Tommy Armstrong quote....

klb835

I guessed Georgia with Hershel Walker won the MNC. I was wrong.

Clemson actually won it (should have known that as they beat Nebraska in the Orange). As for players... ummmm... William "Refrigerator" Perry???? No clue with anyone else.

eta: only other player's name that I recognize on 81 Clemson is Donald Igwebuike

As others have said, this topic is kind of ridiculous. I don't remember a time in my life that I wasn't a Nebraska fan. My folks were decking me out in Huskers gear since I was a toddler. I attended my first game in 1975, and have never cared about any other football team a fraction as much as I do about Nebraska - not even the university that I attended (UAB). I was born in '69, and obviously the '71 team was kind of a big deal. Without looking it up, though, I'd be hard pressed to name more than a handful of players from the '71 roster. The only ones I don't even need to think about are Rogers and Tagge, and others like Glover I know more for the '72 season.

Most of these kids didn't grow up as Nebraska fans like most of us, and they have more important stuff to worry about than what was going on when they were still learning to speak. They're not here to learn about the past, they're here to get an education and play football.

Coincidentally, one of my coaches in high school played for Alabama and played against Nebraska in the '72 Orange Bowl. Those were good years for UA, and the Orange Bowl against us was still a painful memory for him a decade and a half later hehe.

• Fire 1

IA State Husker...if you want to see the context how about you google it. I found the press conference with Tommy in two seconds. Try it out and then get your context...moron

Sure, I guess that's one way to present information. Tell everyone to "go google it, motherf@cker!"

Another way would be to provide a link.

• Fire 1

Lol the ego in these posts are amazing. We havnt won a conference title since 1998. None of the recruits besides the Nebraska kids, give a f#*k what we did in 1995.

If you are correct, then it is not surprising we are not a top ten team. Obviously, if high school football stars (frankly we don't invite any 'non stars' to play for us) have no basic knowledge of the schools, teams, coaches and players (past and present) of the schools they are interested in attending, then it is only expected they really won't care much about winning or losing games. You need some basic knowledge and interest in the team, school, program and coaching staffs in order to make any kind of intelligent decision about which college is a good 'fit'. If kids don't have any idea where they want to go to school, then it is unlikely they will come to play with the kind of desire and passion needed to become great players. Whether a team wins or loses is dependent on a number of things. Among the most important is desire and passion and hunger to win! Coaches can inspire the team somewhat but one can't take a bunch of strangers from all over the country and bring them together and turn them into champions if they don't want to be. To become a champion, you have to want to at an intense, high level; well beyond the level of one's opponents. It is not enough to be a great athlete, you must have a burning desire, a yearning and craving for being the best, playing as hard as one can and making the sacrifice to accomplish lofty goals.

A team comprised of players with no clue as the heritage of the program is starting without the important motivating source for the drive and effort to become the best. High school athletes who are stars in the local schools have to understand that what was relatively easy in high school will be very difficult and require the utmost effort and the work ethic common to a very small percentage of athletes, and a passion. You bring 85 scholarship kids in and you MUST ensure they desire and effort is there.

Oregon's uniforms are cool. Alabama and the SEC are dominant last 8-10 yrs, conference realignment across the board, Xbox live w call of duty marathon sessions, selfies, Instagram, Twitter, 24 news cycles, and Facebook have changed a generation of "how can I fit in and assimilate, make drastic changes in my life to achieve greatness as a team; to learn the history so that I can my team can make our own history?"

These kids don't give a flying f#*k what happened 20 yrs unless they are apart of a championship team themselves; or if it can somehow help increase their Instagram followers. You think tommy could have said, "it's a great history and I see those trophies, the all Americans who played here. We are trying to achieve that ourselves"

But he knows Grant Wistrom ain't walkin through the door w his pads on anytime soon.

They are 20 yr old college kids who are living in the NOW, which is different than THEN

Without looking it up, I don't really know much about the Huskers team from when I was 2. Oh well.

See? That's all I'm saying.

And if the National Champion from someone's 2nd year of life wasn't the team they grew up rooting for, it'd be even more unlikely that you'd know much about them. So Tommy not knowing much about the 1995 team is understandable. Much ado about nothing.

no sense of pride for wearing the N on his helmet?

This s*** makes my blood boil.

You don't understand how much pride Tommy has for the 'N' on his helmet? You really don't? Go back and watch the second half of that Miami game.

Yeah, that was where it got stupid. I mean the whole initial idea was kind of meh, but to go from "the kid doesn't know much about the 95 Huskers", to " he has no sense of pride for wearing the N on his helmet"; that was another level of WTF. Matter of fact, Tommy seems to be one of the more bought in and most competitive guys out there. Don't question that kids devotion for a second, I don't think it can be denied. This kid gets it, he's just too damn young and grew up far from the corn fields of Nebraska to know the history of this place. I'd like to think these guys go back and check out some tapes, some of those youtube videos we've got an entire thread devoted too, but it's not a requirement by any means. It doesn't mean much at all.

Honestly guys, we need to start devoting at least half the time we devote to finding things to bitch about, try to start a thread about something positive. Who even cares what it is. It's time to turn the page on this constant negativity we've gotten too familiar with. We got rid of the clown running the circus, so let's stop following his act.

• Fire 1