Riley Supporters Are Wrong

Redux

I giggled a little when I read this:

You sit there and bash Kirk Ferentz. You scoff at Minnesota. You laugh at Illinois.

Right now, you’d trade places with any of those teams in a heartbeat.

Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois fans, have endured what we're just now experiencing, for years now. Yet, I'm pretty sure they weren't whining about it on the level we are, calling for mid-season firing, etc. We would have kicked Ferentz out, YEARS ago.

s

Minn, Iowa, and Illinois are not fifth all time in wins and never will be. We are so we need to act like it and stop giving excuses to piss poor performances.

Wow, what a sh**ty piece of clickbait garbage.

This guy says:

You were wrong. You were wrong to support a chancellor and AD who sacrificed a known — winning games — for a prayer and a pipe dream. Tom Osborne is gone. What he did will probably never be done again — not at Nebraska or anyplace else. You have forgotten how to appreciate success.

And then he says:

Nebraska is a blue blood. Nebraska belongs among the nation’s most prestigious programs. Nebraska is Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame and Michigan.

These two statement directly contradict each other. Nebraska is a blue blood and belongs among other blue bloods, and is simultaneously crazy to fire Pelini? Firing Pelini and trying to hire a better coach was a "prayer and a pipe dream?" 9 wins a year and no championships is success even though Nebraska is a blue blood program and belongs with those other 4 programs? Jesus Christ.

A few months ago this guy wrote:

Cautious optimism has evolved into what seems like almost unjustified swagger amongst the Husker faithful rather quickly throughout the spring. Mike Riley’s complete 180 from the way Bo Pelini did pretty much everything has the fanbase energized and — in my opinion — talking crazy.

You don’t lose talents like Ameer Abdullah, Randy Gregory and Kenny Bell and improve, regardless of any depth you think you have. Implementing whatever system Riley decides to go with is going to take time — something the 2015 Huskers don’t have much of with the BYU Cougars coming to town to kick off the season.

A local radio show in Omaha made the claim that their are about six toss-up games — games that could go either way — on Nebraska’s schedule. I have that number around eight. Splitting those puts Mike Riley’s first edition of the Huskers one game worse than Bo Pelini had them a season ago.

That said, better days are ahead for Nebraska under Riley. The Sea of Red must be patient.

Soo... this guy sees Nebraska being a worse team and having a worse record than before? And he thinks better days are ahead, despite that? And we have to be patient?

You CAN fire a coach after one season, because you are Nebraska and this is not who and what you are.

But now we need to fire our coach after year one? What happened to needing to be patient? This clown is contradicting himself again.

Clickbait trash.

• Fire 1

He got blown out in some games

Some games include: 52-17 against Missouri, 62-28 against Oklahoma, 31-10 against Texas Tech, (let's not forget 9-7 against Iowa State), 48-17 against Wisconsin, 45-17 against Michigan, 30-13 against South Carolina, 63-38 against Ohio State, 70-31 against Wisconsin (again), 41-21 against UCLA (after being up 21-0), 38-17 against Iowa, and 59-24 against Wisconsin (again).

The way the author put that is to discount those blowouts like there weren't that many, which is completely false. 11 blowouts in 7 years, that's a little over 1.5 a year, I don't think you'll find another Power 5 program who got blown out more during that time frame. Winning doesn't erase that.

Furthermore, perhaps Bo was right for outting the fans, and perhaps he's right about the administration (who knows?). But being right isn't always good (i.e., people who doubted the Mike Riley hire), and there was no person more responsible for creating a divide between fans and team than Bo and a few coaches on his coaching staff.

It's funny that if you look at Bo's years at Nebraska, from a qualitative perspective, 2010--Bo's 3rd year--was his best year at Nebraska, that 3rd year that I've been saying is so pivotal for figuring out what kind of coach you have. Mike Riley's went 5-6 in his 3rd year at Oregon State, which isn't a good sign of what he might do here (and has been documented and accepted as a legitimate criticism of the hire), and it's no surprise that his overall record at Oregon State hovered around that win percentage. It's also been documented and accepted that Nebraska is a little more advantageous place than Oregon State and perhaps Mike Riley will be able to do here what he couldn't do at OSU.

It's going to take patience, so if you have none, it might be more advantageous for you to spend time fishing rather than on the board.

Still in the denial phase. Only four more to go!

Point out what I'm denying.

The entire point of the article. (Hint: It wasn't about Bo.)
It kinda was.

How much are you charging Bo to live in your head?

So here's a question for all you Bo haters that say he left no talent. When Riley said that this years team had more talent than his best team at OSU did he not know what he was talking about?

#boomroasted.

Very true. If this is more talent that he had at OSU and we are 2-4..... Or honestly, was he being nice and saying what we as a team and fans needed to hear. I don't think he would have come in and said "none of these guys would make the 2 deep at "insert school" here.

I am just at a loss as Bo and Co stunk, but won 9. Riley "should" be an upgrade on experience alone, but 6 games in, we look like a soup sandwich on the field...

So here's a question for all you Bo haters that say he left no talent. When Riley said that this years team had more talent than his best team at OSU did he not know what he was talking about?

#boomroasted.

Very true. If this is more talent that he had at OSU and we are 2-4..... Or honestly, was he being nice and saying what we as a team and fans needed to hear. I don't think he would have come in and said "none of these guys would make the 2 deep at "insert school" here.

I am just at a loss as Bo and Co stunk, but won 9. Riley "should" be an upgrade on experience alone, but 6 games in, we look like a soup sandwich on the field...

The sunshine pumpers are suffering from cognitive dissonance . I'm trying not to waste much time worrying about their pretzel logic.

I agree that Riley is a good guy, but I also agree that we can and should fire him after one season.

The university signed a contract with him and should see the contract through, regardless of our W/L record. Look at Kirk Ferenz at Iowa (he had a few bad to average seasons and now they're undefeated and ranked #17)

I agree that Riley is a good guy, but I also agree that we can and should fire him after one season.

The university signed a contract with him and should see the contract through, regardless of our W/L record. Look at Kirk Ferenz at Iowa (he had a few bad to average seasons and now they're undefeated and ranked #17)

Would you be happy with Iowa's success? Not a bash at you at all, but this is the fans and maybe teams mentality. Losing close is ok, getting 9 wins is ok. I could care how less Iowa does this year. It's one season. I'm happy for the B1G as it shows a better strength of conference, but as a long term NU fan, I won't be satisfied until we are in the hunt/talk every year.

This response in the article was interesting

Recruiting rankings from 2011-2015.

Florida is fielding players from #12, #3, #4, #8, and #23 ranked recruiting classes.

Michigan is fielding players from #21, #7, #5, #31, and #50 ranked recruiting classes.

Nebraska is fielding players from #15, #25, #17, #32 and #31

The difference is that Nebraska’s best class provides us with some redshirt seniors this year. However, of the stars in that class, Aaron Green transferred to TCU, Bubba Starling never enrolled opting to collect a $7 million check to play pro baseball, Mauro Bondi transferred to Hawaii, Ryan Klachko transferred to Illinois, Tyler Moore transferred to Florida, Todd Pete Jr transferred to a junior college, and finally Max Pirman and David Santos were kicked off the team.

The only players seeing the field from that class of seniors are:

Taariq Allen

Daniel Davie

Givens Price played one snap against South Alabama

Ryne Reeves

Zach Sterup saw snaps yesterday in place of injured Nick Gates

David Sutton was hurt against BYU and won’t be back until late november

Jamal Turner

Kevin Williams

I found this incredibly interesting so I looked up who the star players were that made up the other top 20 class to see who was still on the team.

Randy Gregory (left for the NFL)

Johnny Stanton (transferred to a juco)

Kevin Gladney (dismissed from the team)

Courtney Love (transferred to Kentucky)

Greg Hart (transferred to Kentucky)

Drake Martinez (transferred to Michigan State)

Earnest Suttles (dismissed from team and playing at Memphis)

also in that class currently in the program and getting significant time on the field:

Josh Banderas (out due to injury)

Kevin Maurice (out due to injury)

Kevin Williams (out due to injury)

So before you go spouting off about how easy Jim Harbaugh and Jim McElwain are making it look, just remember what Bo Pelini put in the cupboard.

I’ll take 4 losses by a total of 11 points over watching double digit losses to Ohio State (25), Wisconsin (31, 39, and 35), Iowa (21), Missouri (35), UCLA (20), Michigan State (13), Oklahoma (34), Minnesota (11), Georgia (14), South Carolina (17), Washington (12), Texas Tech (21), and Michigan (28) any day.

Yep Bo missed on 39% of his recruits which is why we have less talent than a place like Nebraska should have. Not to mention I am sure that it has played into our defense getting worn out in the 4th quarter since we don't have depth.

That's incredible. I hadn't realized the attrition from 2011 was that bad. I know all teams lose players. But I wonder how our attrition compares with what's typical in FBS?

Oh jeez....really?! They have had a very easy schedule and the season is only half over. Iowa has been nothing but mediocre for many, many years and will continue to be.

Florida is fielding players from #12, #3, #4, #8, and #23 ranked recruiting classes.

Michigan is fielding players from #21, #7, #5, #31, and #50 ranked recruiting classes.

The difference is that Nebraska’s best class provides us with some redshirt seniors this year. However, of the stars in that class, Aaron Green transferred to TCU, Bubba Starling never enrolled opting to collect a $7 million check to play pro baseball, Mauro Bondi transferred to Hawaii, Ryan Klachko transferred to Illinois, Tyler Moore transferred to Florida, Todd Pete Jr transferred to a junior college, and finally Max Pirman and David Santos were kicked off the team.

Taariq Allen

Daniel Davie

Ryne Reeves

Jamal Turner

Kevin Williams

I found this incredibly interesting so I looked up who the star players were that made up the other top 20 class to see who was still on the team.

also in that class currently in the program and getting significant time on the field:

So before you go spouting off about how easy Jim Harbaugh and Jim McElwain are making it look, just remember what Bo Pelini put in the cupboard.

I’ll take 4 losses by a total of 11 points over watching double digit losses to Ohio State (25), Wisconsin (31, 39, and 35), Iowa (21), Missouri (35), UCLA (20), Michigan State (13), Oklahoma (34), Minnesota (11), Georgia (14), South Carolina (17), Washington (12), Texas Tech (21), and Michigan (28) any day.

Yep Bo missed on 39% of his recruits which is why we have less talent than a place like Nebraska should have. Not to mention I am sure that it has played into our defense getting worn out in the 4th quarter since we don't have depth.

39% attrition is the national average. Your myth has already been debunked in another thread.

It's disappointing that a confrontational "You're Wrong" article targeted at anybody that wants to see a body of work of at least a few years, has become a rallying cry for some.

Ah, to each their own.

You mean like the 14 year body of work (.538) that Riley had prior to coming to Nebraska which clearly established him as an average coach? You know, the same body of evidence our Athletic Administartion chose to completely disregard in favor of a gamble?

I find that to be much more dissapointing...

Taariq Allen

Daniel Davie

Ryne Reeves

Jamal Turner

Kevin Williams

39% attrition is the national average. Your myth has already been debunked in another thread.
I don't think it's really a debunked myth. If you consistently recruit classes ranked in the 25-40 range and you have a 35-40% attrition rate on average, you aren't going to win championships. So Bo not only didn't have very good consistent recruiting classes, he had a lot of players leave. You are not going to win championships. And that's what it's really about.
  • Fire 2

Taariq Allen

Daniel Davie

Ryne Reeves

Jamal Turner

Kevin Williams

I don't think it's really a debunked myth. If you consistently recruit classes ranked in the 25-40 range and you have a 35-40% attrition rate on average, you aren't going to win championships. So Bo not only didn't have very good consistent recruiting classes, he had a lot of players leave. You are not going to win championships. And that's what it's really about.

Bingo.