Sunshine Kool-Aid Drinkers, Thanks for Helping Kill This Program

Some of you screaming for the coaching staff to be fired must think it's 1998 or something. Nebraska is not going to get one of these so called big name coaches to come here no matter what the price. So our record has taken a step backwards from last year. But I sure enjoy watching the games this year instead of waiting for our coach to blow up on the sideline and scream and berate anyone he can find. Sometimes the only way to go up is to go down first. Let us not forget we lost a rb from last years team that masked a ton of offensive problems. Since playing in the rose bowl our greatest accomplishment is losing in conference championship games. No one remembers the losers of these games. Some of you need to face reality that Saban, Meyer or whomever you think is a slam dunk. They aren't coming here. Perhaps Riley is the best we could get. Stew on that one for a bit.

Sorry but you're just plain wrong if you think that

Please share what ever solid evidence you have to suggest that any one like Saban, or Urban or Harbaugh or any of the "top names" would ever come to Nebraska? If you can confidently claim he is "just plain wrong" to think like that, explain your belief.

• Fire 1

Some of you screaming for the coaching staff to be fired must think it's 1998 or something. Nebraska is not going to get one of these so called big name coaches to come here no matter what the price. So our record has taken a step backwards from last year. But I sure enjoy watching the games this year instead of waiting for our coach to blow up on the sideline and scream and berate anyone he can find. Sometimes the only way to go up is to go down first. Let us not forget we lost a rb from last years team that masked a ton of offensive problems. Since playing in the rose bowl our greatest accomplishment is losing in conference championship games. No one remembers the losers of these games. Some of you need to face reality that Saban, Meyer or whomever you think is a slam dunk. They aren't coming here. Perhaps Riley is the best we could get. Stew on that one for a bit.

Money talks. Go ask how Michigan is doing. How about Florida? Oh wait, just flip the channel and see for yourself!

And considering that Nebraska's mediocrity will have a significantly negative impact on merchandise sales and brand value, it's honestly shocking that our leadership didn't make a quality hire last time around.

-----

and yet the crowd sounded as loud as I've ever heard them.

Hmmmm..........it's too bad not everybody is buying into your bullsh#t, or your story would be a lot easier to tell huh?

That's funny, I'm not selling b******t. If you can't handle honesty and have to use ad hominem attacks because you have nothing to bring to the table, then I'm sure there's an echochamber you can go bury yourself in to convince yourself you're right.

I can appreciate your honesty. I can't appreciate your wishing that someone would fly a plane around Memorial Stadium saying "Fire Riley" because you don't have the patience to give the guy a chance, nor the understanding that a chance means longer than a season.

One thing that'll never cease to amaze me is the passion of Husker fans. It's a tremendous positive, but a double-edged sword. When everything's going well: it's great. When everything's not going well: things get turned up to a boil way too soon.

I said this when Bo was our head coach, but I think it bears repeating: We all want Nebraska to win, coaches, players, and fans alike. Some of us have one idea for how to get there. Others have a different idea for how to get there. Don't confuse patience from some fans with a desire to see Nebraska fail.

About Harbaugh and McElwain: I look at Michigan and Florida and, like most of you calling for Riley's head, I'm frustrated that they're doing so well and we're doing not as good. But realistically, the comparison between Harbaugh, McElwain, and Riley stops at the fact that they're in their first years at a new school. There was no chance Nebraska was going to hire Harbaugh as soon as the Michigan job opened up. Similarly, there was no chance Nebraska was going to hire McElwain as soon as the Florida job opened up. Both schools would eagerly outbid us to have a former player/coordinator coach their team. The fact that they had success elsewhere makes those hires good hires, and the fact that Florida/Michigan have a lot of talent makes for a smoother transition. In fairness, I was thinking the talent on Nebraska would help Mike Riley and his coaching staff make a better transition into Nebraska than 2-4.

Perhaps Riley misspoke when he mentioned matching players to a system. I think that gave fans (myself included) a false sense that Riley was going to immediately or eventually adopt a very power-run, vintage Nebraska offense, and although I think it's a fair criticism that Nebraska doesn't run it enough, you can't at the same time look at all the weapons we have at WR (Westerkamp, DPE, Reilly, Alonzo Moore, Cethan Carter are all good WRs/TEs) and think we don't have the ability to chuck it across the yard. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a wrong thing to do. Maybe our own perception of the team's strengths and weaknesses aren't exact; maybe we don't really have a significant rushing threat--having an all-star RB the past two years can raise expectations.

A coach's third year at a program is what is referred to as the defining year, the indication of what you're really getting for a head coach. By the 3rd year, current players are more adopted to the current system, and new players are recruited because of their match with the system Riley wants to run. I know it's sucks feeling like this season is wasted, but it's a learning/growing year.

• Fire 4

Don't forget Chryst is in his first year at a new program. Basically he has no running game today due to injuries but still comes in here and wins. This is the team that ran all over us last year and now has a new head coach and no running game and beats us this year through the air at our place. This was the year to beat Wisky. Illinois also has a first year coach and I still don't know how the hell they beat us. I agree with those that say we need a big name proven winner coach. We are a big time program with big time facilities and getting beat by first year coaches from Wisky and Illinois. It remains to be seen but we are not getting our $ worth with this staff so far. I am not saying can them but they are off to a very bad start. Who the hell has Nebraska beat this year now that half the season is over...NOBODY!

• Fire 1

Until we hire a BIG NAME proven coach and recruiter -- not some young unproven up-and-comer or unknown commodity -- we will remain languishing in mediocrity.

Bama and Michigan have provided the blueprint/formula to follow; we just have to do it. Chip Kelly, Mark Richt, Gary Patterson, Jim Tressel...

Chip Kelly was big time before he went to Oregon wasn't he. Leading the powerhouse New Hampshire team. .. and ... oh ...NCAA sanctions.

Mark Richt.....he's good, but look at is success in GA...no better than Bo's really...but he does have Nebraska ties, so I"d support that one.

Gary Patterson.....he was a good coach at a middle sized college before achieving his stardom where he is now. Do you remember he was 7-6 in 2012, then 4 -8 in 2013 at TCU? And oh, his first full year as head coach there...6-6 in freaking conference USA. He is good now because a University and fan base gave him time to develop. He wasn't a "big name hire" when he started.

Jim Tressel....last name has the same amount of letters as trouble..as in NCAA sanctions.

Richt would be a maybe, if he'd ever leave the SEC...who else ya got, cause the ones you mentioned were not or would not be home run hires.

Now, I do agree, we need better coaching than we've seen so far this year. New coach, new players, new conference....if things look the same next year...then I'll likely listen to some "fuel the torches, sharpen the pitchforks" talk,

Money talks. Go ask how Michigan is doing. How about Florida? Oh wait, just flip the channel and see for yourself!

Harbaugh wouldn't have come to Nebraska for 150% of what he is getting at Michigan...he is an alum there you know. Rare case of a great coach wanting to coach at his alma mater.

I'm not going to read through multiple paragraphs of a post. We hired a career .500 coach. This is the result. Lets call a spade a spade. Michigan and Florida hired proven coaches who have won and did big things. Harbaugh turned Stanford around, took the 49ers to a SB. McElwain completely turned around CSU. Quick, give me a time Riley and his buddies did something great that stands out on his resume.

• Fire 1

I'm not going to read through multiple paragraphs of a post. We hired a career .500 coach. This is the result. Lets call a spade a spade. Michigan and Florida hired proven coaches who have won and did big things. Harbaugh turned Stanford around, took the 49ers to a SB. McElwain completely turned around CSU. Quick, give me a time Riley and his buddies did something great that stands out on his resume.

Beat #1 USC.

Maybe Tony Dungy will come out of retirement and save Nebraska. He does have great respect for our program even Jon Gruden has great respect for Nebraska. Maybe we lure him away from ESPN. Money talks and Nebraska's great tradition still lives on with many people. Our so called fans are content with mediocrity it is heartbreaking.

Beat #1 USC.

Wow was that when Oregon State won the Pac-10? And that happened nearly a decade ago before he became a washout. They won a few division titles and beat Oregon a lot too.

Maybe Richt would be OK in the BIG? I have never seen the fascination with him...I would have expected Georgia to play in a lot more big games under him. They seem to lose when it matters most so I don't want that track record coming here. He seems to underwhelm. Patterson would have been good like 2 years ago...that would have been the time to get him but we went too long with Bo. Not sure if we made a run at him before Riley.

Don't forget Chryst is in his first year at a new program. Basically he has no running game today due to injuries but still comes in here and wins. This is the team that ran all over us last year and now has a new head coach and no running game and beats us this year through the air at our place. This was the year to beat Wisky. Illinois also has a first year coach and I still don't know how the hell they beat us. I agree with those that say we need a big name proven winner coach. We are a big time program with big time facilities and getting beat by first year coaches from Wisky and Illinois. It remains to be seen but we are not getting our $ worth with this staff so far. I am not saying can them but they are off to a very bad start. Who the hell has Nebraska beat this year now that half the season is over...NOBODY!

This. Exactly. Wisconsin is just as beat up as we are. Maybe more. Yet, they didn't quit. Their kicker shanked one off the goalpost yet got a second chance (that should NEVER have happened) and snuck it through...good teams play 60 minutes. They were the better team today. Maybe not for all 60 minutes, but the stats show that they outplayed us in every significant category. We got beat. Likely by a better team. So let's cheer for them as they roll out of town like we say we do, regroup and try to figure out where we keep going wrong. There's a lot to play for yet this season, all is not lost.

Maybe Tony Dungy will come out of retirement and save Nebraska. He does have great respect for our program even Jon Gruden has great respect for Nebraska. Maybe we lure him away from ESPN. Money talks and Nebraska's great tradition still lives on with many people. Our so called fans are content with mediocrity it is heartbreaking.

We aren't content with mediocrity. That's why we fired Solich. That's why we fired Callahan. That's why we fired Pelini. Have we risen above that mediocre title since? So do tell, what good with firing a coach after one year do for the program?

Don't confuse patience with a desire to be mediocre. Nobody wants that and it's on you if you think people who are wanting to be patient with Mike Riley are content with being average despite them saying they're not.

• Fire 2