Coaches lost this game

This wasn't on the coaches. The 3rd down call was a good one and Armstrong f'd it up. I will say the 4th down call was a joke and we should have kicked the FG. Gerry is who f'd up letting a receiver get behind him. To say this is on the coaches is a joke.

Oh my god. This was all coaching. They blew it and blew hard.

Fellas, they both contributed mightily. Stupid calls over and over. Lousy execution over and over. From Q1 to the very end.

I'm usually very hesitant when it comes to criticizing playcalling and coaching decisions, but, I hit the wall today and have to be honest. That was some of the worst playcalling I have ever seen at this program. And not just the last series - the whole game.

Fellow fans, at one point in the game we were averaging 7 yards per carry. Just let that sink in. 7 yards per carry.

Yet, we elected to throw the ball downfield multiple times in difficult situations. 31 times we through the ball, and about 21 of those were wasted plays because they fell incomplete. Let that sink in, too. We had about 21 plays that literally meant nothing.

I'm also not the type of person that sits here and boldly proclaims "run the damn ball!" without any situation awareness, either. But, today was one of those days. You have Tommy throw five or six less times this game and I'm 99.9% confident we win.

• Fire 1

All I can say is, this season is lost. Tried hard to get behind this staff, but looks like Riley is a .500 coach. The facilities aren't going to help him get better players, with what he is showing on the field.

Time to start looking for a new coach in a couple of years. Neb can't afford to fire him for awhile.

GBR!!!

Can't afford it? You are crazy.

We had to buy out the last two coaches. Don't think the Admin will go for it, any time soon. Does the univ have the money, yes, won't go over big if they do it again. That's all I mean.

GBR!!!

I'm not sure we should fire him, but if we got 2-10 or 3-9 he will be gone. No questions asked by admin because Eichorst will be gone with him.
Hell.

Maybe Dr. Tom will throw us another bone and be the next chancellor.

Talk about having the last laugh.

While it's true that both of his choices for HC were not great, I think that we should have a little more respect for everything the man did for this program, university, and state.

As long as he has NOTHING to do with hiring HC's, I am ok with that.

Yeah, screw that whole winning 70%+ plus of your games. No blow outs tho.

My whole point was that maybe, just maybe, Dr. Tom knows a little bit more about football and how tough it is to win here than the average fan.

I could be wrong tho.

While it's true that both of his choices for HC were not great, I think that we should have a little more respect for everything the man did for this program, university, and state.

At least Osborne's hires knew you had to run the ball to win. We now have two Osborne hires and two non-Osborne hires......which two look better?

I'm seeing a couple of camps, the anti TO camps that backed Callahan and Riley and loved the west coast offense, and the other camp that was cool with sticking to tradition and was ok with winning, even if it wasn't pretty or great.

Two sad things about the state of Husker football:

1. There was one thing I thought these coaches brought to the table, which is one thing I thought was holding Nebraska back. I thought we would stop being the stupidest team I have ever seen in situational aspects of this game, and would end the days of being our own worst enemy. This game showed clearly, that these coaches years of experience means nothing to that aspect. I don't care if this is your first year of your 40th, you don't manage the clock at the end of the game like that unless you are seriously overwhelmed, out of your league, and dwarfed by the situation. Riley, and more importantly Langsdorf, displayed incompetence and lack of composure that I've only seen once before here, by the previous staff.

2. After we failed to run the clock down and looked like a clusterf#@k of a football team giving Illinois the ball back, I knew we were gonna lose. I knew it. There wasn't a doubt in my mind Illinois would score those points and win that game. That in itself is sad, but true.

• Fire 2

All I can say is, this season is lost. Tried hard to get behind this staff, but looks like Riley is a .500 coach. The facilities aren't going to help him get better players, with what he is showing on the field.

Time to start looking for a new coach in a couple of years. Neb can't afford to fire him for awhile.

GBR!!!

We had to buy out the last two coaches. Don't think the Admin will go for it, any time soon. Does the univ have the money, yes, won't go over big if they do it again. That's all I mean.

GBR!!!

I'm not sure we should fire him, but if we got 2-10 or 3-9 he will be gone. No questions asked by admin because Eichorst will be gone with him.

Hell.

Except that both his choices for HC were great. Look at all-time historical records for CFB coaches. Frank and Bo are right up there with the best of them for their first 6 years. Go ahead and make a list of all the CFB coaches that did better than Frank and Bo in their first 6 years. It's a very small list.

GBR!!!

GBR!!!

Hell.

Except that both his choices for HC were great. Look at all-time historical records for CFB coaches. Frank and Bo are right up there with the best of them for their first 6 years. Go ahead and make a list of all the CFB coaches that did better than Frank and Bo in their first 6 years. It's a very small list.

Statistically, you may be correct.

But the eye test tells us differently.

They were both good, maybe very good.

Great......I would disagree.

What does 408 mean?

It is what a few posters use when referring to Pelini, specifically the 408 yards rushing put up by Melvin Gordon against a Pelini coached defense. They believe this sums up Pelini.

It is now also a sarcastic comment used by those tired of hearing it.

What does 408 mean?

It is what a few posters use when referring to Pelini, specifically the 408 yards rushing put up by Melvin Gordon against a Pelini coached defense. They believe this sums up Pelini.

It is now also a sarcastic comment used by those tired of hearing it.

Well, since 9 wins are built into the schedule, when well we get those 9 wins?

1. There was one thing I thought these coaches brought to the table, which is one thing I thought was holding Nebraska back. I thought we would stop being the stupidest team I have ever seen in situational aspects of this game, and would end the days of being our own worst enemy. This game showed clearly, that these coaches years of experience means nothing to that aspect. I don't care if this is your first year of your 40th, you don't manage the clock at the end of the game like that unless you are seriously overwhelmed, out of your league, and dwarfed by the situation. Riley, and more importantly Langsdorf, displayed incompetence and lack of composure that I've only seen once before here, by the previous staff.

2. After we failed to run the clock down and looked like a clusterf#@k of a football team giving Illinois the ball back, I knew we were gonna lose. I knew it. There wasn't a doubt in my mind Illinois would score those points and win that game. That in itself is sad, but true.

:yeah +1 ...and the worst part about #2 was the feeling that MR is losing this team. What A.Lewis did wasn't great but he wouldn't have pulled the fire alarm if there wasn't smoke in the room.

I'm pretty sure this post sums up a lot of the feeling of the fans. The last two play calls were just jaw dropping, given that two run plays would give Illinois the ball back with on or about 15 seconds. It was unbelievable to see that type of play calling and confusion unfold in the way it did. Literally taking a knee twice would have done worlds better than whatever the coaches were trying to accomplish here.

And on the 2nd point, I believe you have described something that I've been struggling to articulate to my buckeye friends for so long. When Ohio State has their backs against the wall, you just know...you get the feeling many plays ahead that a defender will step up and make a play to end the game. For Nebraska, you just knew once our coaches botched all that was able to be botched, you just knew we would lose. Even when it was Illinois...I had no hope whatsoever that anyone would step up and make a play. It was over the second that ball dropped on 4th down. No doubt in my mind. No matter how well the defense played prior to that play. It was over before they took the field for one last stop. Such is the intangible state of Husker football today. And it is sad really.

• Fire 1

Yep I'm completely with you here. I figured with an experienced staff we would no longer lose by shooting ourselves in the foot, the penalties would go down and there would be better clock management. This is by far the worst coaching I've ever seen.

Really good post. "There wasn't a doubt in my mind" was the same feeling I had against BYU. We had so many opportunities to win against BYU that when we could not end that game I had no doubt we would lose. It was really surreal calling the hail mary pass before it happened. I don't think I ever have expected a hail mary to be completed but had no doubt it would at that point. It was like, "yep, knew it" and those watching the game with me were stunned like "damn, you know you team well". This has to change and we need to take games away from the opponent instead of letting them take them from us.