Tommy Armstrong quote....

klb835

Google who won the national championship two years after you were born.

Now, without looking, name two players from that team.

I was born in 1981.

We don't need to finish that story.

Ha, I graduated high school in 1981. You could be one of my illegitimate progeny.... :P

83....was that the year we got hosed on the bulging sideline in the Penn State game?

Dude was 5 yards out of bounds on that catch and it was close to the first game of the year for us.

I would like to know from those who think the players should know the "history" of the football program where they play, just exactly how extensive their historical knowledge should be? Should the Minnesota players know anything about their last national championship team in 1960? Should Harvard football players know anything about their most recent national championship in 1919? Maybe someone with more time than me can look up those teams' message boards and find out if their fan base is all worked up about their starting QB not knowing much about their awesome teams of the past.

I think the "home grown kid's" we recruit, that are passionate about the past make better players, at least IMO. Whether or not the QB we have now cares much about our history I don't know. I love his competitiveness but he's not the answer for this style of offense.

I would like to know from those who think the players should know the "history" of the football program where they play, just exactly how extensive their historical knowledge should be? Should the Minnesota players know anything about their last national championship team in 1960? Should Harvard football players know anything about their most recent national championship in 1919? Maybe someone with more time than me can look up those teams' message boards and find out if their fan base is all worked up about their starting QB not knowing much about their awesome teams of the past.

Whooooos the masterrrrr??? Leeeeerooyyyyy? Movie came out when I was 5 but I seen it. Talking about your avatar sorry.

I would think he should at least maybe know what the greatest team in college football history did. Or if he bumps into Tommie Frazier he knows who it is? Idk

1982 Penn State

Todd Blackledge, and a TE (or was it a WR?) with REALLY long toes....This would be a great bar/tail gate conversation assuming everyone was different ages!

Disclaimer: Wiki game me Blackledge and who the champs were that year. Thinking about apologizing to Tommie Frazier now....

I was 2 when the 85 bears did their thing. I know their roster pretty well just because. Does he know who the first president was? I do and I wasnt born. My panties arent in a twist. I just think its odd, That hes not familiar with it. Ahman green who is that?? He played football here? Who is this tom osborne guy and why is this field named after him?

Well, it's clear you're uncomfortable with it, and more-so than you're letting on, because now you're insinuating he doesn't know who Green is or Tom Osborne in order to make a joke at his expense.

Lol the ego in these posts are amazing. We havnt won a conference title since 1998. None of the recruits besides the Nebraska kids, give a f#*k what we did in 1995.

If you are correct, then it is not surprising we are not a top ten team. Obviously, if high school football stars (frankly we don't invite any 'non stars' to play for us) have no basic knowledge of the schools, teams, coaches and players (past and present) of the schools they are interested in attending, then it is only expected they really won't care much about winning or losing games. You need some basic knowledge and interest in the team, school, program and coaching staffs in order to make any kind of intelligent decision about which college is a good 'fit'. If kids don't have any idea where they want to go to school, then it is unlikely they will come to play with the kind of desire and passion needed to become great players. Whether a team wins or loses is dependent on a number of things. Among the most important is desire and passion and hunger to win! Coaches can inspire the team somewhat but one can't take a bunch of strangers from all over the country and bring them together and turn them into champions if they don't want to be. To become a champion, you have to want to at an intense, high level; well beyond the level of one's opponents. It is not enough to be a great athlete, you must have a burning desire, a yearning and craving for being the best, playing as hard as one can and making the sacrifice to accomplish lofty goals.

A team comprised of players with no clue as the heritage of the program is starting without the important motivating source for the drive and effort to become the best. High school athletes who are stars in the local schools have to understand that what was relatively easy in high school will be very difficult and require the utmost effort and the work ethic common to a very small percentage of athletes, and a passion. You bring 85 scholarship kids in and you MUST ensure they desire and effort is there.

It's amazing you're drawing so much from so little context, unless I'm missing something? He was asked about the '95 team and somehow this is being extended to mean he has no "basic knowledge" of anything to do with the program? This is exactly what you're insinuating.

Not knowing the intricacies of your program's history is fine - you can have a lot of pride in your university and a lot of pride in your team without knowing a lot about a championship team from two decades ago. Do you think most TCU players really care that much that their program sucked a lot years ago when they were kids? Probably not. It may be a reflective thought but not something they think about on a daily basis.

This also assumes a lot of players commit to a university, and this simply is not true. Some players do. A lot of other players, however, commit to the head coach and the group of players on that team. That's why you see players transfer after a head coach is fired.

I bet the entire 1995 team, in 1995, wouldn't have been able to tell you a whole hell of a lot about the '71 championship team.

By extension, I wasn't alive in 1970-1971 but I take a lot of pride in those titles. I also couldn't name you 10 players from those teams. Does that then translate to me being less of a fan?

I was born in 1981.

We don't need to finish that story.

Ha, I graduated high school in 1981. You could be one of my illegitimate progeny.... :P

83....was that the year we got hosed on the bulging sideline in the Penn State game?

Dude was 5 yards out of bounds on that catch and it was close to the first game of the year for us.
1982 season was when we got screwed at Penn State.

1983 we lost to Miami in the OB when TO went for two.

Jeff Rutledge and Major Ogilvie.

Ok, I cheated.

I know who those 2 are, Alabama 1978 or 79?

78. I think Ogilvie was also there in 79.

I had to choose between them or USC with Marcus Allen and Ronnie Lott. Both schools claim 78.

If Bo woulda taught these current players more about the past this wouldnt be an issue.

It's not a Bo issue. Also, our current coach didn't even realize that red pants are the traditional road pants for NU. Shouldn't the head coach know that "history"?

i blame the white pants on Bo too. They started using them again at Fresno. LAST season. Havent seen the red ones since. Damn him.

All to hell.