DB Struggles

Redux

Didn't the DBs in the previous defense always keep a hand on the reciever? I noticed yesterday we weren't doing that and so when our DB turns to look for the ball it's easier for him to lose his man.

Our DBs turned to look for a ball? Not sure you were watching the Husker game if you saw that...

You missed their first TD.

• Fire 3

I a lot of people in the know are questioning why we don't bring our CB's up. Why doesn't someone in the media ask this question during the pressers? I am interested in knowing why we don't.

Seemed strange to me, too. Unless they were playing Quarter-Quarter-Half, I have no idea what one CB was always at safety depth. It'd do no harm bringing them up in the WRs face and would at least eliminate the notion at presnap that there was going to be a gaping cushion there.

I a lot of people in the know are questioning why we don't bring our CB's up. Why doesn't someone in the media ask this question during the pressers? I am interested in knowing why we don't.

honestly. I think its a matter of timing an circumstance. These guys are so used to playing with help over top that the new coaches probably see issues with technique in practice pop up that scares them away from press coverage. Take away the deep ball stop the run and lets make average qbs find windows all. I really believe this is the mindset.

The lack of press bothers me too. But i think i understand the reason.

Novice eyes here, but don't you open up to the deep ball by lining up too close? Probably don't need to invite that any more than we already do. But you can't get killed by the quick hitters, either.

I hear "corners are playing off" as a complaint all the time at every level of football. If it were empirically, objectively better, nobody would ever do this. And yet, people do. So there must be a reason for having that look.

Novice eyes here, but don't you open up to the deep ball by lining up too close? Probably don't need to invite that any more than we already do. But you can't get killed by the quick hitters, either.

I hear "corners are playing off" as a complaint all the time at every level of football. If it were empirically, objectively better, nobody would ever do this. And yet, people do. So there must be a reason for having that look.

The two primary reasons why you have your secondary guys lined up before the snap further away from the line of scrimmage ('playing off') would presumably be that you feel your players are either: 1 not fast enough to run with the opposing teams receivers and could therefore get burned deep by letting them get behind you if played up close to the line of scrimmage (in tighter coverage so to speak). Playing closer would theoretically discourage a QB from throwing to the receivers because he would appear to be 'well covered' and QBs are taught NOT to throw to 'covered' receivers, or 2 they are not well skilled in the techniques of positioning and defending the throws, etc. Of course, if you are playing 'zone' where a defender protects an area rather than blanketing one particular receiver, then you might be placing your defenders in the zones you wish to defend. You may wish to force the throws short and to the sidelines in an attempt to control the area where passes may be caught to defend against allowing deep completions and other big plays.

Some of you guys who are much more expert than I in the techniques of secondary coverages and schemes and playmaking, can correct me or explain further. Not all of us are well versed in the nuances of pass defense.

• Fire 1

One thing I will say is that it takes a certain type of CB to be comfortable playing press. You need a unique blend of traits... physicality, very fluid hips and good long speed to turn and run if you do get beat on the press or they want to test you, great play recognition, and supreme confidence.

I'd surmise perhaps our CBs are just not there yet. Mentally, I definitely understand since they're still learning this new system. I can't speak to the physical capability of our CBs to press. Either way, targeting very talented CBs should be a priority for this staff moving forward if they want to stick with this scheme.

• Fire 2

While Nebraska has allowed more passing yards than any other team in FBS, they also have had the most passes thrown against them in FBS, 310. Oregon has had 308. Wisconsin has had about 208 for comparison.

Yards/completion Nebraska is 32nd, but around 90th in yards per attempt (i.e., they allow a fairly high completion percentage on short throws. 74th in pass efficiency defense.

Other numbers:19th in red zone defense, but that is deceiving because there have been a lot of red zone trips. Exactly tied with Southern Miss, coincidently. The Badgers are third in red zone defense but they have only allowed 11 red zone trips, vs 29 for the Huskers. And you have to be careful how you interpret that one cause the KS Jayhawks and Purdue are 28th and 29th, but have allowed about 40 trips into the red zone