Does Nebraska need a niche?

SnowBigRed

I want to preface this question by saying I liked the Riley hire, and still do. I think he will be fine in the long run.

My question is more about Nebraska and its place in today's CFB landscape. Can Nebraska become consistently nationally relevant (top 10-15 year in and year out) by doing the same thing as everyone else? Nebraska wants that elite passing QB with pinpoint accuracy and a cannon of an arm. So does everybody else. NU wants 6'4" receivers that run like gazelles and could catch a golf ball off the tee. So does everybody else. NU wants 6'7" 325 lb tackles and 6'4" 300+ lb G/C. So does everybody else.

Here's my point. When NU was good to dominant, they didn't recruit the same type of guys as everybody else. If there was one great option QB in the country, Nebraska could get him cause nobody else wanted him. They Recruited undersized linemen that were athletic enough to pull and trap and tough as nails that everybody else viewed as maybe too small. They had a system that was unique that the staff knew inside and out and recruited and developed to it. Defense was somewhat similar, they just got tougher and faster because they had to get beat on everyday by the offense.

I'm not saying that Nebraska needs to go back to the option, I'm more asking, can Nebraska be consistently top flight by doing the same thing as everybody else?

Sorry for the long post.

• Fire 4

This season, I think we need to abandon the run game, except for DPE on the jet/counter/play action series. We really should be slinging it 60-70 times a game, because that seems to be to only way we can consistently move the ball and score points. We'll get QB's that can do that, I think, and there are plenty of receivers to choose from, though Westerkamp would be hard to replace. Now that I think about it, with Armstrong is becoming a true dual-threat - 300 yds passing a game and an ability to escape the pocket and move the sticks.

I think Air Raid should be our niche, at least for now. Still holding out hope on Riley, but I don't think we'll ever be an effective running team with him on the sidelines, because they want to pass the ball so much. I don't think we'll get the monsters that can both be road-graders and brick walls, but we can get guys that can do one or the other.

Is this the weekly obligatory Paul Johnson thread?

How did I know this was coming.

But no, Not at all. I watched a lot of football yesterday, and for the most part, everybody's offense is the same, with some tweaks. I've just pondered why so few teams are truly unique on offense.

just a joke. Much more than a stab at your comments. I just giggle at the Paul Johnson comments cuz he went 9-4 last year.

But no, Not at all. I watched a lot of football yesterday, and for the most part, everybody's offense is the same, with some tweaks. I've just pondered why so few teams are truly unique on offense.

just a joke. Much more than a stab at your comments. I just giggle at the Paul Johnson comments cuz he went 9-4 last year.

...and won the Orange Bowl, the kind of bowl we haven't been to, well, since we ran the ball like that...

• Fire 1

...and won the Orange Bowl, the kind of bowl we haven't been to, well, since we ran the ball like that...

And 2 SEC teams IIRC......

• Fire 1

I agree. NU has to find an identity and recruit to it. Bo and Wats/Beck was a hybrid O that was a mesh of all the stuff thats out there. We were good at a lot, but great at nothing. When we needed 1 yard in a cloud of dust, no guarantee we would get it..... I see the same thing now.

Riley, a WCO guy, is trying to merge a scheme he know's a lot about with what NU has done the previous 7 years. A system that he, nor his staff have actually implemented..... I agree 100% with your premise. If NU has all of the these tangible recruiting issues i.e. cold, distance, location, etc..... How do we "over come" that and get kids that 20 other spots want with "better" amenities, locale etc..... We don't. That's the reality. Now if we went back to our roots (not triple option as we were not), but to power run with PA passes and an O based upon traps, counters and dives with the option thrown in, you'd have a winner.

Urban stated that he only recruits for a system that is known and shared by his staff. That is why he was able to seamlessly switch in Barrett for Miller and then Jones for Barrett. If the kid doesn't fit his "scheme" regardless of talent or star power, the kid doesn't get looked at. He doesn't recruit situational guys.........

We don't have an identity per Riley (per the announcers yesterday), announcers or fans.... It's hard to recruit for that. We need OL who can pass pro, run block, cut, chip, pull etc..... Hell no one does it all well. That's why a definitive system would help. We get guys who are plug and play.......

Regardless of scheme or identity, it all starts in the trenches. 3 games in, we look exactly like we did under Bo save for 2009/2010. Woefully average and many times inferior to our opponents in the trenches. That needs to be a prime concern for recruiting going forward......

• Fire 3

I think we have to give Riley's staff a chance to implement what it is that they do. Could we run an offense that overpowers understaffed teams and have a better record? Yes, I think we can....and then continue to get beat by any team that counts. Either they can develop a team that can compete with the best or they can't and they'll have to go. Does anyone want to muddle along like we have the last 15 years?

• Fire 1

He went 11-3 last year, and took FSU to the wire to almost win the ACC, Beat UGA, and beat Miss St (By blowout).

They played pretty poorly yesterday in the trenches but they are also replacing all of their skill guys except J. Thomas. (Defense is still suspect at GaTech too)

Not saying Paul Johnson should be the guy, but I like the offense. I like Calhoun at Air Force, I think he should have been the guy especially with what he works with at AF in terms of practice hours and athletes.

Fox Sports had a very nice article about Calhoun back in July and made the comparisons to TO.

• Fire 3

I agree. NU has to find an identity and recruit to it. Bo and Wats/Beck was a hybrid O that was a mesh of all the stuff thats out there. We were good at a lot, but great at nothing. When we needed 1 yard in a cloud of dust, no guarantee we would get it..... I see the same thing now.

Riley, a WCO guy, is trying to merge a scheme he know's a lot about with what NU has done the previous 7 years. A system that he, nor his staff have actually implemented..... I agree 100% with your premise. If NU has all of the these tangible recruiting issues i.e. cold, distance, location, etc..... How do we "over come" that and get kids that 20 other spots want with "better" amenities, locale etc..... We don't. That's the reality. Now if we went back to our roots (not triple option as we were not), but to power run with PA passes and an O based upon traps, counters and dives with the option thrown in, you'd have a winner.

Urban stated that he only recruits for a system that is known and shared by his staff. That is why he was able to seamlessly switch in Barrett for Miller and then Jones for Barrett. If the kid doesn't fit his "scheme" regardless of talent or star power, the kid doesn't get looked at. He doesn't recruit situational guys.........

We don't have an identity per Riley (per the announcers yesterday), announcers or fans.... It's hard to recruit for that. We need OL who can pass pro, run block, cut, chip, pull etc..... Hell no one does it all well. That's why a definitive system would help. We get guys who are plug and play.......

Regardless of scheme or identity, it all starts in the trenches. 3 games in, we look exactly like we did under Bo save for 2009/2010. Woefully average and many times inferior to our opponents in the trenches. That needs to be a prime concern for recruiting going forward......

Agreed. Though it might be too ambitious to expect MR to overhaul a program and create an identity a few games into the season, will he be able to do it here at all? I know he was the wizard of "doing more with less" at Corvallis (a phrase I am tired of hearing) but that will not be enough to be a consistent top 15 power. The reciting piece is huge.

Agreed. Though it might be too ambitious to expect MR to overhaul a program and create an identity a few games into the season, will he be able to do it here at all? I know he was the wizard of "doing more with less" at Corvallis (a phrase I am tired of hearing) but that will not be enough to be a consistent top 15 power. The reciting piece is huge.

Now we have "more" allegedly. When he was hired, I had no idea who he was. I had to google (my fear) to find out who it was. I saw the experienced staff and thought that "quantity equated to quality"... WRONG. I also thought that an experienced staff would equal 1-2 wins. I added this to Bo's records and came up with a 10-11 win season. WRONG. What I should have done was look at his .504 record and add 2 wins to that.......

Doing more with less might mean he gets 8 wins based on his ability as a coach.... That will/would suck

I know you guys are not serious about a coach change three games in, and this is a general comment, not reflective of this coaching staff, or the last.

When I look myself in the mirror and get honest, I would totally love winning 9 games a year running a triple option offense.

There, I said it and feel better now.

• Fire 1