At what point do we stop bringing up Bo to defend Riley?

This is mostly incorrect. The Riley hire was head scratching to some, because Riley was rarely viewed as a candidate for HC jobs, having turned down USC, UCLA and Alabama in the past to stay in his hometown of Corvallis.

I keep seeing posters post this, but I've actually never seen any proof that he was offered those jobs and turned them down. I've heard that his name was brought up, but not that he turned down the offers. Any proof of that, because I could be wrong.

But most people who know college football thought it was a good call and a great fit.

Agreed. But that doesn't guarantee success. It didn't at some of his other stops.

Don't make me pull out my really long list again.

{yawn}

When Alex Lewis states that he is done playing for the state of Nebraska! There is a lot of 408 left in this team.

That right there is all you need to know.

What you need to know is that Alex Lewis' problems predates Nebraska and Pelini. Go google Alex Lewis in Colorado.

So this is a prime example of blaming Pelini for something bad that is clearly not his fault.

Pelini brought Lewis to Nebraska. Swing & a miss kimosabe.
So, I got to thinking, since Bo is responsible for Lewis and his mindset as well as the mindset of the entire team, it would only be consistent to give him all the credit for the almost come back win against Miami.

I mean, if he deserves the blame, he deserves the accolades too. And, history tells us that his teams are prone to come back wins.

Fer CHRISSAKES! Riley is our head coach now...! I watched 'THE O', Solich, Callahan, Pelini, now Riley. He's the coach. Get behind him, or suck hind TEAT! Fair weather fans BLOW! Gotta root win OR lose and YES, it's Ok to be disappointed, but for the love all THAT IS WHOLLY, give the friggin' guy a CHANCE and a BREAK! Riley stands on his own merit, just as the previous Husker coaches did. Just because the flippin' internet made it more easy to vent, pith n moan, does NOT mean any of us get a 'say'. How about this, watch the friggin' games on TV, get happy, get mad and GET OVER IT! GO BIG RED FOREVER!

• Fire 2

Technically speaking, every coach leaves his imprint on the program. Hell, if you really wanted to, you could blame TO for making the fanbase (good and bad) what it is today.

Realistically, Bo's imprint/impact on this program will lessen each season. But, in my opinion, once the vast majority of Pelini's recruits are gone, it's really all on Riley.

I've said this ad nauseum, so I apologize for those who have already read this - I don't think you simply undo 5, 10 or even 15 years of inadequacies in just 9 months. This program has struggled for a while with several things things - consistency, mental fortitude, talent to a degree and coaching. Fixing it isn't like flipping a switch, and while I don't think anyone is saying that, Riley definitely needs more time to remedy the things the team has dealt with.

• Fire 1

Fer CHRISSAKES! Riley is our head coach now...! I watched 'THE O', Solich, Callahan, Pelini, now Riley. He's the coach. Get behind him, or suck hind TEAT! Fair weather fans BLOW! Gotta root win OR lose and YES, it's Ok to be disappointed, but for the love all THAT IS WHOLLY, give the friggin' guy a CHANCE and a BREAK! Riley stands on his own merit, just as the previous Husker coaches did. Just because the flippin' internet made it more easy to vent, pith n moan, does NOT mean any of us get a 'say'. How about this, watch the friggin' games on TV, get happy, get mad and GET OVER IT! GO BIG RED FOREVER!

Sweet rant!

Like!

Technically speaking, every coach leaves his imprint on the program. Hell, if you really wanted to, you could blame TO for making the fanbase (good and bad) what it is today.

Realistically, Bo's imprint/impact on this program will lessen each season. But, in my opinion, once the vast majority of Pelini's recruits are gone, it's really all on Riley.

I've said this ad nauseum, so I apologize for those who have already read this - I don't think you simply undo 5, 10 or even 15 years of inadequacies in just 9 months. This program has struggled for a while with several things things - consistency, mental fortitude, talent to a degree and coaching. Fixing it isn't like flipping a switch, and while I don't think anyone is saying that, Riley definitely needs more time to remedy the things the team has dealt with.

Yeah, pretty much.....

A lot of the criticism of Riley is veiled defense of Pelini, which we saw in full bloom following the first game with threads such as "I hope you're happy now."

There's no legitimate justification for the Riley hate after one, two or three games, and there's no explanation other than Pelini's fans are still butthurt. I wish they would take their carnival to Youngstown where I understand Pelini has gotten the old gang back together again.

This is mostly incorrect. The Riley hire was head scratching to say the least.

This is mostly incorrect. The Riley hire was head scratching to some, because Riley was rarely viewed as a candidate for HC jobs, having turned down USC, UCLA and Alabama in the past to stay in his hometown of Corvallis.

But most people who know college football thought it was a good call and a great fit.

Those job opportunities were in the distant past. Riley's performance the past 5 seasons would drastically alter his potential suitor list.

A lot of the criticism of Riley is veiled defense of Pelini, which we saw in full bloom following the first game with threads such as "I hope you're happy now."

There's no legitimate justification for the Riley hate after one, two or three games, and there's no explanation other than Pelini's fans are still butthurt. I wish they would take their carnival to Youngstown where I understand Pelini has gotten the old gang back together again.

Those job opportunities were in the distant past. Riley's performance the past 5 seasons would drastically alter his potential suitor list.

You mean like 408's that sent him to a team = to Doane???????????

When Alex Lewis states that he is done playing for the state of Nebraska! There is a lot of 408 left in this team.

That right there is all you need to know.

What you need to know is that Alex Lewis' problems predates Nebraska and Pelini. Go google Alex Lewis in Colorado.

So this is a prime example of blaming Pelini for something bad that is clearly not his fault.

Pelini brought Lewis to Nebraska. Swing & a miss kimosabe.
So, I got to thinking, since Bo is responsible for Lewis and his mindset as well as the mindset of the entire team, it would only be consistent to give him all the credit for the almost come back win against Miami.

I mean, if he deserves the blame, he deserves the accolades too. And, history tells us that his teams are prone to come back wins.

Sure, I will give him credit for the 1-2 record, anything else I can do for you????????????

• Fire 1

Most people who know college football know Mike Riley and really like him and say nice things about him and are happy that he landed the Nebraska job. This really has no bearing on whether they actually think he will be successful here.

Last year at this time, a poll of college football coaches ranked Mike Riley as the second most underrated coach in college football, behind only Duke's David Cutcliffe.

Landing a coach considered one of the most underrated by his peers, a coach most people thought was unavailable, in a college football landscape with few obvious saviors, was a pretty smart move.

Bonus points? Mike Riley wanted to come to Nebraska.

No one knows if he will be successful here because no one can tell the future anywhere.

In the meantime, I'm rooting for him to succeed. It's what fans do.

They don't attach Welcome to Callahan 2.0! to their name and accuse every other Husker fan of being gullible. Unless....

...you know, every time I see one of you guys talk about Mike Riley being nice -- as if that's all he is -- I'm seeing a guy who thinks not nice Bo Pelini got a raw deal.

Yeah, criticizing Mike Riley isn't the same as defending Bo Pelini. Except when that's exactly what it is.

This is why God invented the word "butthurt."

• Fire 4