Ganz on New QB Counter Play

ajt1970

I don't know if I'm a huge fan of running the QB. Eric Crouch looked like a much different and effective passer the first half of the season only to get poorer and poorer as the season slugged on. I've always thought it was more than likely because he was just so beat up from running so much and taking so many hits. I really would rather not see Armstrong have to carry the ball any more than five or six times a game.

• Fire 1

I don't know if I'm a huge fan of running the QB. Eric Crouch looked like a much different and effective passer the first half of the season only to get poorer and poorer as the season slugged on. I've always thought it was more than likely because he was just so beat up from running so much and taking so many hits. I really would rather not see Armstrong have to carry the ball any more than five or six times a game.

I don't think anybody is saying Armstrong needs to carry the ball 15-20 times a game. But, in college football the best offenses are able to play 11 on 11 and utilize the QB run game. I know Langsdorf and Riley have played lip service to involving TA in the run game, but they aren't doing it enough. I would like to see TA get 8-10 carries a game. These could be QB counters, speed options, etc. I think Armstrong is the type of QB who passes better, after getting involved in the run game. Also, at 225 Armstrong is big enough to run a number of times and not get killed out there. He also does a smart job of running out of bounds to avoid contact at times.

I'm not really worried about him getting killed. I'm more concerned with hurting a finger or thumb on his throwing hand. I'm worried about him banging up his throwing shoulder. I don't necessarily think his size has anything to do with it. If a play breaks down and there's an opening, by all means he should take it and slide before contact. Designed runs seem a bit risky considering I'm not sure there's much faith in any of our QBs behind him.

I'm not really worried about him getting killed. I'm more concerned with hurting a finger or thumb on his throwing hand. I'm worried about him banging up his throwing shoulder. I don't necessarily think his size has anything to do with it. If a play breaks down and there's an opening, by all means he should take it and slide before contact. Designed runs seem a bit risky considering I'm not sure there's much faith in any of our QBs behind him.

I kind of wonder if this is the largest reason for not running Tommy as much as everyone would like. We're worried enough about the season already. If Tommy goes down for the season, we are officially screwed.

Not to sound like a Debbie downer or anything but have you seen him throw the ball the past two games. He needs at least 10 carries a game....He's not a pocket passer and never will be

• Fire 3

I think Langsdorf has actually done a really good job with the quarterback run game, considering he has no past experience coaching it. Obviously Nebraska fans would like to see it happen more, but he seems to have a knack for mostly calling it in really good situations for Tommy to pick up easy yards, and Tommy is doing better at tucking and running on pass plays over the last few games.

• Fire 2

Nice discussion. So Tommy's 35 yard run that called back, it wasn't due a penalty on Chongo after all. It was the WR and Cethan Carter. Ganz said the WR should have seen Carter was back, and stepped up to the line to avoid a penalty.

• Fire 1

Not to sound like a Debbie downer or anything but have you seen him throw the ball the past two games. He needs at least 10 carries a game....He's not a pocket passer and never will be

As much as this is true, I don't want to have to finish the season with our backup QB. We don't have the weapons to go down to a place like Manhattan, KS and face a top 20 team on the road with our third string QB. We don't have a Berringer as a backup.

Armstrong can just as easily get hit and hurt in the pocket as he can running the ball. That argument holds no water. Also, what did Crouch play at, 200-205 lbs? Armstrong is a legit 225, and isn't carrying the ball nearly as often as Crouch did.

I kind of wonder if this is the largest reason for not running Tommy as much as everyone would like. We're worried enough about the season already. If Tommy goes down for the season, we are officially screwed.

This is one of the biggest reasons, if not the biggest reason we have not seen more designed QB runs. The staff has VERY LITTLE faith in any of the backup QBs.

I think we have to stop babying QBs. They're a part of the team just like everyone else...and it's a hit and be hit game. QBs should not be stopped from doing what they do best (Armstong's case, running the ball) just because someone's afraid of injury. That isn't what football is about. It's a brutal game and if you choose to step out on that field in any position (even kickers) you have accepted that hitting, and the possibility of being injured, is there on every play. Hit and be hit, blocking and tackling.....that is the name of the game. No special exceptions from this rule just because someone is a QB or a kicker or whatever. To me it's all about old school - QBs will not slide, they will not run out of bounds.....I wouldn't ask Newby, Cross, or Janovich to slide or look to run out of bounds, so I certainly wouldn't expect Armstrong (or any other QB) to do that either.

Besides, ColoradoHusk makes an excellent point - a QB can just as easily, or maybe even easier, get injured standing in the pocket and getting creamed as a stationary target. At least when he runs he has a fighting chance to lower his shoulder and absorb the hit and even administer a little punishment to the would-be tackler.

• Fire 1

As much as this is true, I don't want to have to finish the season with our backup QB. We don't have the weapons to go down to a place like Manhattan, KS and face a top 20 team on the road with our third string QB. We don't have a Berringer as a backup.

Well who ever has a Berringer as a backup? And we don't have to go to Manhattan and play. We are going to the likes of Rutgers, Minnesota, and Purdue. I love Tommy as a leader but I feel if we had to play our backup QB if would force us to use the ground game more on 1st and 2nd down which would help our offense and defense immensely as we wouldn't have to worry about going a 3 and out on three straight passes.