Coaching or Talent - which is more responsible

The regression of the secondary is pretty mind boggling

It's really not. It's what happens when you play almost exclusively man-to-man defense all game and do not have a pass rush.

Actually it quite is. Its not like the guys have been sitting in zones the last seven years. Davie, the best cover man last year hands down,its struggling mightily. Lbs that had their man principles last year are terrible. Kalu in three nickel played extremely well last fall as a frosh is looking like he is lost in coverages a lot.

Destroyed of the line, and lack of physicslut are massive differences from the past.

Falls on banker to provide help, which he said he could quickly adjust to this week, and he really hasn't.

Again the secondary struggles are dumbfounding technique and scheme wise.

• Fire 2

Both.

Coaching. Defense has lots of issues. O line and D line look poorly coached as well.

Talent. Ameer carried this game last year. We have no one of his caliber on offense. Gregory is sorely missed as there is no pressure on the Qb. We lost our best players on both sides of the ball.

Now we have talent for sure...but we have some obvious holes to and they exploited them. Our Pass rushing is non existent. Vincent Valentine was not in the game to give us that push that we needed in the middle. We were left with Williams and Collins. McMullen has consistently underachieved as an end and has failed to maintain a weight that would be productive for his position. Freedom on the other side is the backup to injured Gangwish. Our linebacker position...obviously that has been discussed ad nauseum here. Not only are we lacking depth we've got guys that are hurt too like Bando. So they aren't 100%. Our DB's has been the surprising issue that many of us didn't expect to be an issue. But rather than stick with the same sh#t over and over, Banker made an adjustment and pulled Davies out the game and adjusted the scheme. As a result only 16 points were scored in the last 3 quarters ignoring the fact that Lewis put Miami into field goal position in OT.

• Fire 1

It's coaching. All day it's coaching. Tommy throws off his back foot and can't make it past his first read.

We had Miami tired, you need to piss pound the run with Cross. Fundamentals aren't there.

This is funny. Yeah, I'm sure the coaches are telling him to throw off his back foot and to not go past his first read. Must be coaching. Lol.

The results don't lie. Neither does the eye test.

Tommy is fighter and warrior. He has heart for miles and I love him for it. However, his decision making and technique isn't there. These coaches either need to establish the run game or change to a QB that can go through progression.

It's hard to establish a run game with an OL that can't run block and a RB in Newby that likes to hesitate to watch holes open up instead of just running through them.

Both.

Coaching...pass D is a joke. I'm a give em a chance guy typically but I've already tipped into the Banker is probably a failure camp.

Players...wr too thin, rb no stud so far, DE OMG, CB OMG, injuries and suspensions hurt badly most positions from day one.

QB...Tommy really needs to be COACHED OVER AND OVER to clean up his terrible pocket decisions (primarily waiting too long then turning and running backwards to 15 yards behind the los until the usual bad result occurs).

I disagree about Tommy. Tommy has been the least of our problems today. He's made mistakes, but he's also been one of the few bright spots throughout the game. It's pretty apparent that the scheme coming into this game was fundamentally flawed.

Agreed about the defensive coaching; awful from start to finish. Banker has a very limited competence, obviously.

You obviously don't know what you are looking at when it comes to defensive coaching. If you want to question Davies starting and being put on an island, that is fine. But the adjustments after that were something that we never saw under Little Bo Bleep and if you couldn't tell how much more speed Miami had than NU did, then there is no help for you.

It's coaching. All day it's coaching. Tommy throws off his back foot and can't make it past his first read.

We had Miami tired, you need to piss pound the run with Cross. Fundamentals aren't there.

This is funny. Yeah, I'm sure the coaches are telling him to throw off his back foot and to not go past his first read. Must be coaching. Lol.

Tommy is fighter and warrior. He has heart for miles and I love him for it. However, his decision making and technique isn't there. These coaches either need to establish the run game or change to a QB that can go through progression.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I felt Tommy played fairly well today. Good throws and decision-making for the most part. If his last pass wasn't under thrown, would you be blaming his decision making?

I hope we see more runs from him. Utilize his strengths more.

I agree with both your points, if that makes any sense. If that last pass is completed and the D holds, then we are saying what a great comeback Tommy led. But, by the same token, he seems to make one or two bad throws/decisions to throw whatever per game. The pick at the end of the half was a killer too. Terribly thrown ball, I thought.

Some of this sounds like the same stuff we said 11 years ago with Joe Dailey at QB under Callahan's system. I doubt we see more designed run plays for him as I don't think it fits the Riley offense

Let me first say, there are some coaches that I am extremely skeptical of. To this day, I still do not like the hires of Banker, Stewart, Hughes and Read. And the results so far do not make me change my mind in any way. It only reinforces my original thoughts.

With that said - the larger problems on this team are absolutely talent related. Bo got a full cupboard when he came in here. He got Amukamara, Suh, Dennard, Helu, Henery, Asante, Crick, Hagg, etc,. Riley got into the kitchen and the cupboards had been ripped off the wall. Recruiting at certain positions have been grossly overlooked, which has allowed the depth to be non-existent. Evaluations of certain recruits have been horribly missed. And not forcing players to move on who are obviously not panning out has been a horrible mistake.

• Fire 6
If his last pass wasn't under thrown, would you be blaming his decision making?

You realize that was interception number three, don't you?

Interception #1 was in the red zone, and the only fluke with interception #2 is that neither of the two defensive backs made a clean pick before they knocked each other down and it fell in the guy's lap. Couple those with 46% passing, and I don't think Frazier's decision making warrants anything more than a D+ for this game.

Tommy played both hero and goat in this game. That first pick, that was a chance to even it up but instead probably should have sunk the game. The last pick did lose the game and was a terrible throw.

But in the second half, he threw four touchdowns. We were down 23 points and needed two 2-pt conversions in addition to three scores. He got 'em all.

Let me first say, there are some coaches that I am extremely skeptical of. To this day, I still do not like the hires of Banker, Stewart, Hughes and Read. And the results so far do not make me change my mind in any way. It only reinforces my original thoughts.

With that said - the larger problems on this team are absolutely talent related. Bo got a full cupboard when he came in here. He got Amukamara, Suh, Dennard, Helu, Henery, Asante, Crick, Hagg, etc,. Riley got into the kitchen and the cupboards had been ripped off the wall. Recruiting at certain positions have been grossly overlooked, which has allowed the depth to be non-existent. Evaluations of certain recruits have been horribly missed. And not forcing players to move on who are obviously not panning out has been a horrible mistake.

The fact that we don't have a next man up is exactly why Pelini's team failed, and why we have to sort of pick our poison against the run and pass this year.

A good program has the next man, we did not recruit like a good program under Bo. We had good talent, but we never had a complete roster, and we're going to feel the effects of that for a season or two.

We had a chance today, we coulda shoulda won. We have some good players that could play at a lot of other top programs, but there is really no question in my mind that Yearby was the best RB on the field today. And Kaaya over TA - although that might be a push with the way TA played down the stretch. And Miami's WRs across the board are clearly bigger and more athletic than ours (or at least in comparison to our DBs - either way its not a favorable comparison). Our LB depth talent was maybe the biggest issue of the day from my view, and that has nothing to do with scheme. We were able to replace Davie, but there is really no other position on D that we can do that without a clear talent drop-off... Not to say Banker is the right or wrong guy because IDK yet, but most of that is on talent/recruiting, not his scheme.

• Fire 2

If his last pass wasn't under thrown, would you be blaming his decision making?

You realize that was interception number three, don't you?

Interception #1 was in the red zone, and the only fluke with interception #2 is that neither of the two defensive backs made a clean pick before they knocked each other down and it fell in the guy's lap. Couple those with 46% passing, and I don't think Frazier's decision making warrants anything more than a D+ for this game.

In post game, Morgan took blame for the first INT in the red zone. Receivers running poor routes happens, especially with a true frosh. The 2nd INT was TA just getting picked when he's trying to lead a crazy come back. The last INT was a terrible pick, but I saw more good from TA than bad. He had no help out there today. He made a lot of plays with his legs, suffered a lot of drops early in the game, and he led a valiant come back.

IMO, he was exhausted when it got to OT. It was a 4 hour plus game, TA just didn't see the CB float back into coverage and he under threw the ball.

• Fire 1

Yeah, didn't y'all know? Darlington definitely would have won the game for us! Just as easy as putting in the 3rd string quarterback.

Because Tommy won it for us? Look the point is, Tommy is not an efficient and reliable option. We have too many good running backs doing nothing. What I saw from Darlington in the spring game is someone who can manage the game and make the throws needed.

Tommy didn't lose the game. I place the blame on the Coaches. But, is Tommy the future or not?

I Don't know. Maybe I'm just venting frustration.

Yeah, didn't y'all know? Darlington definitely would have won the game for us! Just as easy as putting in the 3rd string quarterback.
Because Tommy won it for us? Look the point is, Tommy is not an efficient and reliable option. We have too many good running backs doing nothing. What I saw from Darlington in the spring game is someone who can manage the game and make the throws needed.

Tommy didn't lose the game. I place the blame on the Coaches. But, is Tommy the future or not?

I Don't know. Maybe I'm just venting frustration.

Frankly, Tommy is the only D-1 caliber QB on the roster. O'Brien might be able to push him a bit next year, but that's tough for a true frosh. It will take a big injury for someone other than Tommy to be the starter before 2017.