Executing the Scheme

True2tRA

The defense is definitely frustrating at the moment -- and not in the way you WANT defenses to be frustrating (i.e. to other teams!).

But look at it this way: this defense is composed of most of the same players that 8 games ago gave up the NCAA record for rushing yards in a game. This is that same group of guys, only minus a 2nd round draft pick and adding some true freshman. Defense was bad to end the season last year and they're bad (albeit in a different way) to begin the season this year.

I know I'm not the first person to make this argument, but it just goes to show that, while scheme is probably part of the reason pass d is terrible so far, at least part of the problem also has to be personnel (either physically or mentally). Which means it's going to take longer to fix than any of us are happy with.

However, I'm not saying that Banker, et al shouldn't be doing everything they can to tweak the scheme to put our defense in the best position for success. I'm just saying that the defensive problems were so severe last season, and then to come into this season with such a depleted LB core -- it's just going to require time to get everything where we want it.

So try and refrain from being "in-patient" :P

Very well said and very true. Most of the negativity on this board is from former Bolivers that just don't want to see it. They are more interested in Riley failing than waiting for or hoping he succeeds.

Yr. Pass Defense Rush Defense

2007 114 39

2008 70 67

2009 112 24

2010 60 37

2011 11 9

2012 9 8

2013 3 2

2014 61 1

These are the rankings of Michigan State's pass and rush defense from when Dantonio and Narduzzi took over. As you can see, their stats didn't start out so hot but became better after a few years of getting the guys they needed to run their defense. I can't see any reason why we can't give Riley and Banker the same time instead of demanding immediate success

So it took 5 years for his system and coaching to really produce great results. Funny how that also correlates with his first recruiting class becoming seniors..

Yr. Pass Defense Rush Defense

2007 114 39

2008 70 67

2009 112 24

2010 60 37

2011 11 9

2012 9 8

2013 3 2

2014 61 1

These are the rankings of Michigan State's pass and rush defense from when Dantonio and Narduzzi took over. As you can see, their stats didn't start out so hot but became better after a few years of getting the guys they needed to run their defense. I can't see any reason why we can't give Riley and Banker the same time instead of demanding immediate success

So it took 5 years for his system and coaching to really produce great results. Funny how that also correlates with his first recruiting class becoming seniors..

But...but...but.....I DEMAND THIS COACHING STAFF FIXES IT THIS WEEK OR THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps....I'm not sure how there will be hell to pay. But, this sounds like how I'm supposed to be reacting right now so I felt I needed to post this.

I supported Bo for 6.5 years, and to a certain extent still like him as a coach. You really think I'm going to give up on Riley after 4 games?

My problem is it doesn't seem to matter who the opponent is. Every team we have faced thus far is torching is through the air. BYU is a good team, so is Miami. South Alabama, not so much. USM, they are okay but still. We know what teams are going to do to us, yet we haven't done anything about it. Thats my problem.

It really does remind me a bit of some of the rushing struggles we had under the last regime recently. Granted, we weren't last in the nation bad, but I'm still blown away by how many yards we gave up to McNeese St. (178) and of course Wisconsin later in the season.

The thing I'm taking solace in right now is we were setting defensive ineptitude records years into a coach's tenure and right now we're heading into game 5. I'm hopeful they'll find some type of remedy. Not to say crazy things can't happen... hell... I mean Alabama just got blown out in Tuscaloosa a couple weeks ago. But, I do feel better that this is early on in a coaching tenure and not year 5+ when you're hoping to finally win a conference title.

I supported Bo for 6.5 years, and to a certain extent still like him as a coach. You really think I'm going to give up on Riley after 4 games?

My problem is it doesn't seem to matter who the opponent is. Every team we have faced thus far is torching is through the air. BYU is a good team, so is Miami. South Alabama, not so much. USM, they are okay but still. We know what teams are going to do to us, yet we haven't done anything about it. Thats my problem.

I guess I'll take your word for it that you aren't giving up on Riley. This just strikes me as somewhat funny though. A reasonable person should know that this pass defense isn't going turnaround on a dime yet, with a 4 game sample "...we haven't done anything about it. Thats my problem." I understand, it sucks that we're this bad on pass D. It should never be this bad. Things do have to change. But how quickly do you think that change can reasonably happen? I mean, if we're just here to bitch about how bad it is, I'm right there with ya. But the big question is, what's the solution? We're stuck with the players we have for the most part, other than maybe trying other guys on the roster. We're stuck with the coaches we have, unless you're proposing a change here already. I guess I'm not seeing a quick solution, a solution that doesn't require more time, more than a few games to fix.

Possibly you're just a few games ahead of my tolerance level. I can understand that. Not everyone has the same tolerance level for these things. Some people were fed up with Bo almost immediately and some would prefer he was still here. Some never intended to give Riley a chance, some are out of patience at 4 games and some of us are going to give it a more reasonable amount of time.

Right, the bottom line is -- let's say Riley gets the same 5-7 years here that Bo does. We don't know what the program might look like at the end of it, and it's folly to claim otherwise. It's fun to speculate, though.

> Dantonio-level MSU?

> Wisconsin-type solid?

> Some ups, some downs?

> Similar to Pelini? (borderline/outside Top 25 and trending down as the era ends)

> A total disaster? (If so, hopefully the recruiting is good, at least!)

Stick along for the ride, or bail, hey, it's up to you :D

Right, the bottom line is -- let's say Riley gets the same 5-7 years here that Bo does. We don't know what the program might look like at the end of it, and it's folly to claim otherwise. It's fun to speculate, though.

> Dantonio-level MSU?

> Wisconsin-type solid?

> Some ups, some downs?

> Similar to Pelini? (borderline/outside Top 25 and trending down as the era ends)

> A total disaster? (If so, hopefully the recruiting is good, at least!)

Stick along for the ride, or bail, hey, it's up to you :D

It is fun to speculate. I am looking for what's behind door number three: Osborne-level Nebraska Football. Not immediately, but there should be signs of progressing to that point in years 1 and 2.

I guess I'll take your word for it that you aren't giving up on Riley. This just strikes me as somewhat funny though. A reasonable person should know that this pass defense isn't going turnaround on a dime yet, with a 4 game sample "...we haven't done anything about it. Thats my problem." I understand, it sucks that we're this bad on pass D. It should never be this bad. Things do have to change. But how quickly do you think that change can reasonably happen? I mean, if we're just here to bitch about how bad it is, I'm right there with ya. But the big question is, what's the solution? We're stuck with the players we have for the most part, other than maybe trying other guys on the roster. We're stuck with the coaches we have, unless you're proposing a change here already. I guess I'm not seeing a quick solution, a solution that doesn't require more time, more than a few games to fix.

Possibly you're just a few games ahead of my tolerance level. I can understand that. Not everyone has the same tolerance level for these things. Some people were fed up with Bo almost immediately and some would prefer he was still here. Some never intended to give Riley a chance, some are out of patience at 4 games and some of us are going to give it a more reasonable amount of time.

I just want to win another freaking national championship, god damn it! And I think the fastest way there is by giving 100% support to the current staff. :power

• Fire 2

If we were holding South Alabama and Southern Miss to respectable numbers defensively, I would be a lot less worried. But they were able to do the same things to us as BYU and Miami.

Honestly, I haven't seen much Illinois game play this year. I know they usually have some capable receivers and a QB that can throw. If they have that Saturday, we could be in trouble. Really I'll be surprised if they don't hang 300 yards passing on us. If we don't have the guys we need to make this scheme work, we have to adjust to what we have. We heard numerous times in the offseason we would do that on offense, and we have. I think it needs to be considered on defense as well.

At this point, if we are going to get burnt so badly deep we should just sell out and blitz the holy hell out of the QB.

I know there is a lot of "these things take time" talk going on around here. I honestly think that we will have our defense issues somewhat fixed, at least to a serviceable level, come Saturday. There is too much football knowledge on the staff to continue to let this type of train wreck keep on going.

• Fire 2

If we were holding South Alabama and Southern Miss to respectable numbers defensively, I would be a lot less worried. But they were able to do the same things to us as BYU and Miami.

Honestly, I haven't seen much Illinois game play this year. I know they usually have some capable receivers and a QB that can throw. If they have that Saturday, we could be in trouble. Really I'll be surprised if they don't hang 300 yards passing on us. If we don't have the guys we need to make this scheme work, we have to adjust to what we have. We heard numerous times in the offseason we would do that on offense, and we have. I think it needs to be considered on defense as well.

At this point, if we are going to get burnt so badly deep we should just sell out and blitz the holy hell out of the QB.

I totally agree with you there. A coaches first job is to implement whatever works. If that means bailing on your scheme, changing personnel, whatever......., they need to make sure the job gets done. It's somewhat understandable if some things just won't work against a BYU or Miami but, USA and So Miss? That is the scary part, because if they can exploit our D, anybody can.

In the B1G, I still would rather control the run first and give up a little more on the pass. But, that's "a little more" not 400 thru the air every frikken game. I know the coaches are seeing the same problems and have the same concerns that we do so I am very hopeful they are addressing it and we'll start seeing some improvement.

I totally agree with you there. A coaches first job is to implement whatever works. If that means bailing on your scheme, changing personnel, whatever......., they need to make sure the job gets done. It's somewhat understandable if some things just won't work against a BYU or Miami but, USA and So Miss? That is the scary part, because if they can exploit our D, anybody can.

In the B1G, I still would rather control the run first and give up a little more on the pass. But, that's "a little more" not 400 thru the air every frikken game. I know they are seeing the same problems and have the same concerns that we do so I am very hopeful they are addressing it and we'll start seeing some improvement.

Bo's downfall was refusal to admit his scheme wasn't working. I expect a hell of a lot more humility out of Riley, and for him to gladly change a scheme when it becomes clear it isn't effective at that time.

I think we will be fine stopping the run in conference play. Problem is they are all licking their chops watching game film on us concerning our pass D. They can see we allow a QB time to throw, and even a mediocre receiver could have a career day if the right route is run. Thats why Illinois kinda scares me.

Moving a safety over has been mentioned multiple times. Yet if we do that, we probably start surrendering some bigger runs. We do not want to do that in conference play.

Still, lets get another guy rushing the QB. We should be able to do that and not sacrifice the run. The more pressure on him, the less passes of 40 yards plus we will have to worry about.

I'll probably catch hell for this but, what we need to do is to get the DL and DE's to unhitch the wagons from their a$$ and get after the qb. Is it just me or haven't they all looked like Cam Meredith out there so far this year. They just look slow. Yes, we can throw in some stunts and blitzs but sonofabitch, these guys should be able to get some pressure once in awhile with only a 4 man rush. Shouldn't they?