Tommy Armstrong quote....

klb835

Lol the ego in these posts are amazing. We havnt won a conference title since 1998. None of the recruits besides the Nebraska kids, give a f#*k what we did in 1995.

If you are correct, then it is not surprising we are not a top ten team. Obviously, if high school football stars (frankly we don't invite any 'non stars' to play for us) have no basic knowledge of the schools, teams, coaches and players (past and present) of the schools they are interested in attending, then it is only expected they really won't care much about winning or losing games. You need some basic knowledge and interest in the team, school, program and coaching staffs in order to make any kind of intelligent decision about which college is a good 'fit'. If kids don't have any idea where they want to go to school, then it is unlikely they will come to play with the kind of desire and passion needed to become great players. Whether a team wins or loses is dependent on a number of things. Among the most important is desire and passion and hunger to win! Coaches can inspire the team somewhat but one can't take a bunch of strangers from all over the country and bring them together and turn them into champions if they don't want to be. To become a champion, you have to want to at an intense, high level; well beyond the level of one's opponents. It is not enough to be a great athlete, you must have a burning desire, a yearning and craving for being the best, playing as hard as one can and making the sacrifice to accomplish lofty goals.

A team comprised of players with no clue as the heritage of the program is starting without the important motivating source for the drive and effort to become the best. High school athletes who are stars in the local schools have to understand that what was relatively easy in high school will be very difficult and require the utmost effort and the work ethic common to a very small percentage of athletes, and a passion. You bring 85 scholarship kids in and you MUST ensure they desire and effort is there.

Thanks for getting it.

Tommie Frazier probably knew nothing about Jerry Tagge, Jeff Kinney or Johnny Rodgers... And that turned out ok.

I grew up in Lincoln during the 70s and 80s, but I didn't know jack about the 70-71 teams even though older people were always talking about them. To be honest I still really don't, other than knowing some of the players names, opponents, and highlight plays. The year 1971 seemed like ancient history when I was 20-years-old.

We get older and time shrinks down. Now, to me 1995 doesn't seem that long ago, but to Armstrong it's ancient history..

Google who won the national championship two years after you were born.

Now, without looking, name two players from that team.

I was born in 1981.

We don't need to finish that story.

Ha, I graduated high school in 1981. You could be one of my illegitimate progeny.... :P

83....was that the year we got hosed on the bulging sideline in the Penn State game?

I think we can really appreciate a guy like Jack Gangwish who grew up in Nebraska, and shared that Nebraska fandom with us before becoming a player here...and still recognize that this isn't everybody. It's not people who didn't come from Nebraska, for the most part. They had their own sports heroes and teams growing up, but it doesn't diminish that they're now part of the Nebraska tradition. They don't need to be a scholar in Cornhusker history.

I would like to know from those who think the players should know the "history" of the football program where they play, just exactly how extensive their historical knowledge should be? Should the Minnesota players know anything about their last national championship team in 1960? Should Harvard football players know anything about their most recent national championship in 1919? Maybe someone with more time than me can look up those teams' message boards and find out if their fan base is all worked up about their starting QB not knowing much about their awesome teams of the past.