B1G Rivals?

Husker-Joe

We were having this discussion around the dinner table last night, and I was curious what the board thought. As a hypothetical; say Nebraska goes 7-5 but beats Wisconsin and Iowa. How would those wins factor into your overall view of the season?

For me (I witnessed the B1G Championship massacre in Indy), the Wisconsin game has become very important... perhaps even a "season saver".

Well I want to beat Wisconsin and Iowa more than most the other teams. I would throw Northwestern in there as well for being smug. But if we win thise 3 year post a 6-6 record, I would be farly disappointed.

I mean, a win over Nebraska to finish the year 6-6 might be sweet for Iowa. But I expect more from us I guess.

I would agree that there are no rivals that a victory would "save" a poor season overall. Having said that, beating Wisconsin would be salve for some deficiencies. I doubt we make a blip on their rival radar but they have embarrassed us a few times recently and the whole deal with them kind of stealing our thing, uniforms, dominate rushing attack and line play, etc., plus the fact that they can be fairly classless at their house.....well, that all adds up to not liking them very much. So, beating them helps a lot but would in no way make up for a 6 or 7 win season. Might help make 8 wins a little more tolerable.

Can we pump the brakes on the "rival" conversation until Nebraska's been in this conference a while?

Let's pump the brakes on the pump the brakes request for a sec...we *do* have a budding, yet humorous rivalry with Minnesota that our staff has fully committed to.

And frankly, the $5 Bits of Broken Chair trophy is heads and shoulders better than any of the other rivalry game trophies that have been forced on us. Not all rivalries need to be born from hatred. Some can come from comedy gold.

As for a rivalry saving the season...no. Never.

• Fire 2

We were having this discussion around the dinner table last night, and I was curious what the board thought. As a hypothetical; say Nebraska goes 7-5 but beats Wisconsin and Iowa. How would those wins factor into your overall view of the season?

For me (I witnessed the B1G Championship massacre in Indy), the Wisconsin game has become very important... perhaps even a "season saver".

Iowa and Wisconsin (and Minnesota) don't do it for me as "rivals." Nebraska hasn't been good enough the past four years to have any rivalries that matter, in my opinion. Great rivalries come with great heartbreak, and great heartbreak isn't really possible when you're losing 4 games every year to middling programs and out of the conference championship talk.

I suppose the Wisconsin beatdown in 2012 fits the criteria for a rivalry, but I just feel like that loss was mostly self-inflicted. As a fan, I feel like we've had more of a rivalry with our own damn coaching staff than with other schools. Maybe Riley can get things straightened out.

Iowa fans are truly obnoxious--their jealous and bitterness towards all things Nebraska is legendary. But how can you have a "rivalry" with a .500 program that can't beat Iowa State most years and loses to directional schools at home? It would be like hating de-clawed kittens.

I miss Oklahoma/Nebraska. Glad we're in the Big Ten, but no rivalry will ever top that one.

Iowa and Wisconsin (and Minnesota) don't do it for me as "rivals." Nebraska hasn't been good enough the past four years to have any rivalries that matter, in my opinion. Great rivalries come with great heartbreak, and great heartbreak isn't really possible when you're losing 4 games every year to middling programs and out of the conference championship talk.

I suppose the Wisconsin beatdown in 2012 fits the criteria for a rivalry, but I just feel like that loss was mostly self-inflicted. As a fan, I feel like we've had more of a rivalry with our own damn coaching staff than with other schools. Maybe Riley can get things straightened out.

Today I learned that the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the country are middling.

When did we lose to the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the country?

When did we lose to the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the country?

You claimed we had 4 losses to middling teams every year. We lost to MSU last year, and previously to OSU. They must then be middling.