Screen passes improved

dergibog

The Huskers had more success with the screen pass against Minnesota. Against Wisconsin, there was a screen with three blockers and only two Badger defenders. The only block was by the referee! The 3 Husker linemen all whiffed. Also Tommy's passes in the screen game were better. Hope this improvement continues.

Gotta love a good screen play! Combined with a few hooks and square outs the middle run game will be more consistent. Once that's established that random post pass makes more sense.

Yes, exactly. +1.

For our constant whiners that are stuck in 1994 complaining about not running enough, another question I have for them is, what do you want to do with Pierson-El, Westerkamp, and Moore? Three seriously talented receivers. Do you want to just let them block and never give the ball to them in space?

One of the screens in the MN game could have gone a long, long, way but Kondolo totally wiffed on his block.

I hit rewind a couple of times on that play. That had 6 points written all over it if that block is made. It's the little things like that missed block that frustrates me the most about this team.

For our constant whiners that are stuck in 1994 complaining about not running enough, another question I have for them is, what do you want to do with Pierson-El, Westerkamp, and Moore? Three seriously talented receivers. Do you want to just let them block and never give the ball to them in space?

If Newby is averaging 8.9 yards per carry in a ballgame, then the obvious answer is yes...

...which begs this question to be asked of you: If a running back is averaging 8.9 yards per carry, do you want to take the ball out of his hands?

If Newby is averaging 8.9 yards per carry in a ballgame, then the obvious answer is yes...

...which begs this question to be asked of you: If a running back is averaging 8.9 yards per carry, do you want to take the ball out of his hands?

averages can be deceiving. one big gain or loss can skew it.

i havent been paying attention but have teams been loading the box like they have in the past? has the threat of the pass actually improved the running game?

Gotta love a good screen play! Combined with a few hooks and square outs the middle run game will be more consistent. Once that's established that random post pass makes more sense.

Yes, exactly. +1.

Nobody on here really has said to never throw the ball. Most in my view are saying we need to quit throwing so many incomplete passes as they are putting is in punting formations way too often and giving our opponents way too much time to run their offenses. Our defense is being put under too much pressure because our offense is way too often 3 quick incompletes and done. We should be throwing the ball about 32 times a game and running it about 45 times a game.

has the threat of the pass actually improved the running game?

Actually, the incomplete passes on first and second down takes Nebraska out of its running game. Case in point, first and ten, Newby runs for 15 yards...followed by an incomplete pass, incomplete pass, incomplete pass, punt. Nothing there that improves the run.

The running game has improved with the use of Janovich and Newby isn't hesitating as much when he hits the hole / line of scrimmage. Armstrong's running has been good also, but he has taken 86 yards worth of sacks that counts against his run totals and doesn't show up on the bad side of the ledger for passing.