Freedom v Gangwish

Freedom moved into that position. McMullen, I mean, look at his play. Looks more like an inside guy anyway. And really, it's just part of a rotation as to how they *might* use him.

Said Banker: "Who knows? It's fascinating, a little bit to think everybody's healthy. But we could have a lineup w/ Maliek (Collins) & Greg (McMullen) at the tackles and (Jack) Gangwish and Freedom out at the ends."http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/practice-report-sept-nu-s-defense-seeking-to-be-more/article_ec948d00-6635-11e5-8139-3769536e6e42.html

Think we're jumping the gun a little trying to find a critical angle in this.

I think they mean most likely on passing downs. Moving McMullen inside to get your best four pass rushers in the game makes sense. I doubt it is a move for that is for every down. He is a very good run stopping end.

Like i said in a status. Watching McMullens effor thus far this year, its extremely significant to note that he visited Bo prior spring. Is what is. But its such a lack of options at end.

What's all this then? First I've heard of it.

He visited Bo and his former teammates - true enough
McMullen is from Ohio. He probably made a trip home and spent a night with friends and former teammates. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Never said it was, you may be absolutely right.

Wow let's pump the brakes on implying anything with McMullen visiting Bo. The insinuation is that McMullen is intentionally sandbagging because of some Bo Pelini influence. I wouldn't expect such a conspiracy from either guy, and I'd need more than a little proof to believe it.

We have no idea what kind of relationship Bo & McMullen have. Maybe it's deeper than football. Maybe McMullen needed something and Bo could provide it. Who knows, and really, who cares?

To go from an offseason get-together to any kind of "dogging it" implication is way too far to go. Let's let that idea just die, mmmkay?

I agree totally, I just confirmed what was posted.

Wow let's pump the brakes on implying anything with McMullen visiting Bo. The insinuation is that McMullen is intentionally sandbagging because of some Bo Pelini influence. I wouldn't expect such a conspiracy from either guy, and I'd need more than a little proof to believe it.We have no idea what kind of relationship Bo & McMullen have. Maybe it's deeper than football. Maybe McMullen needed something and Bo could provide it. Who knows, and really, who cares?To go from an offseason get-together to any kind of "dogging it" implication is way too far to go. Let's let that idea just die, mmmkay?

im not insinuating to that extreme. But the guys not putting in necessary effort. Its obvious. Just watch. Its every play. He went and saw Bo in spring. Thats significant to me. He shows up overweight. So the offseason effort isnt there. Now. Its not a horrible thing. Its his perogative. He can do what he wishes. But its obvious his heart is not in this thing with the new staff. Why assume that? He visited his old coach 6 months ago. So be it. But theres nothin wrong with pointing it out. And at this point if his desire and effort dont ridiculously improve, its time to sit. Im not condemning the guy. Im calling like it is based on facts. Like when i called Gangwish a mediocre DE. Its not hate. Its observation. Now i cant wait for gamgwish to return. Which shows how lacking Mcmullens effort is and how thin the position is.

Basically, mcmullen is probably having a lot of doubts about whats going on. It is what it is. And i fully suspect about half the team is as well. Hell. Look how polarizing and divisive Pelini has been amongst the fans. I guarantee therr are issues in the lockerroom as well thats contributing to this teams obvious lack of mental toughness.

Alex lewis. Greg mcmullen. Its there. And its just a common byproduct of a coaching change. Basically just a big excuse for Riley. Just like we did for Bo and for Callahan.

I would challenge anyone to go back to watch the USM game, and find a way to explain to me that McMullen is worthy of playing D1 football. No explosion, no effort, you just get very little from trotting him out there.

Case in point - Southern Miss OT blocks down on Maliek at one point, leaving McMullen free. McMullen is so slow, and trying so little on a play that the OT still has time to recover from the down block and push McMullen wide on his rush.

Honestly, Ross Dzuris should be playing more over McMullen at this point. Dzuris is short on talent for this level, but at least he gives complete effort out there.

• Fire 2

im not insinuating to that extreme. But the guys not putting in necessary effort. Its obvious. Just watch. Its every play. He went and saw Bo in spring. Thats significant to me. He shows up overweight. So the offseason effort isnt there. Now. Its not a horrible thing. Its his perogative. He can do what he wishes. But its obvious his heart is not in this thing with the new staff. Why assume that? He visited his old coach 6 months ago. So be it. But theres nothin wrong with pointing it out. And at this point if his desire and effort dont ridiculously improve, its time to sit. Im not condemning the guy. Im calling like it is based on facts. Like when i called Gangwish a mediocre DE. Its not hate. Its observation. Now i cant wait for gamgwish to return. Which shows how lacking Mcmullens effort is and how thin the position is.

Basically, mcmullen is probably having a lot of doubts about whats going on. It is what it is. And i fully suspect about half the team is as well. Hell. Look how polarizing and divisive Pelini has been amongst the fans. I guarantee therr are issues in the lockerroom as well thats contributing to this teams obvious lack of mental toughness.

Alex lewis. Greg mcmullen. Its there. And its just a common byproduct of a coaching change. Basically just a big excuse for Riley. Just like we did for Bo and for Callahan.

I would challenge anyone to go back to watch the USM game, and find a way to explain to me that McMullen is worthy of playing D1 football. No explosion, no effort, you just get very little from trotting him out there.

Case in point - Southern Miss OT blocks down on Maliek at one point, leaving McMullen free. McMullen is so slow, and trying so little on a play that the OT still has time to recover from the down block and push McMullen wide on his rush.

Honestly, Ross Dzuris should be playing more over McMullen at this point. Dzuris is short on talent for this level, but at least he gives complete effort out there.

This staff needs to light a fire under McMullen. I think he has enough talent to be a force on the D-line. Not sure about his footspeed, but he has the strength to push people around. When he's so inclined, that is. If he just had the aggressiveness and motor of Gangwish. Or even Dzuris. As it is, he might be getting fewer snaps as the other guys start outshining him. :dunno:

Wow let's pump the brakes on implying anything with McMullen visiting Bo. The insinuation is that McMullen is intentionally sandbagging because of some Bo Pelini influence. I wouldn't expect such a conspiracy from either guy, and I'd need more than a little proof to believe it.We have no idea what kind of relationship Bo & McMullen have. Maybe it's deeper than football. Maybe McMullen needed something and Bo could provide it. Who knows, and really, who cares?To go from an offseason get-together to any kind of "dogging it" implication is way too far to go. Let's let that idea just die, mmmkay?

There's no other way to connect the dots you're laying down than to create a picture of McMullen giving less than 100% effort because of something to do with Bo.

McMullen may have visited with Bo during the offseason.

McMullen may not be performing to the best of his abilities right now.

I would just caution linking those two very disparate things, for obvious reasons. I don't think you're throwing mud at McMullen, but others with less integrity might.

• Fire 1

There's no other way to connect the dots you're laying down than to create a picture of McMullen giving less than 100% effort because of something to do with Bo.

McMullen may have visited with Bo during the offseason.

McMullen may not be performing to the best of his abilities right now.

I would just caution linking those two very disparate things, for obvious reasons. I don't think you're throwing mud at McMullen, but others with less integrity might.

I think it'd be incredibly unfair to all parties involved to imply that McMullen's recent slow play and lack of motor are in any way intentional. It does seem to me like his fire isn't stoked at the moment, but if you've ever been through a big leadership change at work, it can leave everyone in a "funk" for quite some time. It's just psychology. Some people can handle changes like this without missing a beat, but some people need to feel comfortable and "normal" to function at 100%. If some players still feel like things are strange and new, they're not going to be playing at 100% yet. Some players are there already (Tommy, Westy, Freedom), some players aren't quite there yet but are getting close, and some players might not get there before they graduate.

But something's clearly off with McMullen right now, and I hope he can get it fixed and soon. Just rewatching the USM game, he was relatively in position but look at how he get's blown off the line on USM's first score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiRCzXXade4?t=1h12m23s

EDIT: how do you embed youtube videos?

Gotta wonder if he was kinda irked about Gangwish being a captain given that McMullen has been the starter for 2-3 years now.

All those little things can play part, not saying it's part of it, but it's worth thinking about. Maybe McMullen has some angst toward his teammates for not voting him captain? I have no clue, just a passing thought reading through the thread

It's kind of crazy to speculate that a player is out there tanking it rather than taking pride in playing for Nebraska. But if the effort or level of play isn't there, then there needs to be a change, right? If the defense needs a player out there who competes with fire and this is lacking, then a switch should be made. If they're fine with his role or can carve out a new one for him, great. If not, fair's fair.

The more film I watch on McMullen, the more I realize how little he helps the defense. Valentine needs to get healthy and Greg should find a nice spot on the bench.

Do you really sit down and watch film on the Huskers?

Its really video, but that is progress for ya. Those new fangled contraptions just keep popping up everywhere.

It's kind of crazy to speculate that a player is out there tanking it rather than taking pride in playing for Nebraska. But if the effort or level of play isn't there, then there needs to be a change, right? If the defense needs a player out there who competes with fire and this is lacking, then a switch should be made. If they're fine with his role or can carve out a new one for him, great. If not, fair's fair.

Its sad and scary that the coaches don't feel they have any other scholarship players they can trust to play, without thinking of burning a redshirt to fix it.