Numbers to know: 1995 Nebraska

cg_8

1995. There are some more crazy stats from that team. Something like zero sacks and zero holding calls on the line. Anyone?

That is true. The 1995 team never gave up a single sack, never had a holding call, and I believe never had any procedural penalty called on the offensive line the entire season.

It's simply baffling when you look at all of the numbers and facts about that team. They are easily the Greatest College Football Team of All Time.

This was as close as we came to giving up a sack...

frazier-near-sack-cu-1995.gif

• Fire 1

The 1983 Nebraska Cornhuskers were probably better than all but the '95 squad, and just two yards away from being considered the most dominant team in college football history.

'71 team blows '83 away. The '71 team is easily the 2nd best CFB team ever assembled. They beat the final #2,#3 and #4 teams in the final polls. The only close game was the game of the century against the #2 Sooners.

The '83 offense might be the best offense ever, but the defense ws pretty pedestrian.

Hey, no one loved the 1971 Cornhuskers more than me, but the '83 team was simply awesome, and I think people forget how highly regarded they were going into that Orange Bowl. They were already considered historic. They made the cover of Time Magazine for God's sake.. You gotta close the deal to make history, of course, but it's unfortunate how a single play takes the entire team out of the conversation.

And I'm guilty of considering head-to-head matchups. The athletes get bigger and stronger and faster, the schemes more sophisticated, so it's hard to watch the 1971 team in today's context, or even 1983's context, and see them blowing contemporary teams away.

1971 Nebraska outscored opponents 40 to 8. 1983 Nebraska outscored opponents 52 to 15. I like the 8 point defense myself, but the domination goes either way.

But in the day? Yeah. '71 was pretty special.

Hey, no one loved the 1971 Cornhuskers more than me, but the '83 team was simply awesome, and I think people forget how highly regarded they were going into that Orange Bowl. They were already considered historic. They made the cover of Time Magazine for God's sake.. You gotta close the deal to make history, of course, but it's unfortunate how a single play takes the entire team out of the conversation.

And I'm guilty of considering head-to-head matchups. The athletes get bigger and stronger and faster, the schemes more sophisticated, so it's hard to watch the 1971 team in today's context, or even 1983's context, and see them blowing contemporary teams away.

1971 Nebraska outscored opponents 40 to 8. 1983 Nebraska outscored opponents 52 to 15. I like the 8 point defense myself, but the domination goes either way.

Yeah, I don't try to do that. If you could do the time machine thing, '95 would definitely crush '71. Rich Glover was one of the better DL of all time and he was listed at 6'1" 234.

The only fair and valid way to compare across eras is to compare how dominant each team was against their peers. Based on their performances against legitimate top 10 competition, '71 and '95 are head and shoulders above any other teams in history, and '95 gets the edge over '71.

I loved that Colorado game. Watched it in the Abel Hall snack bar. If I recall, this is the game that Skippy had CU come out through the stadium bleachers with some posers playing war drums or something..... I remember TO said later to the effect of "we knew they were already beaten when we saw that". The game was actually a little closer than I remember it being.... they actually moved the ball well on us at times and we only really pulled away at the end.

That was my freshman year. I'm two days older than Ahman Green so I sat next to him in a class where we all got sorted by our birthdays. We lived on the same floor in Abel. It was fun to watch him blossom from a quiet freshman to basically the #1 back by the end of that season. Still remember seeing him on the Abel elevator the day Tommie lost the Heisman.... he was gutted.

I saw that team 8 times in the flesh, including the Florida demolition. I still remember how utterly easy they made it look, week after week. There was nobody even close.

The Washington State game was the aberration.... they were pretty dead flat for much of the second half. I remember some starters had to go back in because WSU had scored twice in a short period of time after an onside kick.

I loved that Colorado game. Watched it in the Abel Hall snack bar. If I recall, this is the game that Skippy had CU come out through the stadium bleachers with some posers playing war drums or something..... I remember TO said later to the effect of "we knew they were already beaten when we saw that". The game was actually a little closer than I remember it being.... they actually moved the ball well on us at times and we only really pulled away at the end.

That was my freshman year. I'm two days older than Ahman Green so I sat next to him in a class where we all got sorted by our birthdays. We lived on the same floor in Abel. It was fun to watch him blossom from a quiet freshman to basically the #1 back by the end of that season. Still remember seeing him on the Abel elevator the day Tommie lost the Heisman.... he was gutted.

I saw that team 8 times in the flesh, including the Florida demolition. I still remember how utterly easy they made it look, week after week. There was nobody even close.

The Washington State game was the aberration.... they were pretty dead flat for much of the second half. I remember some starters had to go back in because WSU had scored twice in a short period of time after an onside kick.

NU was up 31-14 at half, and controlled most of the game. Yes, CU did cut the lead to 10 in the 3rd quarter, but I never thought NU was in trouble of losing the game.

The margin of victory for both teams is misleading because the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and even 5th teamers saw so much playing time. In several games, either of those teams could have scored over 100 if they wanted too.