Answer this truthfully!

eoltmer

We haven't had the answer at head coach since 1997.

I think everyone would agree Frank being fired was a joke. 58-19 record with seasons of 12-1, 10-2, 11-2 (went to NC).

All I want is a conference championship. 16 years is unacceptable

Frank's record wasn't the problem. His off field issues and lack of recruiting was. If he was as good as we want to think ghe could have been, why is he still at Ohio?
Frank's only off field issue was Steve Pederson. The rest was propaganda spread by the same Steve Pederson. And Frank was a good recruiter. He had top ten classes in 2000 and 2001, and his '04 class was ranked #14 on Rivals the day he was canned.
Again, then why wasn't he snatched away from Ohio like 10 years ago?
Same could be said about Riley.

Riley was interviewed by UCLA and Alabama. Who has Frank been interviewed by?

Not sure, so you're saying that Riley got an interview, but no offer?

I tried to find some proof of these programs that offered jobs to Riley. I found articles where his name was mentioned in coaching searches, but nothing stating that he was offered the job and declined. I could be wrong so any help would be appreciated.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't both Florida and Bama blow out top 10 teams tonight?

In all my years, I've never seen a column in the win loss record for blowout losses. I could be seeing things improperly, even though I do have 20/10 vision.

Anyhow, 2 and 3 against unranked teams.

Any way you try to slice that.....it's not good.

You are completely correct

I think everyone would agree Frank being fired was a joke. 58-19 record with seasons of 12-1, 10-2, 11-2 (went to NC).

Frank's record wasn't the problem. His off field issues and lack of recruiting was. If he was as good as we want to think ghe could have been, why is he still at Ohio?
Frank's only off field issue was Steve Pederson. The rest was propaganda spread by the same Steve Pederson. And Frank was a good recruiter. He had top ten classes in 2000 and 2001, and his '04 class was ranked #14 on Rivals the day he was canned.
Again, then why wasn't he snatched away from Ohio like 10 years ago?
Same could be said about Riley.

Riley was interviewed by UCLA and Alabama. Who has Frank been interviewed by?

Not sure, so you're saying that Riley got an interview, but no offer?

I tried to find some proof of these programs that offered jobs to Riley. I found articles where his name was mentioned in coaching searches, but nothing stating that he was offered the job and declined. I could be wrong so any help would be appreciated.

The best post of the thread. No one, not one article, not one newsprint can ever confirm this ridiculous claim. He turned down 3 mil a year at Alabama, and USC? Give me break, it never happened folks. He interviewed wasn't hired, sorry that's the truth.

I just want a competitive team to start. I can handle losses. When you lose by 1 or by a Hail Mary you still look like you belong on the same field as your opponent.

When you lose by 40 and give up 408 rushing to one player in 3 quarters, not so much.

I'm a patient guy. I can handle losing if it looks like we improve year over year to get back to where we once were.

When you lose by 40 and give up 408 rushing to one player in 3 quarters, not so much.

That was embarrassing.

The clock and time out management displayed but the current staff is every bit as embarrassing and even more inexcusable than 408.

I think we have to agree to disagree. Giving up that many yards to a single player not playing QB in only 3 quarters of play is about as low as you can go. Our only saving grace for that was the record was broken the following week.

Still trying to figure out what you see in Callahan AF? He basically ran our program into the ground but you still have a huge man crush on him. The guy is a used car salesman.

That is what you don't get, Frank is the one who ran the program into the ground. I am just stating facts on the subject, to be honest I don't think we have had a good coach since Tom left. Just because I don't ignorantly demonize him for stuff he didn't do doesn't mean that i have a man crush on him. I hold each HC accountable for what they didn't do on their own account.

Again under Callahan's terrible coaching Dailey struggled. Even with all the world class talent you think he brought in he still couldn't win. That the sign of a bad coach.

Dailey struggled everywhere he went because he was not a Div 1 caliber QB and should have never had a scholarship at NU in the first place.

Dailey wasn't a dropback passer. He was a runner with a much better arm than Jamaal Lord. He would've done very well in Frank's offense.

You have a bad case of cognitive dissonance due to your haterd of Frank. You were so invested in thinking Frank was horrible, that you don't even have 20/20 hindsight any more. Looking at what we've been through since Frank was canned, how can any sane person still believe that Frank was a bad coach? He had one bad season, which was long overdue. And it still wasn't a losing season. He righted the ship and would've continued to improve. I won't try to convince you any more, though. Your psyche won't allow your brain to process the actual facts and evidence. You've convinced yourself that your incorrect analysis of Frank was spot on. It's an interesting case study of fan psychology. And rest assured, you are not alone.

Answer the following honestly: Would you view a .600 annual season record were your only loses of the season by less than 7 points each game a success or a failure?

Now would you view a .750 annual season record with your loses being blowouts on a consistent basis a success or failure?

This is the conundrum that this program is at. I don't pretend to know the future but having experience coaching I am willing to give Reily his contract to work towards improving. There is deep underlying issues with this program that will take more than 1 season to cure. I'll watch to see if we can get constant progress this year as the expectations have been lowered by the early losses. The product on the field is what I'll evaluate at seasons end. As always GBR!

Are you comparing the records of Pelini and Riley, because if you are it doesn't seem like an airtight analogy? Riley has been beaten by teams we should've beat. And where did the .600 record come from? Be truthful in your response.

Frank's off field issues including too many 'cover up' problems with his drinking and driving and cheerleader fetish were major but his recruiting led to his losing football games. The final season was purely 'better' out of luck and scheduling happenstance. His team finished 7-7 with a win in the Shrieveport LA bowl (nameless). He fired the Osborne staff which was basically what he had relied upon to carry the team. He was fair at play calling but had Ron Brown's help as well. His biggest problem because the off field had been carefully kept quiet was a nearly non-existent recruiting. He turned down more 4 or 5 star talent than he recruited. Nebraska got more calls from kids who wanted to come to Lincoln than Frank ever called. The Osborne legacy was totally squandered by Frank. It is sad to say these things because Frank was a Husker tried and true for all of his adult life (though he didn't act like an adult the older he got). Frank was popular - just not Head Coach material.

• Fire 1

Answer the following honestly: Would you view a .600 annual season record were your only loses of the season by less than 7 points each game a success or a failure?

Now would you view a .750 annual season record with your loses being blowouts on a consistent basis a success or failure?

This is the conundrum that this program is at. I don't pretend to know the future but having experience coaching I am willing to give Reily his contract to work towards improving. There is deep underlying issues with this program that will take more than 1 season to cure. I'll watch to see if we can get constant progress this year as the expectations have been lowered by the early losses. The product on the field is what I'll evaluate at seasons end. As always GBR!

Both scenarios are failures. We should be better.

Exactly. Both of those scenarios are unacceptable