D-Line

It's a different game than what I grew up with. I'm curious how the 80's -90's defensive lines would do with the new rules and crazy quick passing schemes? I have to give equal blame to the DB's because it all works together;...if the receivers aren't given a huge cushion and always out-running the DB's, you see d-linemen getting to the QB much more or at least pressuring and altering passes. I've always been a big fan of tight coverage and the secondary facing the ball even if you get burned sometimes. I think a lot of it though is really a talent issue, Jimmies just naturally win against the receiver and make the coach look good.

They Qbs we've face, particular Miami and BYU, are pretty darn good. It's tough to get sacks or hit the QB when they're in shotgun 4 yards back, take the snap, drop a few steps and release in 3 or 4 seconds. I don't recall who on the board pointed something out, but said it would help if the DBs did some bumping at the line.

Other than that, we do need to see a bit more speed from our rush ends. Less power, more quickness and burst. That too would make a difference.

They Qbs we've face, particular Miami and BYU, are pretty darn good. It's tough to get sacks or hit the QB when they're in shotgun 4 yards back, take the snap, drop a few steps and release in 3 or 4 seconds. I don't recall who on the board pointed something out, but said it would help if the DBs did some bumping at the line.

Other than that, we do need to see a bit more speed from our rush ends. Less power, more quickness and burst. That too would make a difference.

I agree, the line does need to improve but these QB's are getting the ball out quickly, I had mentioned that improved coverage would help but also bumping at the line would be a bonus.

So basically, we're getting no pass rush coupled with a coverage scheme from our DBs that clearly needs rethought. That's an awful, awful combination.

Don't be surprised to see us continue to get shredded until one of those two things changes.

Even then, it's not like we're magically going to get more talented at either spot THIS YEAR. I think our best bet is adjusting some things in how we cover while hoping the DBs become more comfortable in this system, and more effective blitzing.

Benning agrees that perhaps we should just give GM a look at DT. He's giving us nothing useful right now at DE. EVen if we do, we're still pretty hosed at the other DE spot across from Freedom. If he develops, it should help.