How Would You Feel?

Given the teams remaining on the schedule and how our talent should stack up against theirs, I'd be disappointed with a 7-5 season. Mike Riley was brought in because this program has been stuck in second gear for 7 years and every time there was a chance to upshift and turn the corner, we blew it in spectacular, meltdown fashion.

This roster certainly has its deficiencies when it comes to depth at OL, DL and LB, but it's not exactly a clunker either. We have talent. The problem is, we're still seeing the breakdowns, we're still seeing the mental lapses that have plagued this team for the last 7 years.

• I thought, for sure, that the amount of penalties we'd have this year would drastically decrease. We've been just as, if not more, penalty prone thus far. Question is, how much of this can we attribute to the last staff and how much can we put on this year's staff?
  • The big play. We are still giving up the big play at an alarming rate. We've cashed in a porous rush defense for an inept passing defense. We are LAST in the country in passing yards per game. Last. If we continue to struggle to rush the passer and allow receivers to run right by in the secondary, 7-5 could be optimistic.

I like Riley and I want him to succeed, he is the kind of coach I would happily have my son play for. That being said, 7-5 would be a black eye for Mike Riley and his staff and a gut punch to the fanbase. We're going to find out a lot about this team in the coming weeks. The good news is, the style of offenses that we're going to be playing really favor our defense. If we make Joel Stave look like Joe Montana in a couple of weeks, then we're in some real trouble.

Like we fired a coach only to replace him with something just as bad. I would be wondering how long it will be until we get another chance to hire a great coach.

I was joking with friends this weekend and texting them "Can we fast-forward 3-4 years to when Riley quits/retires/is fired?"

I am not saying Bo should have been kept, and I want Riley to succeed, and am willing to give him some time to figure it out at NU. But, the first 4 games are not giving me a warm, fuzzy feeling about the hire that was made. Between the game management, penalties, and defense, I am not impressed so far.

It's easy to fire a coach, it's pretty hard to hire the correct guy after a firing is made.

You keep saying that but you also keep not doing that. Which is it going to be? Are you going to give him time, as you keep proclaiming? Or, are you ready to throw in the towel and get the next coach as you also keep alluding to?

Considering I am not the AD at NU, it's not like I am going to fire the guy. I am a fan of Nebraska, so it's not dependent on the coach. I will watch every game, cheer for a Husker victory each game, and go on with that.

My comments about the concerns that have popped up during the first 4 games in Riley's tenure are merely those. I will give credit when credit is due, and I will give criticism when that is due, as well. But, to not question anything that is going on with this year's team is not what I am going to do.

r

You can look back through your history on this board and easily see that you're being a bit unfair to Riley already ColoradoHusk. You defended Bo quite a bit, all the way up to the end. Let's not beat around the bush and just own the fact that you were a big Bo Pelini fan and supporter and you're a little bit butthurt about his firing. That fact is leading you to have a much shorter leash with Riley. You can't really debate this, I literally looked back to posts in your history and you were defending him in his sixth and seventh years, well after some of the worst record setting failures in program history. So the unwillingness to even accept less blowouts as a positive sign in this coaches first year, is pretty telling of your crooked stance on the situation.

Like we fired a coach only to replace him with something just as bad. I would be wondering how long it will be until we get another chance to hire a great coach.

I was joking with friends this weekend and texting them "Can we fast-forward 3-4 years to when Riley quits/retires/is fired?"

I am not saying Bo should have been kept, and I want Riley to succeed, and am willing to give him some time to figure it out at NU. But, the first 4 games are not giving me a warm, fuzzy feeling about the hire that was made. Between the game management, penalties, and defense, I am not impressed so far.

It's easy to fire a coach, it's pretty hard to hire the correct guy after a firing is made.

You keep saying that but you also keep not doing that. Which is it going to be? Are you going to give him time, as you keep proclaiming? Or, are you ready to throw in the towel and get the next coach as you also keep alluding to?

Considering I am not the AD at NU, it's not like I am going to fire the guy. I am a fan of Nebraska, so it's not dependent on the coach. I will watch every game, cheer for a Husker victory each game, and go on with that.

My comments about the concerns that have popped up during the first 4 games in Riley's tenure are merely those. I will give credit when credit is due, and I will give criticism when that is due, as well. But, to not question anything that is going on with this year's team is not what I am going to do.

r

You can look back through your history on this board and easily see that you're being a bit unfair to Riley already ColoradoHusk. You defended Bo quite a bit, all the way up to the end. Let's not beat around the bush and just own the fact that you were a big Bo Pelini fan and supporter and you're a little bit butthurt about his firing. That fact is leading you to have a much shorter leash with Riley. You can't really debate this, I literally looked back to posts in your history and you were defending him in his sixth and seventh years, well after some of the worst record setting failures in program history. So the unwillingness to even accept less blowouts as a positive sign in this coaches first year, is pretty telling of your crooked stance on the situation.

I was a Bo supporter and I gave him a longer leash than some, you are right in that. But, I was not butthurt at all about his firing. You are 100% wrong in that. I was ready for him to be fired after the Wisconsin debacle.

I am approaching Riley as if he were in a vacuum. I know that Riley is working with Bo's recruits at this time, and that is going to impact the team's performance. But, I am not going to constantly compare Riley to what Bo did. I am treating Riley and his tenure as it's own thing. That is how I can be critical of things that I have seen the first 4 games. If you don't agree with that approach, it won't bother me any.

• Fire 1

I am not saying Bo should have been kept, and I want Riley to succeed, andam willing to give him some time to figure it out at NU. But, the first 4 games are not giving me a warm, fuzzy feeling about the hire that was made. Between the game management, penalties, and defense, I am not impressed so far.

r

I was a Bo supporter and I gave him a longer leash than some, you are right in that. But, I was not butthurt at all about his firing. You are 100% wrong in that. I was ready for him to be fired after the Wisconsin debacle.

I am approaching Riley as if he were in a vacuum. I know that Riley is working with Bo's recruits at this time, and that is going to impact the team's performance. But, I am not going to constantly compare Riley to what Bo did. I am treating Riley and his tenure as it's own thing. That is how I can be critical of things that I have seen the first 4 games. If you don't agree with that approach, it won't bother me any.

YOu love BO

r

I think that's a good mindset for everyone to have (and also a funny mental image).

That being said, if Bo were here, the narrative from last season would have carried over into this season. The coaching staff may be different, but the players are still the same, so expecting an entirely new narrative (an entirely new team, or what you will) isn't totally realistic or fair to the new coaches.

I don't see much of a point in comparing Riley to Bo (if for no other reason that the decisions to fire Bo and hire Riley are in the past and there's nothing we can do to change them), but Bo would have come into this season with a certain trajectory based on the results of last season. The coaching staff is different, but the players are still the same. So the trajectory isn't 100% the same as it would have been if Bo stayed, but it's still starting from the same point.

Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense, the coffee didn't work too well this morning. :ahhhhhhhh

I am not saying Bo should have been kept, and I want Riley to succeed, andam willing to give him some time to figure it out at NU. But, the first 4 games are not giving me a warm, fuzzy feeling about the hire that was made. Between the game management, penalties, and defense, I am not impressed so far.

r

YOu love BO

I am going to change my name to ColoradoPenguin. GO BO!!! GO YSU!!!

Also...the idea of giving Riley 7 years because "you" gave Bo 7 years is stupid. It really is...

If you bought a lemon of a car and finally got rid of it after 7 years and bought a new one that started giving you trouble early on you wouldn't just "think positive" and hope the check engine light would go off...you would "do something about it"...you wouldn't give it 7 years to see if it got better.

Fans can't really "do something about it" in this case so some of them call out the staff for things they see as issues.

• Fire 1

Also...the idea of giving Riley 7 years because "you" gave Bo 7 years is stupid. It really is...

I agree. I thought we gave Bo WAY too long.

I defended BC for a long time (too long), and I defended Bo for a long time (probably too long). I can't change how I am going to have my opinions on a new coach?

To me, I am seeing the exact same crap that I have seen for the past 14 years. It's not good football. Riley is the current coach, so I am going to give him blame.

• Fire 2

I defended BC for a long time (too long), and I defended Bo for a long time (probably too long). I can't change how I am going to have my opinions on a new coach?

To me, I am seeing the exact same crap that I have seen for the past 14 years. It's not good football. Riley is the current coach, so I am going to give him blame.

You see, that's where we TOTALLY disagree.

When we are executing and doing things the way they're supposed to look, I think it looks like GREAT FOOTBALL. Probably the best football I've seen around here in a long time.

I just see inconsistency still, and inconsistency has plagued this team for a long time, but man when it's going right it looks like damn good football.

You see, that's where we TOTALLY disagree.

When we are executing and doing things the way they're supposed to look, I think it looks like GREAT FOOTBALL. Probably the best football I've seen around here in a long time.

I just see inconsistency still, and inconsistency has plagued this team for a long time, but man when it's going right it looks like damn good football.

You think last in FBS in penalties per play is "great football"? You think last in passing defense is "great football"? You think getting completely dominated on the road for 80% of the game is "great football"?

Wow,

• Fire 4