And people wonder why the US is so divided

Obama's opponents have chirped for years that this or that statement he made was the wrong, inappropriate thing for a President to say. These are the same opponents who support the tactic of pulling out all the stops for the sake of obstruction and then claiming they are the victims of a lack of cooperation.

You'll have to forgive me for being totally inured to this stuff. I don't think I'm alone.

• Fire 1

and if you can't even admit that, you are so biased it's hard to accept anything you might say

this coming from a guy who has been proven wrong and incorrect on many occasions and keeps wildly backpedaling and shifting discussion

don't take my word for it? here, let me show you:

In fact, he's done much of what he wanted, and has bypassed normal processes for more executive orders than I've seen from any other President.

mehta-datalab-executiveorders1.png?w=165

• Fire 3

Obama's opponents have chirped for years that this or that statement he made was the wrong, inappropriate thing for a President to say. These are the same opponents who support the tactic of pulling out all the stops for the sake of obstruction and then claiming they are the victims of a lack of cooperation.

You'll have to forgive me for being totally inured to this stuff. I don't think I'm alone.

Zoogs-You are missing the entire point again. I'm not stating that only Republicans are right, but that it's the job of the President, regardless of party, to set the tone and help encourage open and fair debate on topics. From Day one that Obama took office, he set a tone that he was going to do things his way, and has rarely reached across the aisle in an honest way to reach consensus. His gun control statement after the Oregon shooting is just one of many examples of him publicly stating his intentions, of which are hard to backpedal from in order to make a deal with the other side. Again, Bill Clinton was able to reach to the other side, so I'm not being partisan about this, but just stating the facts. Gallup has shown that Obama is the most partisan President in US history, and these statements are why. You can continue to point blame at everything and everyone else, but he is the one that made the statements that are being condemned.

As for Landlord's statement of being proven wrong, that if laughable. You are the one that on the prior page of this thread, stated all I was doing was complaining about the President without offering solutions, when just 3 posts before yours I did lay out "solutions" which you chose to ignore. I also offered ideas on how the President can set the tone and improve the process for having fair and honest debate, which again you chose to ignore. Nice try though.

bnilhome -- the impression I've got is that in order for Obama to not be viewed as this extreme partisan, he'd have to do everything the Republicans want.

Previous politicians have fared better, but they didn't deal with this kind of opposition, either. Independent of which party has the better points, wouldn't you agree?

• Fire 3

Zoogs-You are missing the entire point again. I'm not stating that only Republicans are right, but that it's the job of the President, regardless of party, to set the tone and help encourage open and fair debate on topics. From Day one that Obama took office, he set a tone that he was going to do things his way, and has rarely reached across the aisle in an honest way to reach consensus. His gun control statement after the Oregon shooting is just one of many examples of him publicly stating his intentions, of which are hard to backpedal from in order to make a deal with the other side. Again, Bill Clinton was able to reach to the other side, so I'm not being partisan about this, but just stating the facts. Gallup has shown that Obama is the most partisan President in US history, and these statements are why. You can continue to point blame at everything and everyone else, but he is the one that made the statements that are being condemned.

As for Landlord's statement of being proven wrong, that if laughable. You are the one that on the prior page of this thread, stated all I was doing was complaining about the President without offering solutions, when just 3 posts before yours I did lay out "solutions" which you chose to ignore. I also offered ideas on how the President can set the tone and improve the process for having fair and honest debate, which again you chose to ignore. Nice try though.

And...yet....you won't come out and condemn things the Republican leadership has done. You only condemn one side. Welcome to being part of the problem.

• Fire 2

bnilhome -- the impression I've got is that in order for Obama to not be viewed as this extreme partisan, he'd have to do everything the Republicans want.

Previous politicians have fared better, but they didn't deal with this kind of opposition, either. Independent of which party has the better points, wouldn't you agree?

Zoogs-A Good President is one that can bring the country (and both parties) together on key issues, and this does not mean Obama has to do everything Republicans want, but I struggle many issues he has pushed that Republicans have supported. I much prefer the leadership style Bill Clinton employed as I've stated multiple times. He realized the country in the mid-90s was fed up of welfare excess, and rather than going further into his own corner and taking a stand against the newly-elected GOP Congress, he openly and publicly reached out by saying "the era of big government is over", and that set the tone for some great things to happen. We are a center-right nation, and have been for a long-time. Bill Clinton quickly realized that after 2 years in office, and modified his governing approach accordingly.

And...yet....you won't come out and condemn things the Republican leadership has done. You only condemn one side. Welcome to being part of the problem.

BRB-You must honestly not be reading what I am saying. I have said many things that are critical of the Republican leadership. I have been highly critical of Boehner and McConnell for not standing up for what they were elected to do. But I have also stated that it's the opposition of the GOP leadership to offer an alternative to Obamacare if they are/were opposed to it. I've stated that 2 or 3 times throughout many threads. You earlier claimed I wasn't offering solutions to this debate on gun violence, when in fact I had previously.

On the contrary, I've rarely heard you critical of Obama, and mainly just of Republicans. It took about 10 attempts in this thread before you would admit that Obama's language and approach was wrong, and instead of just coming out and calling a spade a spade, you go off on tangents claiming I'm not offering solutions and am never critical of Republicans, which again I've proven otherwise.

BRB-You must honestly not be reading what I am saying. I have said many things that are critical of the Republican leadership. I have been highly critical of Boehner and McConnell for not standing up for what they were elected to do. But I have also stated that it's the opposition of the GOP leadership to offer an alternative to Obamacare if they are/were opposed to it. I've stated that 2 or 3 times throughout many threads. You earlier claimed I wasn't offering solutions to this debate on gun violence, when in fact I had previously.

On the contrary, I've rarely heard you critical of Obama, and mainly just of Republicans. It took about 10 attempts in this thread before you would admit that Obama's language and approach was wrong, and instead of just coming out and calling a spade a spade, you go off on tangents claiming I'm not offering solutions and am never critical of Republicans, which again I've proven otherwise.

You only start threads that attack Obama and what you perceive to be some kind of liberal agenda. You have never started a thread criticizing anything the Republicans have done. So spare everyone with this drivel. Nobody believes it.

BRB, on the other hand, has been highly critical of Obama - for years. Not sure where you were during those conversations, but that's on you, not him.

Post #117 is the first post in this thread that I approached the political side of this issue. In that post I expressly said that BOTH sides are F'ed on this issue. I expressly pointed out why both conservative and liberal arguments on this issue are missing the point by a mile.

You started this thread with the title of "And people wonder why the US is so divided". However, all you did was bitch about one side. Then, in your response to my post #117 where I said that both sides are F'ed up, you specifically tried to tie it back to just one side by blaming the President for pretty much everything on the issue. You agreed it was a cultural issue and then the next paragraph you try to blame it all on the President.

If, by solutions, you think what you listed in post #124 are solutions...they aren't. All they are is saying...wait a few days and then call for having a bunch of meetings. That isn't solutions. That's what government does already on just about every subject.

The question is, if you were in these meetings, what would you suggest be done about gun violence. THAT is where the solution is.

You only start threads that attack Obama and what you perceive to be some kind of liberal agenda. You have never started a thread criticizing anything the Republicans have done. So spare everyone with this drivel. Nobody believes it.

BRB, on the other hand, has been highly critical of Obama - for years. Not sure where you were during those conversations, but that's on you, not him.

For starters, I have not started many threads, and only do so on topics I feel are outrageous. There is nothing in a forum like this which states that, to make a point, you have to completely toe the line and always equally criticize both sides equally. The Oregon shooting elicited an emotional reaction for all of us, but it was the President's emotional reaction that, instead of bringing all Americans together to mourn the wounded and share in their feelings, instead took the time to "politicize" the tragedy. I don't recall any American President after any horrible tragedy making a statement within hours that he wanted to politicize the tragedy. You can bring up every other topic and situation that has or has not been said by members of both parties, but that is digressing from the focus of this thread.

Here is an honest, open question for you. I know I have not been on the political thread as long as you, but in the time I have been here, I have not seen you endorse or support a Conservative view, or take a harsh stand against Obama. If you have, please just point me in that direction.

Post #117 is the first post in this thread that I approached the political side of this issue. In that post I expressly said that BOTH sides are F'ed on this issue. I expressly pointed out why both conservative and liberal arguments on this issue are missing the point by a mile.

You started this thread with the title of "And people wonder why the US is so divided". However, all you did was bitch about one side. Then, in your response to my post #117 where I said that both sides are F'ed up, you specifically tried to tie it back to just one side by blaming the President for pretty much everything on the issue. You agreed it was a cultural issue and then the next paragraph you try to blame it all on the President.

If, by solutions, you think what you listed in post #124 are solutions...they aren't. All they are is saying...wait a few days and then call for having a bunch of meetings. That isn't solutions. That's what government does already on just about every subject.

The question is, if you were in these meetings, what would you suggest be done about gun violence. THAT is where the solution is.

The focus of this thread was an example of why polls show Obama is the most partisan President in US History, and why this country is more divided now than ever. If you don't agree that the country is that divided, so be it. I've said many times that both parties are at fault, but again, as I've stated over and over, the President is the ultimate leader of this country, the one that gets more votes than any other elected official, and he is the one that should be setting the tone, regardless of how immature others are around him. He campaigned to be a unifier in 2008...that was a main part of his appeal. I would be just as critical of a GOP President if they politicized a tragedy, but considering we don't have a GOP President right now, it's hard to be equally critical as you seem to think is a requirement.

As for my post, it was post 138 where I offered a specific solution to the problem of deaths in school settings caused by guns. I also offered examples of how the process and tone could have been handled better. Do you not agree that post 138 offered a specific solution?

And,the point of my posts are to disagree with your comment that Obama is the most partisan President in US history.

What I'm saying is that the country is extremely divided right now not just because of Obama but because of both sides and the republican leadership is just as much to blame.

Sorry you can't see that.

And,the point of my posts are to disagree with your comment that Obama is the most partisan President in US history.

What I'm saying is that the country is extremely divided right now not just because of Obama but because of both sides and the republican leadership is just as much to blame.

Sorry you can't see that.

The part about him being the most Partisan President is a fact according to Gallup and other polling outlets. I do hold Congressional leadership responsible too, but let me ask you this:

1. When there is a tragedy like this shooting in Oregon, a major tornado that has ripped through a community, etc..., which elected official is usually asked to go and help heal the community?

2. When there is a conference at the UN with other countries leaders presenting, who from the US typically speaks on behalf of America?

3. When there is a major foreign policy decision to go to war or consider going to war, who speaks to the American people on this topic?

You seem to miss the point that of all 539 elected officials at the federal level, there is one, and only one, that has more power and ability to influence the tone and dialogue in the nation, regardless of party.