At what point do we stop bringing up Bo to defend Riley?

A lot of the criticism of Riley is veiled defense of Pelini, which we saw in full bloom following the first game with threads such as "I hope you're happy now."

There's no legitimate justification for the Riley hate after one, two or three games, and there's no explanation other than Pelini's fans are still butthurt. I wish they would take their carnival to Youngstown where I understand Pelini has gotten the old gang back together again.

This is mostly incorrect. The Riley hire was head scratching to say the least and he hasn't done anything to alleviate that concern.

Riley has earned that criticism himself.

At the same time, a lot of "defense" of Riley is veiled criticism of Pelini. My question is "Can we have legitimate discussions about the performance of Riley and his staff without turning it into a Riley vs. Bo debate?"

This also is incorrect. It's not veiled criticism, it's out in the open. Any criticism of Reily is countered by some perceived negative of Bo, whether it's true or not. There has been a lot of revisionist history of the former coach, too.

To answer the OP, Bo lives rent free in the minds of many. Most of his most ardent followers have let him go, it's time the rest of them do too.

Golden's overtime "coaching" was even more bone-headed. We were a holding penalty away from double overtime. Nobody's talking about this, but the game-winning field goal hooked sharp right, and didn't make it inside the upright by much. That was after a five-yard penalty. Five more yards and that kick misses wide right, or doinks off the upright.

I could not believe he kept running play after play after play when they got the ball at the 12 1/2 after the penalty. You run one play - QB running to the spot the kicker prefers - and you kick the field goal. A fumbled snap, a stupid penalty... Golden was playing with fire at the end there.

But that's assuming he kicks the exact same kick, which is unlikely. Maybe there was something about that specific spot (perhaps the grass was a little longer, perhaps it was slicker, perhaps there was a small but noteworthy divot that led the kick astray. Move back 5 yards and maybe the guy drills it down the middle.

Point is, it's meaningless to make the coulda-mighta kind of game because we're using incomplete information. So let's just take things as they are: Nebraska came out and played awful (and Miami played well) for 3.25 quarters. Nebraska came back with some help from Miami and scored 23 unanswered points in the final 8:30. By the way, I'm willing to bet none of you Riley detractors were cursing him and the staff out when we scored the game-tying TD--I for one would appreciate it if you would be more consistent in your attitudes. We go to OT, Tommy makes a mistake in either not seeing the defender, forcing a throw, or underthrowing Tariq. Alex Lewis compounds that mistake by making one of his own, which starts Miami at the 12 1/2 yard line, giving them a greater chance of winning (although you could debate that considering our inability to cover space that day; 12 1/2 yards is a lot less than 25 and our defense got a lot stronger in the red zone). Miami tries to let Nebraska back in it, but barely slips in a FG to win 36-33.

That's what happened. We played bad, and we can debate night and day about why we played bad. Then we played good, and we can debate about that too. Then we lost by 3 in overtime. It's no use playing the coulda-shoulda-woulda, because when we do that, we only look at the coulda-shoulda-woulda that benefits us while ignoring the coulda-shoulda-woulda that would've hurt us.

But it's less fun to do that.

A lot of the criticism of Riley is veiled defense of Pelini, which we saw in full bloom following the first game with threads such as "I hope you're happy now."

There's no legitimate justification for the Riley hate after one, two or three games, and there's no explanation other than Pelini's fans are still butthurt. I wish they would take their carnival to Youngstown where I understand Pelini has gotten the old gang back together again.

This is mostly incorrect. The Riley hire was head scratching to say the least and he hasn't done anything to alleviate that concern.

Guilty until proven innocent, eh?

• Fire 2

why would anyone keep bringing up Pelini, the worthless piece of sh#t is gone!!

• Fire 1

1 and 2.

And he does have a lengthy record at OSU and San Diego, how soon some ignore that little fact.

Golden's overtime "coaching" was even more bone-headed. We were a holding penalty away from double overtime. Nobody's talking about this, but the game-winning field goal hooked sharp right, and didn't make it inside the upright by much. That was after a five-yard penalty. Five more yards and that kick misses wide right, or doinks off the upright.

I could not believe he kept running play after play after play when they got the ball at the 12 1/2 after the penalty. You run one play - QB running to the spot the kicker prefers - and you kick the field goal. A fumbled snap, a stupid penalty... Golden was playing with fire at the end there.

I thought almost exactly the same thing as that kick barley made it inside the right upright. "You know, without that personal foul to get them started, that kick would have been wide right."

• Fire 1

i don't care what the doom and gloomers think, say, or do. they can wallow in their misery if they like. i will support the Huskers. the coaches, the players, the fans, the ticket takers, the vendors...heck everyone associated with the Huskers. i will not take hundreds of potshots at them all day everyday, nor will i gleefuly troll message boards trying to troll the fans who want to enjoy husker football. so have fun Riley haters. i don't understand you guys wanting to wallow in your misery but you are free to do so. i am also not going to get dragged down to your level of hatred for our new coaches. Go Big Red!!!!!

:bigredn:

• Fire 2

This is mostly incorrect. The Riley hire was head scratching to say the least.

This is mostly incorrect. The Riley hire was head scratching to some, because Riley was rarely viewed as a candidate for HC jobs, having turned down USC, UCLA and Alabama in the past to stay in his hometown of Corvallis.

But most people who know college football thought it was a good call and a great fit.

Don't make me pull out my really long list again.

• Fire 1

With all the heat Golden has already gotten to date, he would've been toast to Canes fan if they had found some way of actually losing that game. It was truly phenomenal what the Huskers were able to do in crunch time, and also mind boggling that they were able to get some of those chances to begin with. I thought that FG had missed for a second.

"Riley has earned that criticism"? Lol. Very few sensible people are going to skewer a coach with this level of scrutiny less than a quarter of the way through his first season.

This is what it is. A few people unhappy with the hire from the beginning for whatever reason -- wanted Pelini to stay, wanted a different name, long-term axe to grind against the administration, etc -- looking for any opportunity now to pound their chest about how right they were.

Don't pretend any different, you "Osborne took years to get the program going" proclaimers of 2014.

• Fire 2

This is mostly incorrect. The Riley hire was head scratching to say the least.

This is mostly incorrect. The Riley hire was head scratching to some, because Riley was rarely viewed as a candidate for HC jobs, having turned down USC, UCLA and Alabama in the past to stay in his hometown of Corvallis.

But most people who know college football thought it was a good call and a great fit.

Don't make me pull out my really long list again.

Most people who know college football know Mike Riley and really like him and say nice things about him and are happy that he landed the Nebraska job. This really has no bearing on whether they actually think he will be successful here.

Golden's overtime "coaching" was even more bone-headed.

Agreed!

Wouldn't it make sense to try the field goal on third down if the distance is short? Then, if there is a bad snap or bad hold, the holder can just eat it and they have another chance on fourth down. I don't know, maybe there is a drawback to that plan and it wouldn't help for a muffed chip shot (Hi there, Nick Rose of Texas!), but I like the idea.