Coaching or Talent - which is more responsible

Obviously it is a combination of both, but which of those two categories is mainly responsible for our current performance issues in the games so far this year?

There have been a lot of defensive plays where it looks like the play call was good, and the players were in good position, they just didn't have the physical capabilities to make the play. Tommy taking a 20 yard sack is on him, when a true sophomore like Kaaya can have the presence of mind to throw it away . After this long, having Lewis make consistent huge penalties has to be on him, not coaching.

On the other hand, there are some play calls, especially on offense, that make you go???????? Or is this just a pain of adapting to a new system. When we see an older player struggling, we often say something like "let's just bite the bullet and get the new guy in there, he's our future". Is this a case where we say "It's a new offensive scheme, rather than run things like we always have in the past, do we just bite the bullet and forge ahead with the full implementation of the new schemes, since it is our future."

Help me out, which is effecting us most right now, coaching (either newness or method) or talent level?

Coaching, and anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

I say both. The team gets down a few scores and the rest of the team seems to pout. The first quarter rests solely on the coaching for leaving Davies out there for the 3rd game in a row to get roasted not one, not twice, but 3 times in a row. Once Miami got up, the rest of the team just went to crap. This defense has no heart, no pass rush and today they've literally gone back to Bo Pelini type tackling. I'm sorry, TA is far to inconsistent to be a Div 1 QB. He forces too many throws and today the receivers did not help him. I certainly hope O'Brien is a better QB in terms of intelligence and passing ability.

Talent. Today would have looked a lot different with Abdullah, Bell, and Gregory on the field regardless of whether Riley or Bo was doing the coaching.

With a new system and the loss of key players, I figured this game for an ugly loss all summer--so great to be right. Now if only I could be right about them going 7-1 in Big Ten play...

Sigh.

This is coaching and talent. Offensively the coaches don't have the players they need to execute their comfort zone of an offense....see running qb as a prime example. Defensively it's coaching, pride yourself on stopping the run or pass first (see pelini's secondary success for reference). Then when you can do that, recruit to the weaknesses. What doomed pelini's was he couldn't be great at both because he couldn't get the running game stopped.

Both.

Coaching...pass D is a joke. I'm a give em a chance guy typically but I've already tipped into the Banker is probably a failure camp.

Players...wr too thin, rb no stud so far, DE OMG, CB OMG, injuries and suspensions hurt badly most positions from day one.

QB...Tommy really needs to be COACHED OVER AND OVER to clean up his terrible pocket decisions (primarily waiting too long then turning and running backwards to 15 yards behind the los until the usual bad result occurs).

Talent. Today would have looked a lot different with Abdullah, Bell, and Gregory on the field regardless of whether Riley or Bo was doing the coaching.

With a new system and the loss of key players, I figured this game for an ugly loss all summer--so great to be right. Now if only I could be right about them going 7-1 in Big Ten play...

Sigh.

Yeah, it is terrifying to think of Flowers, Dorsett, Perryman, Johnson and Walford versus this Riley team.