Where's Wilbon? Here's where...

knapplc

i don't know... i know he's the coach, but if pass protection and pass catching are really the only issues, then for someone of mikale's talent, you have to find ways of using him where he won't be needed for pass pro. even if it is one down a series, and the entire defense knows he will be handed the ball. the reason is talent management and substitutions. it would not be good to see quality linemen and rbs leave because of the current playing policy. it also affects recruiting. this isn't the nfl.

If you put Wilbon in for one play, when the entire defense knows it's a run...

I gaurantee that we will no longer see threads about "where is Wilbon". They will all be replaced by "WTF is Riley doing???? Round hole! Square Peg!! rabble, rablble, rableee , arerabble..."

everyone knew what nebraska was going to do on offense 80% of the time they lined up from 1968 to 2003. yet those teams racked up millions of yards.

lets not get it twisted. having a good running offense is predicated on being able to pick up more than 2 yards precisely when the defense knows you are running the ball.

• Fire 1

i don't know... i know he's the coach, but if pass protection and pass catching are really the only issues, then for someone of mikale's talent, you have to find ways of using him where he won't be needed for pass pro. even if it is one down a series, and the entire defense knows he will be handed the ball. the reason is talent management and substitutions. it would not be good to see quality linemen and rbs leave because of the current playing policy. it also affects recruiting. this isn't the nfl.

I gaurantee that we will no longer see threads about "where is Wilbon". They will all be replaced by "WTF is Riley doing???? Round hole! Square Peg!! rabble, rablble, rableee , arerabble..."

everyone knew what nebraska was going to do on offense 80% of the time they lined up from 1968 to 2003. yet those teams racked up millions of yards.

lets not get it twisted. having a good running offense is predicated on being able to pick up more than 2 yards precisely when the defense knows you are running the ball.

Use Wilbon, who allegedly can't block, because the Huskers ran an option offense over 20 years ago.

I'm sold.

• Fire 1

Pass protection, okay......

So when we are running the ball put him in. Then he doesnt have to pass protect. Not rocket science.

So when opposing teams see Wilbon on the field, they know we are gonna run. So what.

For the record. I don't buy this reason. There's something else IMO. They're not gonna tell us. Just my read on it.

• Fire 1
Wow...just wow.

Yep, that's right. Don't put him in on 3rd and 18, do put him in on 3rd and 2...with a fullback...and Armstrong at QB...and Reilly hard in motion...but then you say you have it all figured out, right?

I see Shawn Watson has left his mark in Huskerland. Too many people want to play chess and not football.

Now, do you have anything to say that either makes or refutes a point?...

...or are you going to stick with this standard stock answer that tries to substitute catty feigned smugness for meaningful dialogue?

So when opposing teams see Wilbon on the field, they know we are gonna run. So what.

First off, Riley isn't contractually obligated to run a pass play when Wilbon is on the field.

Second, how many different run plays are there?

Third, if we a less effective run game with the backs / blocking we have now, isn't that just as limiting in Nebraska's play calling? Really, it is choosing between good running and poor pass blocking/catching and mediocre running and mediocre pass blocking/catching.

I'm not saying Wilbon would turn things around, but it is certainly a point open to intelligent discussion.

• Fire 1

We really could have used him this year if he had redshirted and stuck around.

Did he have to give up an extra year to be at TCU? Not sure he would have redshirted had he stayed. That's unusual for a guy who doesn't do it as a freshman, so we might've lost him by now anyway.

This is probably the most successful Husker transfer we've seen in recent years. Good for him.

He was actually asked by the coaches to redshirt his first year here and declined. So you are correct that it is very unlikely that he would have done so later on. He would have been out of eligibility last year in all likelihood.

• Fire 1

Use Wilbon, who allegedly can't block, because the Huskers ran an option offense over 20 years ago.

I'm sold.

haha i don't even know where to start with this. if this is what you picked out from what i said, then it just isn't worth my time to continue with you. smh.

If he can't block, your QB ain't throwing for 3 bills over and over. He has little value if that is the problem.

How about having the center, two guards, two tackles, and one or two tight ends plus a fullback take care of the pass blocking and use a running back mainly to run?

Let's not over think the basic premise here.

Pass protection, okay......

So when we are running the ball put him in. Then he doesnt have to pass protect. Not rocket science.

For the record. I don't buy this reason. There's something else IMO. They're not gonna tell us. Just my read on it.

yep. there is a reason why many football teams at college and pro levels have one back designated specifically for 3rd downs and other "passing downs". the running backs that play on other "non-passing downs" aren't exactly in there for their stellar pass protection skills.

Thanks, Mav. Probably the best move for him to get to TCU, anyway. He managed to make the most of probably greater opportunity there.

Bow -- RBs in pass pro is a basic premise. I would agree you have to be pretty good here. If that's the only reason Wilbon isn't regarded as ready for prime time, as a RFr, I'm not even too worried about him. He wasn't the first and won't be the last to be held back because of this part of his game.

Second, how many different run plays are there?

It depends. Are you counting different blocking schemes (usually referred to as 'adjustments') for the same run as different run plays, or is a run play going through the same gap just one run play regardless of the blocking schemes?

Because if the latter is true, there are only 12-16 run plays. Between C and G to either side (usually called a dive) between G and T to either side (usually called a blast) off tackle to either side (most commonly called Power O), stretch play to the sidelines trying to turn the corner and get up field, again to either side. That makes 8 so far.

Then there's the FB trap, a veer or read option off of any other run play, an inverted veer (which is an inside QB run off of an RB stretch play. It's a read option where the QB runs inside and the HB runs outside instead of vice versa) a triple option (which is usually a veer off of a fullback trap or an inside HB run with a pitch route to the sidelines) a pitch to either side, and a zone run to either side (in which there's usually no set running lane, the RB just takes whatever holes open up).

Now add to that a different blocking scheme for each and every run play depending on how the D lines up (are they in a 4-3, 3-4, 4-2-5, 3-3-5, 4-1-6, 3-2-6, and so on). With all the different ways a defense lines up, you need to adjust the blocking scheme to account for that, and also to account for blitzes (are the LBs doing an A-gap blitz? Is it a corner blitz? Blocking schemes need to be adjusted to account for all of that or you're going to get TFL). So, depending on how you look at it, the run game is either very simple or very complex.

And that doesn't even account for special adjustments, like having a WR Crack block a LB or S to help open the running lane.

In truth, there are literally hundreds of runs, if you assume that each and every run variation is its own play. Thankfully, it's possible to study the opponents film and adjust your blocking schemes in the week leading up to practice. But still, each of those adjustments needs to be practiced beforehand, and it's actually very impressive to see a team make an adjustment on the fly in the middle of a game without having practiced them beforehand. Wisconsin and Alabama are particularly good at making in game adjustments.

And it's not just the blockers that need to be able to handle the adjustments. The RBs need to understand who is blocking, where, and when, so they can hit the hole at the right time. If they get there too soon or too late, it's a blown play. That's why announcers always complement the best runners on their patience. They are waiting for the blocks to get into position.

So, there is more to Wilbon being out than just pass pro and pass catching.

• Fire 2