Executing the Scheme

True2tRA

I'll probably catch hell for this but, what we need to do is to get the DL and DE's to unhitch the wagons from their a$$ and get after the qb. Is it just me or haven't they all looked like Cam Meredith out there so far this year. They just look slow. Yes, we can throw in some stunts and blitzs but sonofabitch, these guys should be able to get some pressure once in awhile with only a 4 man rush. Shouldn't they?

Turning the DL loose would be huge. I have no idea why they are not flat out stomping guys. I mean Miami I can understand, BYU em, maybe, but not dominating USA and Southern Miss is inexcusable with our supposed towers of power in VV and Collins (I know VV was/is hurt). DE, I think will be Gangwish and Freedom when Gangs gets healthy. Speed on one side and motor on the other.

Right, the bottom line is -- let's say Riley gets the same 5-7 years here that Bo does. We don't know what the program might look like at the end of it, and it's folly to claim otherwise. It's fun to speculate, though.

> Dantonio-level MSU?

> Wisconsin-type solid?

> Some ups, some downs?

> Similar to Pelini? (borderline/outside Top 25 and trending down as the era ends)

> A total disaster? (If so, hopefully the recruiting is good, at least!)

Stick along for the ride, or bail, hey, it's up to you :D

I am really surprised at the capabilities of the O. The sweeps, FB, passing game, did I mention the FB? They are much further ahead than I would have thought in 4 games..... I would like a MUCH more reliable running game, but maybe that will come. Jan as a featured back?

After reading about how quarters should work, I see why it is taking so long to get it to work. Perhaps Banker and Stewart will get it done. Jury is out as we haven't seen the improvement we have with the O. I would love to see prolific D (aggressive, hard hitting and intimidating) coupled with an offense with an identity we can recruit to as well as one that has the ability to score on the ground or the air. (I know, who wouldn't)

I'll probably catch hell for this but, what we need to do is to get the DL and DE's to unhitch the wagons from their a$$ and get after the qb. Is it just me or haven't they all looked like Cam Meredith out there so far this year. They just look slow. Yes, we can throw in some stunts and blitzs but sonofabitch, these guys should be able to get some pressure once in awhile with only a 4 man rush. Shouldn't they?

Turning the DL loose would be huge. I have no idea why they are not flat out stomping guys. I mean Miami I can understand, BYU em, maybe, but not dominating USA and Southern Miss is inexcusable with our supposed towers of power in VV and Collins (I know VV was/is hurt). DE, I think will be Gangwish and Freedom when Gangs gets healthy. Speed on one side and motor on the other.

Collins still dominates when he's 1-on-1, but he's been doubled so much this year he seems taken out of most plays.

We definitely look slow. I was just watching the 2000 Alamo Bowl against Northwestern -- Vanden Bosch was a god among men that day. His speed and power were unreal. We saw that a lot with DE's through the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s, but not much recently. Gregory was great at times, but Vanden Bosch was another level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPaucRnHRgY?t=49m27s

Yeah, exactly. I can't fathom a reason we aren't terrorizing the QB on at least half our plays. I mean we have guys that should break past the first guy and at the very least allow the next guy to have a shot at a sack. Yet every time we get near the QB he somehow has these NFL type moves to dodge oncoming tackles. Baffles me, then, he delivers a 40 yard bomb to a receiver we have never heard of and we cuss at the TV.

Yeah, exactly. I can't fathom a reason we aren't terrorizing the QB on at least half our plays. I mean we have guys that should break past the first guy and at the very least allow the next guy to have a shot at a sack. Yet every time we get near the QB he somehow has these NFL type moves to dodge oncoming tackles. Baffles me, then, he delivers a 40 yard bomb to a receiver we have never heard of and we cuss at the TV.

Would agree. Can't remember the game, but Young was about to get to the QB and look like he slowed up. Have also noticed an inability to quickly change direction and recover if they run past. Freedom needs to stay on the field. IIRC, like 3rd most sacks nationally through 4 games.

Speed gentleman. It kills. Plain and simple.

Would agree. Can't remember the game, but Young was about to get to the QB and look like he slowed up. Have also noticed an inability to quickly change direction and recover if they run past. Freedom needs to stay on the field. IIRC, like 3rd most sacks nationally through 4 games.

Actually 17th most sacks through 4 games. Still very impressive.

Also, in the top 106 sack-getters, there are only 3 freshmen! He will be a force in the comming years.

I agree a healthy line should help but I don't think any of us should get caught up in the idea that some figurative leash is holding the defensive line back from really destroying people. I think it's a combination of health, learning the new scheme and player ability. They've obviously started the season doing a really good job stopping the run - pass rush and coverage are huge question marks, but I think we need to take this all in stride. Learning new defensive schemes after spending years with another one isn't a flip of the switch.

Spot on. For the first four games, we have looked very similar to a Charlie McBride defense in the 80's and very early 90's when playing Miami or Florida State in a bowl game. We absolutely got torched by their QB and receivers then because we simply lacked their speed. The reason LeVonte David was a beast at LB was because of his speed. Even though Bo commented time and time again how many times he screwed up, he quite simply made the play and was our best defender. Probably my favorite LB to ever play for Nebraska was Farley. The guy could absolutely get with it.

Why do fans live in this black hole of unhappiness anytime it's obvious their team probably isn't a national title contender or even a legitimate conference title contender? I can understand being disappointed, and I believe there's always room for criticism at times like this. But, we only get football once a year. Do some of you really want to spend it not even being interested or pumped up for what happens on Saturdays?

Besides, it's not like we're 2-10 and facing the worst Husker season in the last five decades. We're still in a really good position to get to 8 wins or better. How can anyone already be that down only four games into the season?

If you can't get pumped at this point in the season then you certainly don't deserve to be pumped when the program is doing well. Leave your garbage on the curb.

• Fire 5

Why do fans live in this black hole of unhappiness anytime it's obvious their team probably isn't a national title contender or even a legitimate conference title contender? I can understand being disappointed, and I believe there's always room for criticism at times like this. But, we only get football once a year. Do some of you really want to spend it not even being interested or pumped up for what happens on Saturdays?

Besides, it's not like we're 2-10 and facing the worst Husker season in the last five decades. We're still in a really good position to get to 8 wins or better. How can anyone already be that down only four games into the season?

If you can't get pumped at this point in the season then you certainly don't deserve to be pumped when the program is doing well. Leave your garbage on the curb.

No truer words have ever been spoken.