Perfect Storm Brewing?

We aren't going to fire Riley after 1 year. It's a waste of energy to think about it imo. Riley could retire but that would have to be his choice and I doubt he throws in the towel after 1 season.

He's likely getting 3-4 years barring two catastrophic seasons. Hope for the best then evaluate him at that point. If he's not up to snuff then we'll make a change.

We aren't going to fire Riley after 1 year. It's a waste of energy to think about it imo. Riley could retire but that would have to be his choice and I doubt he throws in the towel after 1 season.

He's likely getting 3-4 years barring two catastrophic seasons. Hope for the best then evaluate him at that point. If he's not up to snuff then we'll make a change.

well he's never faced this much pressure and scrutiny in his career, besides maybe his days with the Chargers. He may very well realize this wasn't for him and he leaves. We can hope anyways.

It wouldn't matter anyways. May the huskers RIP

Yesterday's performance has me, a pretty mellow, "give the new guy a chance - one year is not enough" and "we can't afford (reputation and continuity, not $$$) another coaching change" kind of guy. But I found myself lamenting that there really is no way out at this point.

Then I read through several of the posts in various threads and a scenario began to form in my head.

Unless this team continues to implode and we start seeing not only losses, but blowouts and teams giving up, I don't see any publicly acceptable reason to release this staff after one year.

So here is the storm. With a new AD, the change in coaches can always be justified, "new guy wants to choose his team". But our AD is new too, and the "give him some time to establish things" honeymoon protects SE as well.

Now, here is where the gale force winds pick up. The man that picked the AD is leaving soon from all reports. I don't think it could happen this next year, but if Perlman exits, this becomes possible:

1. New Chancellor wants "his guy" in the AD position (we buy a top notch AD from the SEC or somewhere)

2. New AD chooses (obtains funding to buy) a new top notch coach

3. New top notch coach, per stipulations in his contract, hires (buys) recognized top notch assistants. (in contract: "You will hire coordinators that have been at top 10 teams and have these following characteristics -- 1. xxxx 2. xxxxx, etc) Leave ZERO room for bringing in buddies, unless those buddies are proven talents.

This scenario give legitimacy to replacing recent hires.

"Fixing" Nebraska football, at this point, can only be done with $$$$$$, and lots of it. The question is, can Nebraska football be fixed at all? If fixing means returning to the dominance we had in the 90s. Not sure it can, but if it can, MONEY will be the key.

I like what you've expressed.

Common denominators.

But, Saturday was a death knell.

Who wants to take over here after that?

Money only works to a certain degree.

Unless you are the SEC.

Or Oklahoma.

Urban doesn't play by the rules.

Harbaugh neither.

I don't condone it.

Out West here i dont really know what the local media is saying or how much they are grilling Riley.

Mark Helfrich, who went to the national title game last year is getting hammered by local newspapers for being 3-2. Oregon use to be middle tier program years ago. Now I've heard talk that Ducks want Kelly from Philly to return.

Frost needs to go to a MAC school first, he is still in diapers as a coach

I bet Northwestern is happy they didn't follow your thought process when hiring Fitzgerald.

Yep cause NW has the same standards as we do.

pat-fitzgerald-in-new-big-ten-network-ad

And yet... his team is ranked #13 and 5-0 with a win over #21 Stanford. And we can't even beat Illinois.

• Fire 3

This coaching change sh#t after one season. It ha to stop. It won't happen. And all those guys that have been mentioned: Tressel, Richt won't come here.

Yeah. That loss sucked, trust me as a complete defender of this staff, I lost a lot of faith last night. These guys blew it. That was right there at the pathetic level of coaching I though Bo Pelini and Tim Beck brought to the table. But Pelini and Beck were having epic meltdowns years into their tenure here.

This was game five.

Yes it sucked. No, I don't fully trust these guys anymore, especially Langsdorf. But talking about firing coaches....geezus, just STFU. This is why our fan base gets clowned on. Yes, there are other fan bases that are fragile over reactive dumbshits too, but that doesn't mean we need to be like them. Just knock it off.

If we beat Wisconsin next week, I think I will feel a little bit better. Not a LOT, but a little.

This coaching change sh#t after one season. It ha to stop. It won't happen. And all those guys that have been mentioned: Tressel, Richt won't come here.

Yeah. That loss sucked, trust me as a complete defender of this staff, I lost a lot of faith last night. These guys blew it. That was right there at the pathetic level of coaching I though Bo Pelini and Tim Beck brought to the table. But Pelini and Beck were having epic meltdowns years into their tenure here.

This was game five.

Yes it sucked. No, I don't fully trust these guys anymore, especially Langsdorf. But talking about firing coaches....geezus, just STFU. This is why our fan base gets clowned on. Yes, there are other fan bases that are fragile over reactive dumbshits too, but that doesn't mean we need to be like them. Just knock it off.

If we beat Wisconsin next week, I think I will feel a little bit better. Not a LOT, but a little.

Nobody cares what we think. That's why Riley is our head coach.

• Fire 1

People think we have endless amounts of money and we actually don't. If we fire the AD, Riley and crew along with what we owe Bo, we wouldn't have enough cash to pay for a top coach. Better hope like hell that frost would come here for half of what Riley is making.

Really? So just how much money would we have to offer a new coach then????

I bet Northwestern is happy they didn't follow your thought process when hiring Fitzgerald.

And yet... his team is ranked #13 and 5-0 with a win over #21 Stanford. And we can't even beat Illinois.

The sun can shine on a dog's ass anyday.

This was game five.

Nobody cares what we think.

Apparently Alex Lewis does.

The sun can shine on a dog's ass anyday.

How bout a cat?

This was game five.

Nobody cares what we think.

Apparently Alex Lewis does.

I would beg to differ.