking on Regents' doors wouldn't have done it, Pelini would have done something even more egregious to press the issue. It sucks for Nebraska because Pelini just got a raise and an extension, but that's on the people who gave it to him and didn't see the handwriting on the wall.

So it isn't (and never was) about keeping Pelini. Eichorst should have had a viable Plan B in his pocket for the last three years. That is what his job is, for the most part. We can agree or disagree on whether Eichorst's Plan B justifies what we pay him, but I think Eichorst's Plan A is taking Alvarez' place in Wisconsin when he retires, so I think Eichorst is just milking the clock here in Lincoln until he can get his cheese curds fresh enought that they squeak. (It's a Wisconsin thing; The relatives become traumatized if you buy cheese curds in a store, because they aren't fresh enough to squeak when you bite into them.)

So the question is, "Was the hiring of Mike Riley a credible plan to get Nebraska past nine wins?" We will see.

This is so right, and so reasonable, that I can't fathom why the other 97 posts I've seen from you in the past 48 hours have been so... out there.

We won't know if Riley & Co. were the correct hire until a couple of years down the road. But in the meantime, while we're figuring it out, even with reasonable and measured criticism, wouldn't it be better to relax and just be Husker fans for a while, with no preconceived notions, no expectations, just a simple enjoyment of each game and the joy of being a fan of this team?

First off, I think both these posts are spot on. Bo wasn't going to be coaching here this year no matter what. And yes, if you want to be a good fan and get as much enjoyment out of the season as possible, you should just sit back and enjoy the ride. I mean, that's all you can really hope to do anyway. Taking it a bit further, you also shouldn't be upset if everybody else doesn't agree to sit quietly by your side enjoying the ride with you.

Having said that, I'm personally fed up. The Riley hire was not the correct hire. We should have learned this lesson 11 years ago. We have a bunch of unqualified pencil pushers running the program and this is where it gets you. I will be a happy ridealong fan when the program is once again manned by competent Husker football minds. It may never happen, and I am at peace with that. It was a good ride while it lasted.

• Fire 1

Most Nebraska fans agree that it was time for Bo to go.

Agreed.

I think Bo was the first to decide he wasn't going to be coaching here in 2015, so there never was any choice between keeping Pelini or firing him. Pelini wasn't going to quit (and lose a couple of million) and he wasn't going to let Eichorst and the Regents keep him in Nebraska.

So I don't think anyone made a mistake in firing Pelini. Pelini left Eichorst with no other choice. If knocking on Regents' doors wouldn't have done it, Pelini would have done something even more egregious to press the issue. It sucks for Nebraska because Pelini just got a raise and an extension, but that's on the people who gave it to him and didn't see the handwriting on the wall.

So it isn't (and never was) about keeping Pelini. Eichorst should have had a viable Plan B in his pocket for the last three years. That is what his job is, for the most part. We can agree or disagree on whether Eichorst's Plan B justifies what we pay him, but I think Eichorst's Plan A is taking Alvarez' place in Wisconsin when he retires, so I think Eichorst is just milking the clock here in Lincoln until he can get his cheese curds fresh enought that they squeak. (It's a Wisconsin thing; The relatives become traumatized if you buy cheese curds in a store, because they aren't fresh enough to squeak when you bite into them.)

So the question is, "Was the hiring of Mike Riley a credible plan to get Nebraska past nine wins?" We will see.

Osborne's "departure" played a big role with Pelini.

I think part of the problem is that stopping the run is great BUT passing is no longer a 50/50 crap shoot. Heck I bet the % of passes that are connected under 10 yards is probably close to 75%...so even if you are shutting down the run it is still really easy for a team to complete a lot of short passes which start to add up.

You have to be good at both. You just do

When you shut down the run and force teams to pass, then your front 7 can pin their ears back and really go after the qb and disrupt his play. When that happens, defenses rule the field and it's a ton of fun to watch when it's your team doing the ruling. :)

• Fire 1

Weren't people saying they would rather have a few 6-8 win seasons if it meant having a few championship seasons? Now it's a coach has to win at least 9 in his first year, otherwise he fails?

I did a look over the summer at the coaches in the top 25 at the end of the year, and around 80-85% of them matched or exceeded their predecessors records the prior year. So while he doesn't have to win 9 games in year one, statistically, he's got a better chance of succeeding if he does.