Regardless of what most of the armchair coaches say..

I hope yesterday's game shows to all of the people in the other two main threads last week calling for Riley to "just run the ball" that he actually...wait for it...knows the situation much, much more than you do.

That long run by Newby on our first possession - that was all done by our offensive line. And it's also the very first time this season it has really happened. So when our fan base cries and cries that we don't run "enough," just remember that Riley and Langsdorf are clearly not stupid. My best guess is that our line hasn't shown much up until this point to make them feel like they can have a lot of confidence just coming right out of the gate running over 50% of the time. None of us like that, but it is what it is.

That play incidentally set up the entire game for our offense. And Tommy followed up by making great throws on the wide receiver screens and bubble screens. This offense gives a defense so much to worry about. And to be honest, yesterday's play selection really wasn't that different from a game you would have seen last season.

• Fire 1

Almost a perfect game playcalling wise. Start to finish very, very, very well coached game.

No doubt. That was a pleasant surprise. And only two penalties!

Was it? Or is that just our impression after the success of a well-executed offensive game?

I'd say the pleasant surprise was Armstrong throwing for 69%, and our O-line playing much better. And that's not a sarcastic jab at Tommy - he showed us in the first four games that he's capable of throwing well this year.

• Fire 1

Hip, hip, hooray.....we sqeaked out a win against a bad team, and now we may just hit .500, for the year.

Wow, your life must suck. A 23 point win is not squeaking out a win. Minnesota is not a bad team. Reading your posts I almost think you would be happier if they would have lost.

The way you talk you stopped watching college football in 1997. There are a lot of solid decent football teams in college that if you don't show up to play you will lose to.

You just sound so whiny it is pathetic.

• Fire 1

it really was a win against a poor team, but for us any win is good......now, the trick is, let's see if they can build off this game and improve......not stay the same, but get better.

Agreed.

The win is great, but the underlying issues are much much bigger.

The only one I've seen on the entire board address this is The Duke.

Tom Osborne has more coaching experience alone than some posters have been alive. Osborne showed the blueprint for what works with football at the University of Nebraska. The only coach since Solich who remotely took Osborne's input was Pelini. Callahan and Riley have both dismissed it. Run the ball.

Yes, we ran the ball yesterday and ran it well. That type of game plan, however, is not the M.O. of Riley/Langsdorf. Which means, similar to the Callahan years, they will be slowly implementing their system which simply does not lend itself toward consistent winning football at Nebraska.

We're 3-4 after reeling off consecutive 9+ win seasons for 7 years. Ironically, on either side of those 7 years we've had head coaches with philosophies that won't cut it for football at Nebraska.

And, on top of that, we've got the "political drama" between Perlman and Osborne.

I always like the weeks when the football team shuts up the doubters and trash talkers for a week, so those people have to move on to complaining about "other" things like:

Underlying issues

Philosophies

and

"Political drama" in the program

This is a funny part too:

We're 3-4 after reeling off consecutive 9+ win seasons for 7 years. Ironically, on either side of those 7 years we've had head coaches with philosophies that won't cut it for football at Nebraska

Ironically, those 7 years also displayed a philosophy that "won't cut it" for Nebraska football.

You will sit here and emphasize the importance of the run game as vital to Nebraska's success, then totally dismiss the fact that stopping the run is equally important. It's hilarious! You're blinded by a loyalty to somebody, and it's causing you to ignore the serious downfalls of his "philosophy". A philosophy, I remind you, that he was given seven years to establish, alter or modify, and improve upon. The fact that you've labeled this current coaches tenure a failure already is just plain stupidity.

Stop coming here. The only reason you should come here is for me to give you my weekly YSU penguin update.

YSU lost 38 - 8 to the powerhouse South Dakota State. SDSU ran the ball 46 times and averaged 4.6 yards per carry. Sound familiar?

• Fire 2

I always like the weeks when the football team shuts up the doubters and trash talkers for a week, so those people have to move on to complaining about "other" things like:

Underlying issues

Philosophies

and

"Political drama" in the program

This is a funny part too:

We're 3-4 after reeling off consecutive 9+ win seasons for 7 years. Ironically, on either side of those 7 years we've had head coaches with philosophies that won't cut it for football at Nebraska

Ironically, those 7 years also displayed a philosophy that "won't cut it" for Nebraska football.

You will sit here and emphasize the importance of the run game as vital to Nebraska's success, then totally dismiss the fact that stopping the run is equally important. It's hilarious! You're blinded by a loyalty to somebody, and it's causing you to ignore the serious downfalls of his "philosophy". A philosophy, I remind you, that he was given seven years to establish, alter or modify, and improve upon. The fact that you've labeled this current coaches tenure a failure already is just plain stupidity.

Stop coming here. The only reason you should come here is for me to give you my weekly YSU penguin update.

YSU lost 38 - 8 to the powerhouse South Dakota State. SDSU ran the ball 46 times and averaged 4.6 yards per carry. Sound familiar?

My post was about Osborne, but thanks anyway.

We just beat a team with a 4-2 record. Lets not forget that one of those losses came to a team rated in the Top 5 nationally. (TCU)

This was to this point the best team we beat. Our best win of the season.

Its a building block game. I heard post game interviews and players were talking about how this game should have gotten everyone on the same page finally.

Lets see how next week plays out. The Riley system worked well against Minnesota. If you need proof, we lost two in a row to this team. Frankly, Minnesota embarrassed us the last two years because they sucked. Now, we beat them, its not a good win because we almost threw the game away by passing the ball in the fourth. Lets just say that I would rather see a team go out and win the game as to just sit and play not to lose the game.

Once fans realize that our O-line isn't all Big 10 caliber, our Rb's are not All Big 10 caliber, and our Qb on average isn't All-Big 10 as well the wins will seem sweeter and the losses less bitter.

Pieces of our O-line are good, our Rb's are decent, and TA is up and down. When TA plays like yesterday, he is a player who could be All Big 10. If our O-line blocks like yesterday, they could challenge against the West Div.

I think more than anything our team yesterday played together and for one another. This is what we have looked for all season. Improvement. Major improvement against a Big 10 team.

• Fire 1