Riley/Langsdorf's Offense is Callahan 2.0

And it could be a case of our running backs struggling to be consistently productive right now. I hope those are what it is.

We are currently #23 in the country in yards per rushing attempt at 5.4. Newby is averaging 5.5, Janovich is at 6.9, Ozigbo is at 8.2. How much more consistent do we have to be?

That alone, about makes me want to completely give up on this staff........ So much for our new metrics guys........

• Fire 1

I find it comical that people use Callahan and Cozgrove as their examples of poor offense and defense when Bill's offense was better than Frank's or Bo's and Bo's defenses put of 7 of the top 10 worst performances in school history. That doesn't mean that Bill/Coz didn't suck but I find it funny that just because TO picked Frank and Bo that they get a pass. When the truth is that all three sucked (with most of the blame going to Frank for putting us in this situation in the first place) and it isn't looking good for this staff at the present time either.

the current defensive staff's statistics are actually far worse then Cosgrove's. How was that possible? Tommy with his inconsistency and all still makes these offensive coaches look better then they are.

I am not happy that Riley threw Tommy under the bus over that third down play. If he only wanted to run the ball, call a trap play or jet sweep. don't blame the kid for your mistakes as a coach.

Wise up! Riley/Langsdorf called a Qb bootleg sweep, the next safest play in football next to a kneel down in victory formation. Tommy mucked it up. It is just that simple. He falls down and the game is over. It was the correct call for the situation.

• Fire 1

I find it comical that people use Callahan and Cozgrove as their examples of poor offense and defense when Bill's offense was better than Frank's or Bo's and Bo's defenses put of 7 of the top 10 worst performances in school history. That doesn't mean that Bill/Coz didn't suck but I find it funny that just because TO picked Frank and Bo that they get a pass. When the truth is that all three sucked (with most of the blame going to Frank for putting us in this situation in the first place) and it isn't looking good for this staff at the present time either.

the current defensive staff's statistics are actually far worse then Cosgrove's. How was that possible? Tommy with his inconsistency and all still makes these offensive coaches look better then they are.

I am not happy that Riley threw Tommy under the bus over that third down play. If he only wanted to run the ball, call a trap play or jet sweep. don't blame the kid for your mistakes as a coach.

Wise up! Riley/Langsdorf called a Qb bootleg sweep, the next safest play in football next to a kneel down in victory formation. Tommy mucked it up. It is just that simple. He falls down and the game is over. It was the correct call for the situation.
You should probably pay attention, they called a pass play and tagged it as a run, which they had never done before. It was so confusing that the OL was in pass pro and his supposed lead blocker thought it was a pass play. Supposedly the coaches could tell by Carter not going in motion that the play was wrong, but they failed to call a time out and get the call right.

Apparently Tommy was trying to make the play so set up the FG that he ( and many people) thought would come up on the next down.

The staff failed to communicate their plan properly. And this is with 3 time outs and a minute left. They absolutely lost this game with mismanagement.

• Fire 4

And it could be a case of our running backs struggling to be consistently productive right now. I hope those are what it is.

We are currently #23 in the country in yards per rushing attempt at 5.4. Newby is averaging 5.5, Janovich is at 6.9, Ozigbo is at 8.2. How much more consistent do we have to be?

Wouldn't you agree that is partly due to us throwing the ball? If we ran more, wouldn't teams commit more to stopping our run game? You know a lot about football, so you know that plays don't exist in isolation; they are in series and set each other up.

How about you do what's working until the other team stops you. And by stops you I don't mean 1 run that gains 2 yards and then go bombs away again.

Also, I would hope that experienced professional coaches would understand how poor weather affects football.

• Fire 2

Here's why the hand-wringing about not running enough doesn't make sense to me.

So pointing out that we probably should have been calling the plays that were working better instead of the plays that were not working as well is now classified as "hand-wringing"?

Newby is visibly struggling. He's veteran, a good multipurpose back, but is widely considered to be not a great runner (outside of the showing against USA). He isn't losing his hold on the feature back role for nothing. Cross, who began as the #2, also isn't finding himself losing carries for nothing.

Newby has not been as good as I expected. But there's a lot more that goes into it than just saying he's struggling. He's averaging 5.5 yards per carry. In his first season where he got extensive action, Ameer Abdullah averaged 5.0. That's not to say that Newby is the second coming of AA but perhaps it just takes a little time to get in the flow of things. Last year AA averaged 6.1 yards per carry. Against USA (admittedly lesser competition), Newby averaged 7.1. Against Miami - the best overall talent we've played against - Newby averaged 5.9. He's been over 4.0 in two other games. Ameer had six carries for 1 yard against Purdue last year (before getting hurt). Some times it takes a few carries to get going.

And all that is not even taking into consideration what type of plays are being called. I don't have the stats right in front of me but against Illinois we averaged about 3 yards per carry between the tackles and about 6 yards per carry outside the tackles. But we ran about the same number of both. Ozigbo was obviously getting more of the outside the tackle carries and he had the stats to show it. I think Newby is getting a lot of the inside the tackle carries early in the games and there just isn't much room to make anything happen.

Really, there is no "run" vs "pass". They are not opposite, competing things. They are complementary parts of the same offense -- one which, Illinois aside, has done a pretty bang-up job establishing itself in Year One of a new system.

Our offense has put up some pretty good stats and I give them credit for that. We've also faced the #66, #88, #42 and #107 defenses in the country before a terrible showing against Illinois, to some extent due to the weather. Now we'll play the #11, #26 and #5 defenses in the next three games. We'll see which is more responsible for the early-season success - our good offense or our opponents bad defense.

• Fire 2

RADAR, you're delusional.

• Fire 4

They're all part of the same offense. Every game there will be things the offense tries that produces better statistics than other things they try. Is the takeaway from that that they should have done a lot more of the former? Is maybe the fact that we spring two or three big outside runs, for example, related to being a team that goes inside and outside with equal regularity?

I think a more holistic view is sensible, and preferred to a declaration that the coordinator doesn't "get it". And if you ask me to accept a view that our OC is so lost and clueless, I will definitely have to start wringing my hands in despair.

Indeed, we'll see if this offense really is as (surprisingly far along) as they have looked so far. The competition has not been great, as you say. More bumps, regression to average, or steps in the right direction next?

• Fire 2

They're all part of the same offense. Every game there will be things the offense tries that produces better statistics than other things they try. Is the takeaway from that that they should have done a lot more of the former? Is maybe the fact that we spring two or three big outside runs, for example, related to being a team that goes inside and outside with equal regularity?

I think a more holistic view is sensible, and preferred to a declaration that the coordinator doesn't "get it". And if you ask me to accept a view that our OC is so lost and clueless, I will definitely have to start wringing my hands in despair.

Indeed, we'll see if this offense really is as (surprisingly far along) as they have looked so far. The competition has not been great, as you say. More bumps, regression to average, or steps in the right direction next?

There you go again, talking sense... People are looking to snort up a big fat line of outrage and you're talking "holistic view." Geezus. :D

• Fire 1

mrw-my-friend-does-something-incredibly-

not really, he left the ball and play in the hands of the only guy who could muck it up!........he didn't think it through and neither did Tommy.

You should probably pay attention, they called a pass play and tagged it as a run, which they had never done before. It was so confusing that the OL was in pass pro and his supposed lead blocker thought it was a pass play. Supposedly the coaches could tell by Carter not going in motion that the play was wrong, but they failed to call a time out and get the call right.

Apparently Tommy was trying to make the play so set up the FG that he ( and many people) thought would come up on the next down.

The staff failed to communicate their plan properly. And this is with 3 time outs and a minute left. They absolutely lost this game with mismanagement.

Tommy mismanaged the Qb bootleg sweep! That is the play that was called. Safest play you could call in that situation. The correct call for that situation. A three year starter should not have screwed it up. The coaches could not have known that he screwed up the call in the huddle. He admitted he did so there ya go. Pay attention will ya.

Tommy mismanaged the Qb bootleg sweep! That is the play that was called. Safest play you could call in that situation. The correct call for that situation. A three year starter should not have screwed it up. The coaches could not have known that he screwed up the call in the huddle. He admitted he did so there ya go. Pay attention will ya.

giphy.gif

• Fire 3

giphy.gif

I know, ya got nothing! that's ok I already said all there is to say.