Take the screw Bo element out of it...

Redux

If we forget about the screw Bo portion of the Riley hire, let us consider where we are right now.

We lost to BYU in our opener. A BYU team that we thought was pretty great, now realistically is closer to not having any wins than being undefeated.

We beat a South Alabama team that hung 300 yards passing on us. Something that frankly should be inexcusable. Had Bo done that, we would have hung him.

We lost to Miami on the road by one point. Nevermind the fact we trailed by like 23 points. It took them letting off the gas to let us back in to make the game pretend acceptable. Cane fans still want Golden fired. We are the only team they have looked good against.

We led S.Miss 22-0 in the first half. They almost hung on to beat us in the second half. Another 300 yard passing day for a glorified FCS team.

And then today. We led 13-0 at the half then managed to lose 14-13. Illinois is a penciled in win for most Big Ten teams. They fired their coach earlier in the year, an interim beat us. Wes Lunt looked like Joe Bauserman. Our vaunted offense scored once today and never in the second half. We are 2-3 for the first time in like 50 years.

So what is the consensus? I don't give two craps about Bo's recruiting. This is Mike Riley's team now. We hear how great he is at developing lower talent, yet now it's because Bo handcuffed him. Total cop out. Now he may be throwing his QB under the bus to save face? A captain is taunting the fans after a loss. We are dead last against the pass. Penalties are a joke. Clock management is a joke. Game management is atrocious. We refuse to establish a running game. Our remaining schedule is looking like murderers row, we may not win more than one more game this season.

I understand transition and growing pains and what not. But give me a break. A first time head coach in 2008 came in and won 9 games with recruits that may have been good but had no clue what they were doing. I would think a coach with decades of experience could come in and make half competent players perform at a halfway decent level.

There is no excuse for this. Throw the cookie cutter lines in the trash where they belong. Lets be real here. This staff is not clicking with the players. Hell this staff doesn't seem to be clicking with itself. We had a friggin soccer coach of a defensive coordinator last year and I felt better when the "blackshirts" took the field. Riley supposedly plays up to his competition yet so far we are playing down to teams we can beat. Bo needed to go, but I have 0 doubt he could have beaten freaking Interim Head Coach, Crappy Wes Lunt, Backup Running Back llinois. This team is in trouble. Sky is falling and whatever. I don't expect a winning record, I don't expect a staff change at any position. I just hope that this embarassment we have endured thus far is actually building towards something next year, because if this continues, next year is all this staff has.

• Fire 5

Well im sorry, but when youre talking about circumstances of 5 games into a new coach's first season, it's hard to do without involving the last guy and the things he did and didnt do

These coaches only had 8 weeks with the team prior to the first game. I think the new ncaa rules allow 2 hours a week in the offseason now? This is my rebuttal to the development comment. it doesnt happen overnight. Esp since you mention Bo's lack of recruiting and this being Riley's team now. At a lot of places it does. When you have lots of talent in place like at a Bama, Florida, Ohio St., Auburn, etc. And at places where players consensusly have zero issues with the previous guy being let go. Neither is the case here.

We win next week and we're in the same position as we were in '08. 3-3. Since we want to leave Bo out of it and all.

Riley's probably not the guy. I wanted to blindly support but mainly cuz I have this notion that we could win nine games in this forsaken conference with any sort of coach. it was just my thought since that bullsh#t number seemed to be this forsaken standard of support all a sudden. But as each week goes by I see a mentally weak team. A group of players that are just fried psychologically over what has transpired over the last year. Frankly, as long as it's gonna take to right it, and as bad as it's gonna get before hand, Riley wont be given that much time. Whether or not he deserves, I dont know. But the massive failure in simple basics of game management these first 5 games tells me he doesnt. But he's here for this year. And next year as well. And i'm a Nebraska supporter. Not a particular coach supporter. I support what I think is best for the program. And I honestly dont know what that could be right now.

If we forget about the screw Bo portion of the Riley hire, let us consider where we are right now.

We lost to BYU in our opener. A BYU team that we thought was pretty great, now realistically is closer to not having any wins than being undefeated.

We beat a South Alabama team that hung 300 yards passing on us. Something that frankly should be inexcusable. Had Bo done that, we would have hung him.

We lost to Miami on the road by one point. Nevermind the fact we trailed by like 23 points. It took them letting off the gas to let us back in to make the game pretend acceptable. Cane fans still want Golden fired. We are the only team they have looked good against.

We led S.Miss 22-0 in the first half. They almost hung on to beat us in the second half. Another 300 yard passing day for a glorified FCS team.

And then today. We led 13-0 at the half then managed to lose 14-13. Illinois is a penciled in win for most Big Ten teams. They fired their coach earlier in the year, an interim beat us. Wes Lunt looked like Joe Bauserman. Our vaunted offense scored once today and never in the second half. We are 2-3 for the first time in like 50 years.

So what is the consensus? I don't give two craps about Bo's recruiting. This is Mike Riley's team now. We hear how great he is at developing lower talent, yet now it's because Bo handcuffed him. Total cop out. Now he may be throwing his QB under the bus to save face? A captain is taunting the fans after a loss. We are dead last against the pass. Penalties are a joke. Clock management is a joke. Game management is atrocious. We refuse to establish a running game. Our remaining schedule is looking like murderers row, we may not win more than one more game this season.

I understand transition and growing pains and what not. But give me a break. A first time head coach in 2008 came in and won 9 games with recruits that may have been good but had no clue what they were doing. I would think a coach with decades of experience could come in and make half competent players perform at a halfway decent level.

There is no excuse for this. Throw the cookie cutter lines in the trash where they belong. Lets be real here. This staff is not clicking with the players. Hell this staff doesn't seem to be clicking with itself. We had a friggin soccer coach of a defensive coordinator last year and I felt better when the "blackshirts" took the field. Riley supposedly plays up to his competition yet so far we are playing down to teams we can beat. Bo needed to go, but I have 0 doubt he could have beaten freaking Interim Head Coach, Crappy Wes Lunt, Backup Running Back llinois. This team is in trouble. Sky is falling and whatever. I don't expect a winning record, I don't expect a staff change at any position. I just hope that this embarassment we have endured thus far is actually building towards something next year, because if this continues, next year is all this staff has.

Good point OP.

I completely forgot that Illinois lost their starting running back early in the game.

Well im sorry, but when youre talking about circumstances of 5 games into a new coach's first season, it's hard to do without involving the last guy and the things he did and didnt do

These coaches only had 8 weeks with the team prior to the first game. I think the new ncaa rules allow 2 hours a week in the offseason now? This is my rebuttal to the development comment. it doesnt happen overnight. Esp since you mention Bo's lack of recruiting and this being Riley's team now. At a lot of places it does. When you have lots of talent in place like at a Bama, Florida, Ohio St., Auburn, etc. And at places where players consensusly have zero issues with the previous guy being let go. Neither is the case here.

We win next week and we're in the same position as we were in '08. 3-3. Since we want to leave Bo out of it and all.

Riley's probably not the guy. I wanted to blindly support but mainly cuz I have this notion that we could win nine games in this forsaken conference with any sort of coach. it was just my thought since that bullsh#t number seemed to be this forsaken standard of support all a sudden. But as each week goes by I see a mentally weak team. A group of players that are just fried psychologically over what has transpired over the last year. Frankly, as long as it's gonna take to right it, and as bad as it's gonna get before hand, Riley wont be given that much time. Whether or not he deserves, I dont know. But the massive failure in simple basics of game management these first 5 games tells me he doesnt. But he's here for this year. And next year as well. And i'm a Nebraska supporter. Not a particular coach supporter. I support what I think is best for the program. And I honestly dont know what that could be right now.

Bo also took over a 5-7 team. Not a 9-4 team. After what I've seen early on this is a different feel. I can't name one thing this team does well besides losing close games.

• Penalties galore
  • Worst pass D in the nation
  • Refuse to run the ball
  • No identity on offense
  • DBs always in 1 on 1 situations. Also never jam and play way too far off the ball
  • Zero clock management skills
  • Coaches and players show no intensity

Sounds like a disaster to me.

Bo took over a 5-7 team with boatloads of talent and went 9-4 as a first time head coach. Riley took over a 9-4 team with some good talent and is on pace for 5-7 maybe worse.

It's a legit argument.

Until you consider this tam handled Illinois fairly easily last year.

2014 Nebraska is 5-7 against the '07 schedule as well. Lots of speculation there obviously. But it's my opinion.

And like I said. The psychological circumstances are night and day different. I would say it was easy for Bo to come in in '08 and say what they were doing wasnt working. And watching that '07 team, it was pretty easy to see they had all given up on what was going on as well. Esp from a defensive standpoint.