Benning's Thoughts. Worth Your Time.

Every one thinks that Nebraska has a trunk full of talent and Riley was just supposed to waltz in a score big from the start. This team isn't very talented, not very mentally tough, and now have lost 7 of their last 10 games back to last year. This losing just didn't start this season, it started last year. Wins against Iowa, Southern Miss, and South Alabama. Losses to Miami, BYU, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisky, Wisky, Michigan St. Other than Illinois and Iowa from last season, the rest at one time have been ranked in the Top 25. What does that say.

Were looking at a very mentally challenged bunch that won 9 games last year, had their head coach fired, and now replaced with a new coach, new system, and new challenges. The one thing that hasn't changed is the mental toughness of this group. TA has a losers mentality. Face it, until Riley has his players, in his system, this won't work. I dare to have anyone on here look up and see how many players Bo put into the NFL, and how many Riley has. That should tell all of us something.

Face it, its a process thats going to take at least 3 years to get in place. Its going to take 3 years to get Bo's crap out of that locker room. Its going to take 3 years for the current staff to get enough talent to even compete against top 20 schools. Isn't that what were after in the long run???

Funny, Bo was able to get Callahan's crap out of the locker room his first season. By the time Riley uses all the time you want to give him, he'll be a septagenarian.

• Fire 1

Every one thinks that Nebraska has a trunk full of talent and Riley was just supposed to waltz in a score big from the start. This team isn't very talented, not very mentally tough, and now have lost 7 of their last 10 games back to last year. This losing just didn't start this season, it started last year. Wins against Iowa, Southern Miss, and South Alabama. Losses to Miami, BYU, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisky, Wisky, Michigan St. Other than Illinois and Iowa from last season, the rest at one time have been ranked in the Top 25. What does that say.

Were looking at a very mentally challenged bunch that won 9 games last year, had their head coach fired, and now replaced with a new coach, new system, and new challenges. The one thing that hasn't changed is the mental toughness of this group. TA has a losers mentality. Face it, until Riley has his players, in his system, this won't work. I dare to have anyone on here look up and see how many players Bo put into the NFL, and how many Riley has. That should tell all of us something.

Face it, its a process thats going to take at least 3 years to get in place. Its going to take 3 years to get Bo's crap out of that locker room. Its going to take 3 years for the current staff to get enough talent to even compete against top 20 schools. Isn't that what were after in the long run???

Bo didn't do well against top 20 teams, but he had enough talent and coaching ability to beat lesser teams. We should expect 9 wins no matter what. I also disagree that TA has a loser mentality. TA plays tough. He occasionally makes boneheaded decisions, but good coaching should correct that. TA runs hard and plays hard, but he cannot be successful as a drop back passer.

Zero supporting data? Good, respected coaches have not fared poorly or cut their teeth at one place only to succeed in another? And vice versa?

What's the objective, non-conjecture, data-supported approach to predicting future coach performance based on past performance? Who was the scientifically correct choice?

Jim Harbaugh. DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And wouldn't you believe it? All we had to do was throw briefcases of money at him and he'd come here in a heartbeat, because who wouldn't want to coach at their former school?

That was the reasoning behind the narrative to can Bo.

Yet now we're stuck with Riley.

I hope that the cry babies understand that we can support the program, support the coach ( not one in the same ), yet still be critical of the coach and still expect him to not be successful.

They are not one or all in the same.

There was good reason to get rid of Bo, but there was no reason to hand the program over to a 62 year old coach with a 500 career record that had 12 wins in his last two years. And to make matters worse, he was allowed to bring in a mediocre staff. If we had hired a coach with potential, I would have more patience.

agree, by now he should be a veteran of the game and of the strategy employed, losing all these games in the last minute or less is indicative of poor game management......damn, at 62 he ought to be able to handle this! when he brought over all his butt buddies, i knew we were in trouble........shades of Callahan.

Apparently 4 of those teams have more talent, more want, and more confidence. They went down the field and won those games however fans want to approach it. Lucky yes, wanted it more, definitely. TA is not and will not ever lead this team to anything more than what it is right now. HE has been the QB during this 7 out of 10 losing stretch. Its ok to say that the talent here is down, and face the fact that Bo couldn't recruit. Its ok to say the better team won on those days. Its ok to want to get better as well. Pointing fingers at all the coaches is nothing different here. Tim Beck sucked, Watson sucked, Papuchis sucked, now Langsdorf sucks, and new DC sucks, and Riley sucks. LAst year Bo' sucked.

The one common thread to all of this is the players! MAybe they don't have the talent and maybe they suck since this is a different staff and were still losing games!!

• Fire 1

The coaching hasn't been any worse this year than any of the coaching we fans have been bitching about for the past 20 years. We bitch about it every game, every year, as sure as the sun keeps coming up.

By definition, this is the worst record we have had in 56 years. You can't blame the drastic record change on the players. It is the coaching staff, and I am not a Bo supporter.

At the current moment, you are right about the record. But keep in mind he has not lost any more games in his first year than Bo. If that means anything, I doubt it. And granted it's an uphill climb the rest of the way and I acknowledge that. The Huskers need to play a little better because the results have been close. The games have not been blowout losses, so I won't say they have to play beyond their capability to even compete. I don't expect a miracle, but got to show support in the team and keep taking it one game at a time.

If you still live in Michigan, brother I feel for you because it's got to be tough time being around those Wolves. Hang in there. GBR!

• Fire 1

Furthermore, this is not a fluky set of losses like Iowa St beating us in 92' because they wanted it more and they were "better on that " type of thing. That happened during that era, very few times.

We truly don't have the horses that alot of other teams possess. Do we have a Geronimo Allison? Do we have an Erickson as TE, do we have a defense that scares anyone from passing. All the teams that have beaten Nebraska, have had superior athletes at certain positions that change the out come of games. Who are Nebraska's game changers? TA? He changes the game, but usually for the other teams.

Who are our playmakers? Difference makers? Haven't seen any on the field this season yet.

Westerkamp? Newby? Cross? Ozigbo? Carter? Any?

Check the talent expectations and chuck them in the tall grass.!!

Most want to compare what we have now to what we had before.

Let's admit it, Bo Pelini's first year at Nebraska was pretty rocky as well before things got turned around.

Remember the worst home loss to Missouri in 2008? And the heartbreaker against Texas Tech in overtime? And the 62 point blowout against Bob Stoops and Oklahoma, where the Huskers gave up the most points in a single quarter?

Things got better in the following years. Granted it didn't work out in the long run for the former coaching staff. Time will tell if this staff can go the distance even if it doesn't look like it now.

• Fire 3

Every one thinks that Nebraska has a trunk full of talent and Riley was just supposed to waltz in a score big from the start.

We've played 6 games this season. Please enlighten which of those 6 have superior talent to the Huskers.......

Talent alone doesn't win games. That's a crutch argument.

Winning on the field comes down to talent, coaching, and intangibles (psychology, confidence, killer instinct).

The Huskers have the best talent in the B10 West, if you go by recruiting ranks. This entire team's roster has been poorly coached/developed and has horrible intangibles, and has had those problems ever since they've been here. That falls on the former staff. And that problem doesn't get rectified in half a season.

• Fire 1

Zero supporting data? Good, respected coaches have not fared poorly or cut their teeth at one place only to succeed in another? And vice versa?

What's the objective, non-conjecture, data-supported approach to predicting future coach performance based on past performance? Who was the scientifically correct choice?

Jim Harbaugh. DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And wouldn't you believe it? All we had to do was throw briefcases of money at him and he'd come here in a heartbeat, because who wouldn't want to coach at their former school?

That was the reasoning behind the narrative to can Bo.

Yet now we're stuck with Riley.

I hope that the cry babies understand that we can support the program, support the coach ( not one in the same ), yet still be critical of the coach and still expect him to not be successful.

They are not one or all in the same.

There was good reason to get rid of Bo, but there was no reason to hand the program over to a 62 year old coach with a 500 career record that had 12 wins in his last two years. And to make matters worse, he was allowed to bring in a mediocre staff. If we had hired a coach with potential, I would have more patience.

I 100% agree.

Every one thinks that Nebraska has a trunk full of talent and Riley was just supposed to waltz in a score big from the start.

We've played 6 games this season. Please enlighten which of those 6 have superior talent to the Huskers.......

Winning on the field comes down to talent, coaching, and intangibles (psychology, confidence, killer instinct).

The Huskers have the best talent in the B10 West, if you go by recruiting ranks. This entire team's roster has been poorly coached/developed and has horrible intangibles, and has had those problems ever since they've been here. That falls on the former staff. And that problem doesn't get rectified in half a season.

Yet the previous staff was able to win 70% of their games.

I thought that this current staff of highly experienced teachers were supposed to do more with less.

The former staff, dealing with each of the three areas you mentioned (talent, coaching and intangibles) is making Riley look like Howdy Doody.

No crutches needed. 2-4 speaks volumes.

So under Pelini, we had coaching and not talent? Or how did we win 70% of our games under his direction?

I thought that this current staff of highly experienced teachers were supposed to do more with less.

Oh wow, you guys are not the same person? My bad. Please carry on the good fight.

• Fire 1

The previous staff had AA, KB, and RG.

You can't have it both ways man. You're talking out both sides of your mouth.

• Fire 1